S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Lag/Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get it why you guys are so hanged up on those 1st vs. 2nd gear starts. The lag is even apparent even if you manually chose to start in 1st gear, dynamic mode or comfort mode doesn't really matter. I'm getting used to the lag until I drive someone else's naturally aspirated car, even if it's a 4 cylinder Toyota. Even the slightest pressure of the accelerator gets the car moving just the right amount. My S5 meanwhile has two modes, not moving fast enough or ***** to the wall flying. It's especially annoying in bumper to bumper traffic. The D and S transmission modes are also annoying. While cruising, "D" keeps the car in 7th gear, "S" keeps it 5th gear and what you really want to be in is 6th gear...

Last edited by Stankia; 10-04-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

The only thing that's worse than this non-linear acceleration is the automatic braking with the ACC in Traffic Jam Assist: no braking and "jeez we're about to die" full brake...
Old 10-05-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stankia
I don't get it why you guys are so hanged up on those 1st vs. 2nd gear starts. The lag is even apparent even if you manually chose to start in 1st gear, dynamic mode or comfort mode doesn't really matter. I'm getting used to the lag until I drive someone else's naturally aspirated car, even if it's a 4 cylinder Toyota. Even the slightest pressure of the accelerator gets the car moving just the right amount. My S5 meanwhile has two modes, not moving fast enough or ***** to the wall flying. It's especially annoying in bumper to bumper traffic. The D and S transmission modes are also annoying. While cruising, "D" keeps the car in 7th gear, "S" keeps it 5th gear and what you really want to be in is 6th gear...
I'm going to have to go to the dealer and -- if they have any B8 S4's -- ask to drive something "comparable" to my B9 S4. Of course, I could always drive a new A6 since they're still supercharged.

I need to do this simply because I do see/feel/hear a difference between D and S -- and I have to assume I would feel the 1st vs 2nd gear start.

I did -- initially -- like the DSG transmission better (probably because I was used to it). The Tip is smoother, but with one more gear, the tip quickly made me see the car stayed in its sweet spot (its RPM sweet spot) as it walked up through the gears.

I have no intention -- not really even a hope -- of convincing someone who has a new S4 that there is no "lag" if they are already convinced otherwise.

My intention is to assure a new to the brand participant that the 2018 S4, if driven in S mode, has not -- in nearly 7,000 miles -- given me any indication that I would attribute to "lag." Whenever I think there is some kind of delay, it has always turned out to be I started out in D, unintentionally.

Since convincing someone who has one there is no lag is not my intention, my overall suggestion, then, is -- if you are considering a new S4 and have read posts from those who say there is and those who say there isn't [lag] -- to go to your dealer and take a long test drive (or two or three test drives). Also, unless you are Audi-biased, try a BMW i6 AWD (X-drive) 3-series and a Mercedes (C class AWD). I am assuming there are turbo examples (6-cylinder) from all three of the Germans to test. I assume it would be "safe" to do so at about the $60K+ MSRP to keep the comparison as realistic as possible, too. I assume you could also try something from Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus. I believe Infiniti has a "hot rod" Q50/Red that is turbo-charged and is in the price range; you may want to try that one too.

Other than one of the ATS or CTS Cadillacs, I would have no idea what to suggest from a US mfgr.

The point is, there are ways to satisfy yourself beyond proclamations and declarations made by those of us here on AW.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know exactly what you’re on about m8

I currently drive a brand new S5, my previous car was a 2014 S4. Both of them had the lag you’re talking about, not turbo lag as most of these clowns are on about??? If I’m correct, u mean as soon as u put your foot down, it takes a split (but noticeable) second to respond? Yes, putting it in Dynamic or Sport mode does improve it slightly, but u shouldn’t have to. I complained and it took me to my S5 to sort it out. Apparently it’s because the throttle is electronic (not old stile cable connected to the engine) and it takes the computer a split second to catch up!!!! It’s possible to set it up and once mines was, totally fixed that issue. Take your car to Audi and tell them this, there’s an easy way to set your throttle up. Hope this helps m8
Old 10-21-2017, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Second reply

Apologies for replying twice, but I’ve re-read your whole question again. As I’ve said in my other reply, my previous car was a B8.5 2014 S4, which I observed the same issue. U state u didn’t have this issue with a B8 S4? Could it be that the acceleration was i simpler process in that car???
Old 10-21-2017, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Irrelevant

Wow, you’re clearly clued up - about utter magumba!!!! How do these lines of utter horsehit (which i’m sure make sense to you and probably refer to cars) answer the original question?
Old 10-21-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Impressed

You’re far more diplomatic than I am friend, this utter schmeirdo has took at least 20 mins out of his day to type 4 paragraphs of utter horse****!!! What a ****ing loser
Old 10-21-2017, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2017 S5 replaces 2014 S4

I’m sorry but I don’t know how this works, I’m sorry if you’ve read my previous replies. If I’m on the same page as you, I definitely have the solution to your problem as I noticed it also. I had the same problem with my B8.5 S4 and the dealership said it was common, nothing they could do. I bought the new S5 in June and if anything it was more obvious. When I originally explained it I ****ed up, they automatically assumed what I was talking about was turbo lag (how they thought that with a B8.5 S4 is ridiculous when u think about it, but I just accepted it). When it happened again with my S5 and I kept complaining, they eventually took notice. It’s to do with the fact that the modern day accelerator pedal is basically a potentiometer, there’s no longer a cable connected to the engine, just an electrical signal sent depending on the position of your foot. Apparently the human brain tells the foot to push the accelerator, your foot hits the floor, but there’s a minuscule delay before the computer reacts and actually tells the engine to accelerate. The sensitivity can easily be adjusted at an Audi garage, god knows why they don’t just set it at the best to start off with🤔
Old 10-21-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

............wat?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven a 2007 Audi S4 for the last 6 years, JHM tuned with instant throttle response and power, the new 2018 S4 I just bought is faster, and yes, if driven in D mode and i roll through a stop (so it will still be in 2nd if you're rolling even at 1 mph) it does lag, but at a complete stop, in 1st gear, and especially in S mode, there is little to no lag. Either you're not doing it right, or you just don't want to like it, this S4 is the fastest ever, so you'll just have to figure it out on your own.

Quick Reply: Lag/Hesitation