S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Lag/Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
The one I test drove dodmthe same thing.

Are you suggesting that a car that's capable of achieving 0-60 in 4.4 seconds has enough 'lag' at a normal launch (even in "D" mode) that pulling out into traffic could be dangerous? That's what the OP was suggesting.
My B5 twin turbo (K03) S4 had no such issue, and it had 100 less HP and 75lb-ft less torque. This does not smell like turbo lag to me.

The only fear I have when I'm pulling out in traffic is running up the *** of the person that passed in front of me.

Last edited by Talbot; 05-08-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

The car is already on boost by the time you have gone a couple of metres. It has noticeably more low down torque than the B8 engine. The ZF transmission is not as sharp as the S tronic transmission. The map is crappy - seems slow on the up-change and cutting too much torque. But in S mode, it is still quite quick from a standstill. The OP's car sounds broken. D mode is useless - think of it as an overdrive button. It is designed purely to keep the engine below boost as often as possible. But every new car is doing the same thing.

It could be an ECU problem: engine ECU, transmission ECU, chassis ECU can all cut torque in certain situations. Could be a transmission fault. But if he drove an S5, and it did the same thing, maybe it is a fuel problem. But there's definitely a problem.

The OP is either in the US or UK (miles...). If the UK, make sure you don't have the hill/start assist button on if you have this option.

Whatever, to have a dealer tell you to ring Audi to find a solution seems appalling. That's their job. Get a new dealer.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
The OP is either in the US or UK (miles...)
I'm going with UK since he mentioned roundabouts.

Originally Posted by Glisse
Whatever, to have a dealer tell you to ring Audi to find a solution seems appalling. That's their job. Get a new dealer.
Totally agree.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: A place where I'm halfway to getting my degree. But with life reminding me, it's not easy.

Originally Posted by Talbot
I'm going with UK since he mentioned roundabouts.
What about that word gives it away?
Old 05-08-2017, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRyu
What about that word gives it away?

Old 05-08-2017, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you suggesting that a car that's capable of achieving 0-60 in 4.4 seconds has enough 'lag' at a normal launch (even in "D" mode) that pulling out into traffic could be dangerous? That's what the OP was suggesting.
My B5 twin turbo (K03) S4 had no such issue, and it had 100 less HP and 75lb-ft less torque. This does not smell like turbo lag to me.

The only fear I have when I'm pulling out in traffic is running up the *** of the person that passed in front of me.
I don't even know how to answer your question. I'm simply saying that from a dead stop in a straight line, just flooring the accelerator, I felt turbo lag. I have a long history with both factory and aftermarket turbos going back 35 years. That is my opinion based upon my experience. In today's world of electronics, fuel cut-off, torque management etc, it could be one, or a combination of more than one reason.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Let me throw in one more possibility. If you are gunning it from a stop into a turn, you will have the ESP proactively holding back the horses to avoid a spin out. This happens to me in my RS5. I have this busy merge near my house and I often have to gun it, otherwise I'll be sitting there twiddling my thumbs for a while. It's accelerating into a left turn, immediately followed by a right turn. The car with ESP on does not accelerate at full bore for good reasons, because if I put ESP in Sport mode and do the same maneuver, I'm going sideways through the merge with all four tires scrambling for grip. Ask me how I know :-). And that's with less off the line torque than the S4 engine produces.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-08-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I don't even know how to answer your question. I'm simply saying that from a dead stop in a straight line, just flooring the accelerator, I felt turbo lag. I have a long history with both factory and aftermarket turbos going back 35 years. That is my opinion based upon my experience. In today's world of electronics, fuel cut-off, torque management etc, it could be one, or a combination of more than one reason.
I'm.not refuting your history or experience, nor am I suggesting turbo lag does not exist. I'm simply trying to help maintain the context of the original post - one where he feels his car is laggy to the point is is dangerous to pull out into traffic.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm.not refuting your history or experience, nor am I suggesting turbo lag does not exist. I'm simply trying to help maintain the context of the original post - one where he feels his car is laggy to the point is is dangerous to pull out into traffic.
I understand and appreciate what you are saying. Here is why my response. First of all, the lag is never as long as it seems like it is. Everything we do in life is measured against expectations. When you mash the throttle on a 369 lb ft sports sedan you expect it to haul butt and leave everything in its dust, including oncoming traffic. If there is a .5 second delay you have an "oh crap" feeling. But if .5 seconds is enough to get you into an accident you were an idiot to pull out anyway. Does that make sense to my response?
Old 05-08-2017, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a lag/hesitation issue in a Volvo XC-60 3.2L

I would stomp on it and it would think about it, and eventually pull well. I didn't think much of is since it was my wife's car and not my daily driver until I took it on a road trip with the family. Then I was afraid for my life. Eventually it started throwing codes and telling me to "reduce engine speed" at low RPM which was uber weird. Dealer couldn't find anything. After I had a XC-90 loaner with the same engine with bigger *****, I cried BS. The dealer brought out a Volvo engineer who took a look and they narrowed it down to a loud oil pump setting off the knock sensor. No codes mind you, just something not right. They replaced the oil pump, power and responsiveness were dramatically improved and the car never had another problem until the garage (and house) flooded from 26" of rain in 16 hrs.

Last edited by Tatge; 05-08-2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: I cannot type to save my life

Quick Reply: Lag/Hesitation