S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Launch control

Old 04-20-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I have no idea why anyone would ever need to use launch control -- unless you're on a track.

Having said that, I did try it ONCE on my 2014 S4 (which has the DSG). It works exactly as has been noted here. However, if you are sitting at a full stop and simply floor the accelerator (I keep my transmission in S mode all of the time), the effect is not materially different (in butt feel) from the launch control mode. The thing is, using launch control is a deliberate act -- I would find it difficult to believe this mode would be used in any amount of traffic other than "very light" where the procedure won't **** anyone off nor put you or anyone else in any jeopardy.

I guess it's nice to have this feature -- but in 50,000 miles, I've only used it once.

It seems like it MUST stress the drive train. I see no merit in doing this.

On the other hand, I have certainly floored the car many times in 50,000 miles.

The problem even with doing that is that you need to punch it when the road around you is almost clear -- the S4 ROCKETS and surges to speed so quickly, you will overtake virtually everything else.

Whenever possible, since I know the S4 has more acceleration capability than virtually all other cars on a typical roadway, I feel "forced" to maintain lots of "space" around me when I'm feeling the need for speed (and acceleration).

With all due respect to the engineers that make launch control possible -- my car is my transportation, and I drive on public roads -- it jus' ain't no thang.
Launch control is not something one would use on a daily basis. It wears out the clutches over time and that's why there is a limit of 200 launches on cars like the outgoing S4 with S-tronic. Obviously not an issue with the torque converter launches, but it definitely puts more stress and wear on the drivetrain, especially with AWD as it takes much more to break traction. But it's also not that deliberate of an action. Once you are in ESC Sport mode and the transmission is in S auto or S manual, it's just a matter of flooring the the throttle pedal before letting go of the brakes. Easy to do multiple times in a row if so desired.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stillwaterS6
Can you tell us the VIN of the one you did it on? I want to avoid a non-broken in engine having launch control done to it. This is the reason I will only ever take a car right off the truck (order or in-process order).

Yes, I know i just stepped on the 3rd rail of car forums in bringing up break-in periods. Happy Thursday!
It isn't that serious and within the design of the car. As with anything if you abuse it your mileage will vary. And you don't need launch control to abuse a car. Personally? I would not have an issue purchasing a car in which the previous owner used launch control a few times. It isn't a big deal.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not really what I am saying. I am saying that on a test drive for a brand new car that thing is nowhere near 100 miles. And the owners manual states about break in about not going long times under constant speed, no full throttle and no redline. I agree that these cars are engineered to do it - but at the same time those engineers give guidance on the first 500 miles too.

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
It isn't that serious and within the design of the car. As with anything if you abuse it your mileage will vary. And you don't need launch control to abuse a car. Personally? I would not have an issue purchasing a car in which the previous owner used launch control a few times. It isn't a big deal.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's not really what I am saying. I am saying that on a test drive for a brand new car that thing is nowhere near 100 miles. And the owners manual states about break in about not going long times under constant speed, no full throttle and no redline. I agree that these cars are engineered to do it - but at the same time those engineers give guidance on the first 500 miles too.
I'm willing to bet that they drive the crap out of them at the factory before they even get to the dealership. But i'm with you with on break in. I've tried both methods and the factory recommendation worked best for me. Easy until first service, avoid highways.

Last edited by Spoonie G; 04-21-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for letting me have my delusion of reality. It's appreciated.

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
I'm willing to bet that they drive the crap out of them at the factory before they even gets to the dealership. But i'm with you with on break in. I've tried both methods and the factory recommendation worked best for me. Easy until first service, avoid highways.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you for letting me have my delusion of reality. It's appreciated.
They also dyno test the engines😊
Old 05-02-2017, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can confirm the 2018 S4 Prestige does in fact have launch control as stated in the manual. My previous 2015 A6 also had launch control, but was APR Stage 2 tuned also...both ave the ZF 8 Spd, although the S4 i think has the 50 vs the 45 in the A6