S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

License plate screws

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 02:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License plate screws

went to change out the temp tag for license plates to find the dealer totally jacked up the front and rear license plate mounts. What screws should I get to replace? Can these mounts be ordered for new ones?
Old 02-26-2019, 03:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by oscarsq7
went to change out the temp tag for license plates to find the dealer totally jacked up the front and rear license plate mounts. What screws should I get to replace? Can these mounts be ordered for new ones?
Are you talking about the 4 screws that hold the tag or the mounts attached to the car? ECS has the right size screw but if dealer damaged your mounts they need to install new ones for you
Old 02-26-2019, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mattq5s4
Are you talking about the 4 screws that hold the tag or the mounts attached to the car? ECS has the right size screw but if dealer damaged your mounts they need to install new ones for you
they used a Mix of screws of various sizes- one of them stripped the plastic away from the clip on the mounting bracket and the front they screwed some giant *** screws in and totally blew the holes out.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oscarsq7

they used a Mix of screws of various sizes- one of them stripped the plastic away from the clip on the mounting bracket and the front they screwed some giant *** screws in and totally blew the holes out.
The ones that did my front one ended up screwing the plate into the damn front grill...getting a whole new grill now for free because of this mess. I was going to get one of those two cable license plate mounts and went to take mine off to see what the plate would need and found the damage.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran into the same problem as Spartan-S4 with my dealer. They screwed a dummy dealer plate into the bracket using self-taping screws that were too long and drilled into the grill. I would normally chalk this kind of thing up to being a stupid mistake, but I had warned my dealer not to do this a few days before they took delivering of my car and they ignored my warning. Fortunately, I discovered the damage when I picked it up and they replaced the entire grill free of charge. I then came up with my own way of attaching the front plate without using self-taping screws. I explained my solution here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...-woes-2939912/.

As for the rear plate, I found that the screws that came with my car for attaching the plate itself were far too long. I'm not sure if those came from Audi or were supplied by the dealership. I replaced them with M6x1.0 10 mm screws. Be sure not to over-tighten them because the plastic cage nuts in the rear plate frame itself are very weak and susceptible to twisting off and breaking.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

For the front plates on both my S4 and older Q5, instead of screws, I used outdoor double sided mounting tape from Home Depot (since I don’t have license plate brackets in the front of either). Hasn’t fallen off or moved in the past 4+ years on the Q5..