S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Longevity Expectations 2018 S4

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longevity Expectations 2018 S4

For those of us who buy a new car and keep it, and in this case for the 2018 S4, how many miles should we get out of the engine and transmission before a major repair is required? I'm thinking one should expect 150,000 miles--with all proper maintenance, of course....

What do you think?
Old 06-13-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Given the history of the 3.0L V6 FSI base engine, it is safe to say (knock on wood) that your guess may be a good one. This may be true if Audi's parts suppliers still maintain the same quality as those found in the B8/B8.5 series especially the later ones. The only question mark on this new 3.0L TFSI V6 engine is the turbocharger. However, based on the quality of the turbos found in the EA888 4-cylinder engines, it is safe to say that they will be long lived as long as the car is not abused and maintained properly.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Our 2014 SQ5 has 92,000 miles on it, uses NO oil between changes, gets better mileage now than it did at 45K and every system runs "without episode."

At this rate, then, 150K ought to be a slam-dunk.

The tightness of the body impresses me greatly. And, other than mntce, we've done nothing -- however we maintain it @ every 5,000 miles NOT every 10,000 miles.

Full disclosure.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OP, good question and one that I am wondering as well. There are two areas of concern for me. One is buying a first year model. Regardless of vendor, it is not uncommon for there to be gremlins. If or when the problem is known, hopefully Audi is able to release a fix and it doesn't impact long-term reliability. I believe this is the first release of Virtual Cockpit. Will it hold-up after 5-7 years, who knows.

I usually flip cars after 2-2.5 years. My intent is to keep my S4 for 4-6 years. Though if Audi releases an RS4 to the states I could see myself upgrading to it.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the VC was in the TT first, so the current one is just an iteration of what's come before. Also, the A4 was released in Europe as a 2015 model, so aside from pesky US smog regulations I guess the platform has had a little more time to marinate than your standard first-year model.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm with you on this topic as well. I don't lease cars, and I don't want to start either (even though lots of people say you should only lease German cars and buy Japanese cars).

I drive cars until they AT LEAST reach 150k, and usually keep until they reach 180-200k. I've had many friends with an A4 with the 2.0T who are now approaching 150k miles with no issues or major parts replacements, so that's a good sign. All of these people and myself, do all of the scheduled maintenance. Any of them do maintenance at a private German shop.

On the other hand, scheduled maintenance doesn't really include a lot of stuff other than oil changes, right? Used to be brake fluid, coolant,tranny fluid, and all sorts of other stuff. So sometimes it seems to be luck. How does the maintenance schedule look for the new S4? Lot of fluid replacements? Is the tranny fluid "sealed" and we aren't supposed to replace it?

Of course, things like more highway miles vs city, will mean more on the odometer without issues.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I feel like the dfi pomp is a bit too close to the turbo... but maybe that's not a bad thing and it can withstand the heat. I once had a Pontiac Solstice GXP and the direct fuel injection pomp broke. The new one they installed (under waranty) had a heat shield to protect it.

I think it's also worth to mention that this engine was co-developed with Porsche engineers. For me, it's a good thing

Last edited by Sebast007; 06-18-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebast007
I feel like the dfi pomp is a bit too close to the turbo... but maybe that's not a bad thing and it can withstand the heat. I once had a Pontiac Solstice GXP and the direct fuel injection pomp broke. The new one they installed (under waranty) had a heat shield to protect it.

I think it's also worth to mention that this engine was co-developed with Porsche engineers. For me, it's a good thing

Just curious...where do you see the dfi pump in that pic? I see the wastegate actuator, oil filter housing and diverter valve but I don't see the pump.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's not the pomp? Looks a lot like one but I'm no expert haha

Old 06-20-2017, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That there is the wastegate actuator, it like all the exhaust stuff, gets very hot. Look at all the heat shielding all over the place in the engine bay. Hot V means hot V! As I recall, but am not near my S5 right now, there is even more shielding on the hood... The engine is upside downish with the intake where the exhaust usually is. Go engineering technology!

https://www.audiworld.com/articles/t...ne-technology/

Excellent write up, our engine is down in the "Versatile powerhouse: the new 3.0 TFSI" section. Too bad the pictures aren't captioned well. The other thing I am still wrapping my head around is that the upcoming RS5 engine is this engine de-stroked 3.0L down to 2.9L with another turbocharger stuffed up in there that is not twin-scrolled....

Last edited by bbbobbb; 06-20-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Added link to cool engine tech in the 3.0L engine...

Quick Reply: Longevity Expectations 2018 S4