S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Mileage check thread: How's your S4 holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
@NHman: there's a TSB for the rear deck rattle, check with your dealer.
@nicotino15: believe I've heard the center dash speaker issue you're talking about. Only has happened very occasionally on podcasts/news radio. I mostly (90%) listen to music though and no issues there. I also have the same bolster wear, I am 5'11 / 185lbs with a very athletic build and agree entry/exit w/o sitting on the seat bolster is impossible even with the side bolsters fully deflated (via the easy entry/exit feature in MMI).
Would it be possible for you to provide some identifying characteristics of the TSB -- such as date and TSB #? My dealer can find no TSB relating to this issue in their access point to Audi's TSB data base. I'd like to be able to tell them about this, since, from time-to-time (over some seriously rough roads), the center head-rest (rear, obviously) will rattle.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took delivery in mid-November 2017
Mileage - 5779
75% highway/25% city (but in Los Angeles so really like 100% city)

Really the only 2 issues I'm having with the car is the gas mileage is much worse than advertised and there is a lot of rattling coming from the attachments where the door levers are (inside). Those plastic attachments seem to rattle over every bump I go over and make the cockpit noise somewhat annoying.

Other than that, car is so much from to drive in dynamic mode.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Mileage 10,100+ (80% highway 20% "residential")
Have had an oil change at 5K and 10K

- at first oil change @ 5,000 miles, wrong oil used, car not driven, oil sucked out and replaced with proper "B-cycle" oil+fresh filter (FOC, of course.)

Have replaced the windshield wiper blades (FOC)
Have replaced the tires (at about 8,500+ miles)
Have had the "radiator fan" communications module poop out (about a 2-week issue; was loaned a new A8L for the duration)
Have had ONE recall (the front speaker -- woofer -- trim "blades" had to be replaced since they are sharper than any knife used by surgeons, apparently)

Car has never left me stranded.
All of the "wear items" show 100% "as new" -- checklist provided at oil change intervals

Valve stem caps replaced under warranty as they were "metal" and could cause corrosion -- got dandy new plastic caps.

Car got a new engine (figuratively speaking at about 5,000 and 9,000 miles -- increase in power and gas mileage noted.)

98% always used top-tier gas: BP, Costco, or Shell exclusively

Car got quieter twice: once after 1,000+ (exhaust drone/roar quieted down; and when replacing OEM tires with new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s)

Had the windows tinted -- 60% light PASSAGE -- NOT blockage.

Have, thanks to folks here, inflated fronts to 37 and rears to 35.

Always, always, always run in "S" mode -- not "D" -- transforms the car.

Had DAP / ACC distance setting updated to default to "1".

Best of the 33 Audis I've had -- including my previous fave a manual transmission 5-cylinder, 20V S6 quattro.

Would get another one in a heartbeat.

Would love to drive an RS5 (SportBack) -- just for kicks and grins.

Did I say, best car (not just the best Audi) I've ever had?

Daytona
Red Leather
Prestige
DAP
18" w/UHP A/S shoes
Audi Beam Rings

Car was discounted ~6.5% off MSRP. Hers the same, but higher MSRP, of course.

My wife's:

SQ5 Prestige
Matador Red
Rotor Gray
Cold Weather Package
Audi Beam Rings
20% tint, including windshield
20" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
16,000+ miles

Great dealership (The Audi Connection) -- great people, great service, great service advisor, great service manager and great sales rep. Ordered as I wanted it, picked up the end of May 2017 Hers ordered; picked up about 75 days later.
My 2018 S4 is on a fixed service and tells me my first oil change due at 18k. I could never get my head around why some S4s are on fixed servicing and some on variable.

I have done 4.5k miles so far. Please can you advise when should I be changing oil ?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Linkers
My 2018 S4 is on a fixed service and tells me my first oil change due at 18k. I could never get my head around why some S4s are on fixed servicing and some on variable.

I have done 4.5k miles so far. Please can you advise when should I be changing oil ?
US guidance is "at 10,000 miles or 1 year after delivery, whichever comes first." In the US, Audi pays for your first oil change (or rather it is baked into the cost of the car) and they will accept it in for service under this program as early as 8500 miles (but no earlier--I asked).
Canada guidance is "at 15,000 kilometers or 1 year after delivery, whichever comes first." Don't know if they have a free first change program or whatnot.

What country are you in? I haven't heard of a variable service interval but either way, 18,000 miles sounds pretty damn long even if you are driving 95% highway in moderate climates on long trips. Then again, it is amazing how precise engine internal fitments are these days and how good modern synthetics are. You could sludge a brand new car's engine to death in 18,000 miles on dino oil just 15-20 years ago.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

US guidance is "at 10,000 miles or 1 year after delivery, whichever comes first." In the US, Audi pays for your first oil change (or rather it is baked into the cost of the car) and they will accept it in for service under this program as early as 8500 miles (but no earlier--I asked).
Canada guidance is "at 15,000 kilometers or 1 year after delivery, whichever comes first." Don't know if they have a free first change program or whatnot.

What country are you in? I haven't heard of a variable service interval but either way, 18,000 miles sounds pretty damn long even if you are driving 95% highway in moderate climates on long trips. Then again, it is amazing how precise engine internal fitments are these days and how good modern synthetics are. You could sludge a brand new car's engine to death in 18,000 miles on dino oil just 15-20 years ago.
Thanks for your reply mplsbrian. I'm based in the UK. One strange thing I have noticed is that I bought a 2017 S4 in Nov last year in which the MMI showed oil change at 10k miles or 1 year. There was a fuel pressure related manufacturing fault in it and Audi replaced my car with another brand new 2018 S4 in Dec 2017. And my current car has oil change at 18k or 2 years according the MMI (which sounds like a long time).

I did ask the guy who handed me the car about it and he said, they set the Audi recommended servicing (fixed or variable) for the car which could vary for each model.

Do you think I stick to the MMI or get the oil replaced at 10k ?

Also, it would be interesting to see what the S4 2018 owners in the UK have in their MMI for oil change.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like they programmed in the flexible service schedule, which isn't a good idea unless you truly spend most of your drives doing long distance motorway legs. Even then, I don't think I would be comfortable going that long myself.

Pasting in a table from Audi UK (Link:https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/s...your-audi.html)

Personally I would have them reset it to Fixed, but as it says above you can get more info from your local Audi Centre.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
It looks like they programmed in the flexible service schedule, which isn't a good idea unless you truly spend most of your drives doing long distance motorway legs. Even then, I don't think I would be comfortable going that long myself.

Pasting in a table from Audi UK (Link:https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/s...your-audi.html)

Personally I would have them reset it to Fixed, but as it says above you can get more info from your local Audi Centre.
Thanks a lot for sending this dbuxton13. I think I tick all the boxes for the Fixed Service Schedule which means I should get the oil changed at 9k as per the screen shot.

Glad I spoke to you as I still have time (current mileage 4.5k miles) otherwise I would have gone for the oil change at 19k which could be very damaging for the engine (especially with my driving style).
Old 02-28-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Y'all know we are on the 5K service rotation -- meaning we pay for every other service (oil) OOP. We do this to make sure the car is "seen" twice as often -- and oil is, relatively, inexpensive. This seemed to be helpful when we traded in our 2014 SQ5 with over 93K miles on it. We received a bit better trade-in since the service records were with the dealer and made the car a bit more attractive. This may prove to be, over 100K excessive and expensive -- but, so far, it has worked for us and the incremental cost has not been a burden. If you lease your car, well you may consider just going with the AudiCare service intervals and you'll likely be out of the car before you're out of warranty. 9,000 miles, huh -- but we're actually, with AudiCare on a 10,000-mile rotation. I wonder why there is a 1,000 difference?
Old 03-01-2018, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

@NHman: there's a TSB for the rear deck rattle, check with your dealer.

@nicotino15: believe I've heard the center dash speaker issue you're talking about. Only has happened very occasionally on podcasts/news radio. I mostly (90%) listen to music though and no issues there. I also have the same bolster wear, I am 5'11 / 185lbs with a very athletic build and agree entry/exit w/o sitting on the seat bolster is impossible even with the side bolsters fully deflated (via the easy entry/exit feature in MMI).
I'm still trying to come up with the TSB for the rear deck rattle -- can you provide us with some guidance mplsbrian?
Old 03-01-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I'm still trying to come up with the TSB for the rear deck rattle -- can you provide us with some guidance mplsbrian?
I described an issue to my service advisor where buzzing was heard from the rear dash when playing bass-heavy music at about half 1/3 to 1/2 volume (I don't really go higher than that, my ears have no need). As will all US S4s, I have the B&O stereo. The service advisor didn't even to bother to duplicate the issue and simply said "I am pretty sure I remember a TSB for that for the B9 A4, we'll look" and when I picked up the car they said "yup there was a TSB for that and we took care of it" and the rattle is now gone. Good enough for me--I'm sure they just put some foam tape somewhere that the factory should've all along. (My last car had a similar extremely widespread issue of a similar nature and the TSB fix involved applying foam tape to the rear center brake light, which was the source of the rattle in that particular car.)

FWIW, I am all but sure that the rattle was coming from my rear dash, not my rear center headrest. (I believe I saw you'd said at one point that was your issue?) Anyway, that's what I know.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 03-01-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Mileage check thread: How's your S4 holding up?