S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

My S4 needs brakes..

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned BMW 328xdrive so there is no comparison here to S4. My wife drives X3 with sport suspension.
Audi adaptive suspension is so much better than M Sport suspension from BMW. Night and day difference. When it comes to comfort, suspension and steering Audi S4 is a class ahead of BMW, for me. The cabin is way better, road noise is lower and I am having so much fun driving S4 every day. No regrets and very happy owner.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am a huge fan of both audi and bmw and my last three cars were e90 335i, b8.5 s4 and now 2016 340xi. I also had an opportunity to drive b9 a few times and here is what I think how 340 compares to S4

audi shines in: quattro has better grip in wet roads (though xdrive is just fine) , BO sound system, quieter and more refined cabin, nappa leather (feels and looks great though wears horribly compared to bmw's lower grade dakota leather) and sport differential
bmw shines in : superior transmission (compared to b9 though I loved b8.5's buttery smooth DCT shifts), M-adaptive suspension, M sport brakes brake and wear very well compared to squealing noisy audi brakes, better mpg ( 25-26 avg mpg for a 355 hp 340 vs 19 mpg on my b8.5), Head-up display (you need prestige s4 to get this option) and even for an outgoing model, the f30 exterior looks just more menacing and aggressive (this is totally subjective though)

Neutral: Audi's virtual cockpit vs bmw's nav..I think car nav is money down the drain as it just cant compete with google.Also, I did not experience Audi's dynamic steering to compare against my bmw's VSS

Overall, I do think b9 is a let down for a 60k+ sporty car. For those of you in the market, I would recommend model 3 ( just test drive one) or a slightly used m3 or just wait for G80 M340I for more options.

Last edited by gkdmv2015; 12-19-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gkdmv2015
Overall, I do think b9 is a let down for a 60k+ sporty car. For those of you in the market, I would recommend model 3 ( just test drive one) or a slightly used m3 or just wait for G80 M340I for more options.
Slight correction on the BMW model designation, G20 is for the next gen 3-series. The G80 is tied to the next gen M3. So a M340i would be G20.

I will be very interested to read the forthcoming articles comparing the S4 to the M340i. Just a gut feel, I believe it will be the performance vehicle, Styling is subjective but I do like the M-sport design. Though I will wait to see if the AWD system from the M5 is an option for the M3. If so, I am prepared to book my trip to Munich for Euro delivery.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by NHman
Slight correction on the BMW model designation, G20 is for the next gen 3-series. The G80 is tied to the next gen M3. So a M340i would be G20.

I will be very interested to read the forthcoming articles comparing the S4 to the M340i. Just a gut feel, I believe it will be the performance vehicle, Styling is subjective but I do like the M-sport design. Though I will wait to see if the AWD system from the M5 is an option for the M3. If so, I am prepared to book my trip to Munich for Euro delivery.
I've watched a few reviews of the G20 and it seems like the steering feel still isn't great and the interior design is not a clear upgrade compared to the B9 (and the digital cluster is a downgrade). The G20 will obviously be competitive with the class leaders but doesn't seem like it is a home run.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After 20k miles my brakes still 8mm...seems like I may get another 20k miles before I need to change them

Last edited by jondin2000; 12-30-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had the 20k service done at a different Audi dealer shortly after my experience with the dealer whose parent is as I have learned famous for the brake service rip off (oh your C class has 10k miles on it ma’am, that will be $2000 for brakes). The rotors were still within spec according to the new dealer.

I am at 25k miles now after purchasing the car in September 2018. The brakes are fine. No squeaks or issues. I am expecting another set of pads to happen in about 10k miles based on the prior pads wearing at 17k.

I have ave been in touch with Mops about getting some aftermarket Stoptech rotors as I am sure the stock rotors won’t last forever.

Seperately, I love this car. It is sublime.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had to replace my brakes at 17k as well. Friend of mine took care of me so I didn’t pay premium prices but has anyone changed the cabin air filter themselves yet ? I am also approaching 20k service. I called my dealer they said $160 for the oil change and the cabin air filter is a THREE HOUR JOB?! $660 for both is what they said I started laughing. Has anyone relocated and actually replace the cabin air filter ? I know it’s usually basic but I haven’t looked at the engie yet bc its been freezing out.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

$660 for an oil change and new cabin air filter? LOL!
I too would have laughed.

17K only and new brake pads needed is astoundingly ridiculous.
I looked at my pads a couple of weeks ago after I read this thread, and the stock pads are quite thin to begin with, so not surprising.

Seems Audi likes to find ways to bring more income in by really pushing the old "built in obsolescence" idea.
These are not track cars, and as good as the stock brakes are they are no better than what the competition accomplishes
I've never had to replace brake pads on ANY new car I've ever owned with such low mileage.
The lowest front brake pad mileage I've ever had was closer to 40K.

Last edited by TT-S4; 01-16-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea they said cabin air filter is a three hour job, I’m like wtf? Do you have to pull the damn engine out ? I’m going to talk a manager today just to see what is going on with that quoted price bc it’s like a 5 min job for the cabin air filter.

I also have leased several vehicles in the past and never had to change brakes within the lease time frame.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Markster
I owned BMW 328xdrive so there is no comparison here to S4. My wife drives X3 with sport suspension.
Audi adaptive suspension is so much better than M Sport suspension from BMW. Night and day difference. When it comes to comfort, suspension and steering Audi S4 is a class ahead of BMW, for me. The cabin is way better, road noise is lower and I am having so much fun driving S4 every day. No regrets and very happy owner.
A very important thing to note is that BMW fails with their X drive platform in relation to the sport/Msport variants of X/AWD models.
The X drive cars do not get the full sport suspension.
X cars get the adaptive damper option, and sport suspension option, but retain the standard ride height, meaning they don't get the lower ride height along with the sport spring rates.
That greatly affects how that model handles, rides, and responds.
A 328xi compares to an A4 quattro sport, not an S4.
And even then the A4 quattro sport has a better and more complete sport suspension compared to the 328xi.
I too would choose the A4 quattro sport over the, now gone, F30 328xi.

I don't get BWM X drive for the very reason that BMW does not put in the full effort into their sport X drive models as they do in the RWD sport models.
I wanted an AWD car this time and Audi was the clear choice, as I had a 2006 A4 quattro sport and loved that car.
It was very surprising to me that I recall my experience with that older A4 to be better than what I am experiencing with my S4.
Of course that A4 was an MT, so the trans wasn't an issue.

Word is that the new 3 series X drive will finally get a full sport suspension as an option.
We'll all have to wait and see how that worked out.

Last edited by TT-S4; 01-16-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: My S4 needs brakes..