S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

My test drive.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My test drive.

Y'all have seen me over here for a few weeks. I currently have a 2016 A7, and had a 2015 A7 before that. I'm a huge car nut, and have been since the 60s. My previous few cars have been a 2012 BMW550, 2010 Lexus GS350, 2008 Cadillac CTS, 2006 Infiniti M45, 2004 Acura TL...you get the idea. I've also had many Corvettes as weekend cars, my last a 2009 Z06.

So for a few reasons, I'm getting a serious bug for a new car which will be my last car that needs to be somewhat practicle before I retire in 2-3 years. I mostly use it for commuting to work in Houston. On weekends I'm basically on my motorcycles or drive my wife's car. Some of my work driving is to our other locations within 250 miles or so.

Here are random thoughts on the car. I should point out that it was well equipped but not totally loaded. One oddity is that it had the sport package with the adjustable suspension, but it had the 18" wheels. First one I've seen online equipped like that. It listed for $60k, so y'all can just about figure out what it had on it.

My first impression is that it felt cheaper than my A7. I think the tightness of the seats and harder seat, and the engine sound where the main culprits. I discovered with the salesmanss help that the engine sound is adjustable and it was in the dynamic mode. Had I not known I would have thought it was a four cylinder. Even in the quieter mode it did not sound all that good, but at cruising speed it was quiet. I could have dealt with it, but the first impression was not good.

Power felt a little softer than my A7 on initial tip in at low speeds or from a stop, but was not bad, and changing modes made a difference. And again, I was okay with it. Once the Rpms started building it pulled significantly harder up to redline than my A7. And keep in mind that the 2016 and up A7 with 333 HP is no slouch at all. I was surprised when I got it how much faster it was than my 2015.

The ride was noticeably better than my A7, which has the 20" wheels. Even in sport mode it felt better. Handling felt good, although I was not where I could really do much spirited driving in any curves. The other thing that was much better than my A7 was the sound system. Of course, the A7 with Bose, which is how most of them are equipped is pretty mediocre. The B&O sounded good to me.

As I have mentioned here, I dislike the iPad type screen and the fact that to get ventilated seats you give up sport seats...and you better like black interiors, which I really do not. If I buy an S4 I would probably not get ventilated seats and would get NAPA leather.

I think the car is a nice car, and I could probably enjoy it, but it just hasn't knocked me out. The price is cheaper than what I've been spending and that is appealing though.

The other car I'm seriously thinking about and will try to drive soon is the new BMW 540. Having had the 2012 550 I more or less know what to expect. The car would be about $10,000 more than the S4, but I can live with that if I really like it. I just think that for my Houston commute it would be a better choice. But like everything, there are some tradeoffs.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
The other car I'm seriously thinking about and will try to drive soon is the new BMW 540. Having had the 2012 550 I more or less know what to expect. The car would be about $10,000 more than the S4, but I can live with that if I really like it. I just think that for my Houston commute it would be a better choice. But like everything, there are some tradeoffs.
Have you considered an S6 at all?
Old 04-28-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Have you considered an S6 at all?
Oh dear God, don't even go there. Yes, I've lusted after one but have resisted for pricing reasons and concerns with the DCT in stop and go traffic. I have gotten to know the General Sales Manager at the dealer and I told him yesterday I have not gotten past that idea.

At this point my real concern is simply that the 6 & 7s are getting a bit long in the tooth...and I have realized how much I miss a good sound system. And $5,000 for the B&O in those cars is a deal killer.

At the price point of an S6 I'd probably go for the new M550i BMW.

Last edited by jjsC6; 04-29-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear ya. I am currently considering either a few years old CPO S6 or the new S4, but I have yet to drive either one.

I do like the idea of a V8 and the somewhat more classy looks (subjective) of the S6, but on the other hand, the S4 gives you a newer platform and I'm really digging the virtual cockpit.

For me, coming from a 2002 530i, either one would be a huge upgrade.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No ventilated sport seats? The Audi USA build tool lets you do just that...or is it that the style is different if you go ventilated?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bluetail
No ventilated sport seats? The Audi USA build tool lets you do just that...or is it that the style is different if you go ventilated?
You lose the sport seats and can only get them in black. I'm not totally sure what the difference in the seat is because the site is not clear, but I know you don't get the diamond stitching and I assume the bolsters are not as pronounced. I've never seen a picture of them, and I have yet to see one listed in stock in the Houston area with ventilated seats.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:21 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen a picture of them.
If you go to the build configurator online, select warm weather package and it'll show the seats when you scroll through interior photos.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

You lose the sport seats and can only get them in black. I'm not totally sure what the difference in the seat is because the site is not clear, but I know you don't get the diamond stitching and I assume the bolsters are not as pronounced. I've never seen a picture of them, and I have yet to see one listed in stock in the Houston area with ventilated seats.
Pics are online. I grabbed them from audi.de. You lose the S sport seats. There are two kinds of seats, both are sport seats. Sport seats and S sport seats. Ventilation is only available with the standard sport seats and you lose the S logo on the seat. Pics in order of S Sport Seats, Sport Seats and Ventilated Sport Seats.
Attached Thumbnails My test drive.-s-sport-seats.jpg   My test drive.-sport-seats.jpg   My test drive.-sport-seats-ventilated.jpg  
Old 04-28-2017, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for posting the pics 👍
Old 04-28-2017, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The S Sport seats have the massage function and extra adjustment settings, something lost when going to the regular sport seats (ventilated).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My test drive.