S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Nail in tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nail in tire

Noticed this while washing my car the other day. Ugh. I remember someone on here mentioning these continentals w/ 19" wheels tend to be more prone to picking up nails. Took it to discount tire and they diagnosed it and said it isn't leaking any air, and they think it isn't punctured, but if it is then it is in a spot that isn't repairable. They offered to try and remove it, but I told them no. My questions is there any harm in just leaving it? Or should I try pulling it out?
Attached Thumbnails Nail in tire-img_2008.jpg   Nail in tire-img_2009.jpg  
Old 09-06-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

You don't really wanna leave that in there. If it's not fully punctured yet, it will eventually as the nail gets worked in from driving. Moreover, moisture will start to rust the nail and the rust and moisture will work its way in and start compromising the belts. How much tread to you have left? If > 6-7/32" than you can just put on a new tire. Once it goes below 6-7/32" a new tire would take you beyond Audi's tolerance and you'll have to shave the tire down or get 4 new tires.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
You don't really wanna leave that in there. If it's not fully punctured yet, it will eventually as the nail gets worked in from driving. Moreover, moisture will start to rust the nail and the rust and moisture will work its way in and start compromising the belts. How much tread to you have left? If > 6-7/32" than you can just put on a new tire. Once it goes below 6-7/32" a new tire would take you beyond Audi's tolerance and you'll have to shave the tire down or get 4 new tires.
The car only has 1,600 miles so I assume tread is fine. Can I just pull it out, and if there is no leak/puncture I'm fine?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DillonM
Noticed this while washing my car the other day. Ugh. I remember someone on here mentioning these continentals w/ 19" wheels tend to be more prone to picking up nails. Took it to discount tire and they diagnosed it and said it isn't leaking any air, and they think it isn't punctured, but if it is then it is in a spot that isn't repairable. They offered to try and remove it, but I told them no. My questions is there any harm in just leaving it? Or should I try pulling it out?
No such thing as a tire being prone to nail punctures. There is no scientific proof that will support it. It is just sheer bad luck.

I think you should bring it to another tire shop for a second opinion. If it is really not repairable, do yourself a favor and replace it. Don't procrastinate. Change that tire for safety sake. Even if it not leaking now, it will start leaking eventually and leave you stranded somewhere. If you remove it, it will leak. 100% sure about it. You can afford a B9 S4. Surely you can afford a new tire.

Last edited by plat27265; 09-06-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
No such thing as a tire being prone to nail punctures. There is no scientific proof that will support it. It is just sheer bad luck.

I think you should bring it to another tire shop for a second opinion. If it is really not repairable, do yourself a favor and replace it. Don't procrastinate. Change that tire for safety sake. Even if it not leaking now, it will start leaking eventually and leave you stranded somewhere. If you remove it, it will leak. 100% sure about it. You can afford a B9 S4. Surely you can afford a new tire.
Well that's not 100% accurate on the low profiles/punctures. Low profiles have a shallower tread depth which makes it easier/more vulnerable for a nail to make it through/puncture where a tire with a deeper depth might cast off the nail if it can't make it through.

But low profiles bar none are more suspectable to dents/blowouts.
Low-profile tires have a much shorter sidewall and there is less cushion to absorb impact from potholes or curbs. This can lead to structural damage to the sidewall of your low-profile tire. It may exhibit as a bulge or bubble in the sidewall or the tire can actually suffer immediate and total air loss or puncture when driving.
RE: Your tire...that looks repairable (if it was on the side of the tire you'd be out of luck)
Old 09-07-2017, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

I always use that puncture repair stuff. Even on tires that were supposedly not repairable.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a puncture in my tire as well. A nail was in between the treads, I had the tire replaced only because the Audi dealer offered a replacement warranty for the life of the tire. Audi dealers do not repair tires, only replace them because it's a liability, at least that's what I was told. It did cost me $300 and the punctured tire only had 1400 miles on it, however, if I ever do have any issues, I can get the tire replaced as part of the warranty.

Thinking back now, I should have purchased the Wheel and Tire coverage when I got the S4.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I would not leave it in there. If it has not gone through the tire yet, it will if you leave it in there and you will eventually have a leak that will require immediate attention. If you pull out the nail and it is not leaking, you dodged the bullet so to speak. However, if you pull it out and air starts rushing out, I would replace the tire rather than try to repair it. That is really too close to the sidewall to really guarantee a solid repair for the life of the tire.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had a nail similar in my tire. I had road hazard from the Audi dealership. Finding an OEM replacement tire took a few days but they put me in a loaner and got a new 19".

Not sure if you push your car / track but if you do replace. If normal daily driving, consider patching.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTSX
I recently had a nail similar in my tire. I had road hazard from the Audi dealership. Finding an OEM replacement tire took a few days but they put me in a loaner and got a new 19".

Not sure if you push your car / track but if you do replace. If normal daily driving, consider patching.
It is a daily driver, and I don't track the car but I do enjoy hitting some hard corners and pushing this thing to its limits when I can. I stopped at a different discount tire and he pulled the nail out about an 1/8 of an inch, to confirm that it is indeed leaking. He said he didn't even have that tire in his system so he would have to contact continental directly to see when he could get the tire. I called my Audi dealer and they said they can have me one by Monday. I am probably paying a little more going through them, but I need this fixed sooner than later so that is the route I will take. $333 for one tire! Ouch

Quick Reply: Nail in tire