S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

NAV "Required" Option?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts
Default NAV "Required" Option?

I have a 2018 S4 Premium Plus on order that is about to be shipped from Germany. I specified certain options but no navigation. When the car completed production, Audi added a "required" option to the list and that's navigation. No explanation was given to the dealer and I am perplexed as to why Audi has done this. Anyone else experienced something similar?
Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

yes, because yours got moved, by Audi, to a Summer of Audi car. They ended up building all such cars with Nav in the mix. it can always happen, from big stuff to small, as Audi (like other brands), leaves order guides subject to change and revision at any time, even mid month.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
yes, because yours got moved, by Audi, to a Summer of Audi car. They ended up building all such cars with Nav in the mix. it can always happen, from big stuff to small, as Audi (like other brands), leaves order guides subject to change and revision at any time, even mid month.
Thanks for that info but it really sounds like a stupid move from Audi. I can understand that specs and options are subject to change but a manufacturer should not force a customer to take a certain stand alone option if they don't want it.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

From a philosophical standpoint, IWC, I agree with you. The way Audi packages and bundles certain options is frustrating for sure and when ordering a car they can indeed be a moving target. Many users on this forum were frustrated about a mid-production-cycle change that affected the visual look of the rear brake calipers by deleting the dust cover with the S on it, and went to almost silly lengths with their dealers to get that addressed. Some were successful in getting calipers swapped under warranty, many were not. There are other more minor examples; USB ports were at one point relocated, tail lights were very subtly darkened, and the rear fog lamp button was deleted, all within the MY2018 S4 production cycle.

From a literal standpoint, you always have the option of backing out of the deal. You could instruct your dealer that this is a deal-breaker for you and I'd bet they'd be willing to locate for you an already-built car without Nav somewhere within the US.

Keep in mind that it is possible (I have no idea) that Audi may not even offer an S4 that doesn't include nav next model year. Won't know 'til the order guide comes out.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

You do not have to take it. You can pass on this build, and in a month or so when normal non SOA A4 and S4 production resumes, you can resubmit an order.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks to all. I think I will pass on this one, then. Not only I don't need the NAV but I also dislike the virtual cockpit.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

My dealer rep -- someone I've known for a dozen plus years, and one of the reps who is sent to Germany by AoA for training and product education, told me that from "this" date forward Audi has decided ALL Audis will come equipped with Navigation. In some cases (not many) the car may show a credit for the Nav feature. But, if you want an Audi as of some date (that may already have come), it will come with nav. I predict -- not that I have any inside information -- that the same thing will happen with DAP. That is, at "this" date (and afterward) all Audis will be equipped with the driver assistance package.

Another example, I tested an S5 SB and thought it was a possibility -- until I found out that if the thing comes with a sunroof, you don't get the overhead passenger and driver grab handles. I rarely open my sunroof anyway, so I asked about the possibility of ordering one with "sunroof delete" -- bzz NO! but thanks for asking.

The navigation and DAP make sense to me -- I rented a Nissan Altima recently and it had a close approximation of Audis DAP and of course, it had nav. Audi, I think, wants to be positioned, without any doubt, as a Premium vehicle. It just wouldn't do to have these cars, at these prices, be less well equipped than cars that are "near" Premium. I wouldn't buy one without as much tech as the manufacturer can stuff into it. My first Audi with nav, for instance, was, as I recall, a 2000 A6 4.2 V8. I traded that one in on a 2001 A6 4.2 V8 which was the first year I could get ESP (now called ESC) as a $500 option.

Although I can understand that there are customers who don't want or will never use the nav -- just to name one -- feature, it really makes no sense to not market any cars without the maximum amount of tech, especially considering all of the cars (including many that cost 50% less or even 70% less) that seem to keep upping the tech quotient.

Those wanting the analog dash should get one while the gettin's good, for the Virtual Cockpit, too, IMO, will very soon be "standard".

At the prices, even for a stripped (P+) S4, why wouldn't you want nav, DAP, and even Level 3 automation. I'd lobby for the laser headlights, dual pane glass all round and an increase in the content of BOTH performance and luxury.

Take a look at the upcoming VW Arteon -- and then look at what's coming in the Arteon (high-performance V6 choices); juxtapose such content with a price that is much less than those in the Premium class and understand THIS IS WAR! The Premium range from Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo -- to say nothing of the near-Premiums -- is under siege. Adding content is one of the competitive weapons Audi (among others) feel must be done.

Sure looks that way.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 06-08-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That’s unfortunate as I assume the base price will increase commensurate with the nav addition.
in car nav is a vestigial feature of a bygone era. 99.9% of people have a cell phone with google maps or waze or Apple maps.... there is zero need for baked in nav anymore.
its effectively a money grab and an attempt to make luxury cars “seem” more luxurious because your basic Camry level car keeps getting more and more features.

this is not a new thing, it’s a constant cycle. A luxury car of 5-10 years ago has 50% of the luxury features a new average family sedan has now.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

In principle, I agree re phones having the nav feature. I think my Apple's nav, compared to my built-in system, however, is a non starter, at this juncture.

I do like Waze for pot hole and cop alerts, but the issue, for me is the seamless integration and the great looking graphics. The cost? Well, sure it will be baked in -- but it is, from a cost perspective, a nit. From a price perspective, well that's a horse of a different color. It seems we live in an era of content creep -- if you want an Audi or whatever, you will be getting the tech that is, presumably, expected by the customers willing to go for the Audi A4 vs the VW Arteon.

Now that backup cameras are standard -- well virtually -- all around view monitors are the next thing to be creeping in until ALL cars have it. Audi is upping the content (and price) there too with their new all around view with swivel capabilities. Hell, why not holographic projection for pity's sake -- why? Because they can, because the customers are not just buying a transportation device, they're buying a luxury item. Gotta have an iPhone X, gotta have this, gotta have that.

If you don't want to play in THAT arena -- and there would be no reason you need to stay in the Premium arena that is anything more than "luxury" vs "less than luxury" -- well, Honda makes a compelling argument vs buying an Acura, Nissan, ditto vs the Infiniti, Toyota vs Lexus and so on.

I prefer the factory system by a factor of 2, 3 or 4 over the "kluged" look or the stuck on look. I don't even like the ipad looking device sticking up on the dashboard, my 2009 A4 had a better dash as did my 2014 S4. So says I.

Apparently I'm wrong about this as the rest of us are wrong about the vestigial feature you speak of.

Price or cost of progress, perhaps?

Last edited by markcincinnati; 06-08-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sforfun
That’s unfortunate as I assume the base price will increase commensurate with the nav addition.
in car nav is a vestigial feature of a bygone era. 99.9% of people have a cell phone with google maps or waze or Apple maps.... there is zero need for baked in nav anymore.
its effectively a money grab and an attempt to make luxury cars “seem” more luxurious because your basic Camry level car keeps getting more and more features.
Exactly! I've had several cars with built-in NAV's and they are mostly worthless and difficult to use. My point here is the fact that NAV is an option on the P+ for a buyer to choose and Audi is making it mandatory for whatever reason (justifiable or not). My car entered production without it and exited with NAV and the sticker (for now) is reflecting the extra $2600.

Quick Reply: NAV "Required" Option?