S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Navigation...confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation...confused

I am coming from Japanese brand to German. Earlier I had 2016 Maxima SR, hated rattle and built quality. But navigation was simple, easy and workable.
Moved over to Audi. Now I am finding it hard to adjust with navigation direction. Either its very slow to inform the driver or sometimes it does not even bother. On several occasion, I have to glue my eyes to make sure I do not miss the exit or merge.

Am I missing something?

S4 Prestige, Sports Option, Back Optics, Dynamic handling.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Not sure. You gonna have to be more specific to determine if your system may have an issue, but I can't say that I'm missing exits and turns constantly or have to glue my eyes to the system. I only miss turns or exits if I'm not paying attention at all. It announces upcoming maneuvers with the distance to go. Make sure you turn on route details in the settings to full. That will show the next three upcoming events on the nav screen. In addition on the Virtual Cockpit or the Drive Information Display next to the turn instructions there is a bar that counts down to the turn. It's quite obvious. I think it starts counting down about 1 mile out for an exit for example. What the system doesn't do is give you a voice prompt right when you need to turn. There are only visual indications, but it announces exit numbers and street names, so unless you are not paying attention I'm unsure how you could miss the exits or turns. There are so many advanced visual notifications to prepare for the next maneuver plus voice instructions, that I'm having a hard time understanding how you could miss the exists and turns. With the route details turned on for example, you'll know three maneuvers ahead what's coming up, including street name to turn or exit number. If you miss your exit or turn you are day dreaming or something.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Never mind that it is a German system. Some folks are confused with the order of the list. The item at the bottom is next or closest to your current position so you have to read the list bottom up.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's an example of the bar graph countdown I was talking about. Took me a moment to find an image. Notice that bar graph on the very right. It counts down to the turn. Not to mention the visual representation of the upcoming turn. This one is a simple one, but it shows lane guidance for more complicated turns and which exit to take if you have multiple exits follow each other, so you know if you are supposed to take the first or second exit etc. I personally find the amount of information the MMI navigation shows far superior to other systems I've used.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-22-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@superswiss; that the part I miss, voice prompt right away when you need to make a turn. Is there any option, I can to make it as early as possible.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by manuS4
@superswiss; that the part I miss, voice prompt right away when you need to make a turn. Is there any option, I can to make it as early as possible.
No, there is not. I would say the Audi navigation is not overly verbal, which personally I prefer. I often turn off voice guidance completely. It emphasizes visual cues. A picture is worth a thousand words. The way I learned to drive is to think ahead, prepare and always be aware of one's surroundings, so by the time the turn is here, I don't need to be reminded as I'm already in the correct lane and I know that I need to turn. That's perhaps because I'm European and received proper driving training, so a navigation designed by Europeans works for me well. There are enough drivers out there that seem to drive by their navigation system telling them to turn now and turn from the middle lane and crap like that. We don't need more of those

Last edited by superswiss; 04-22-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There are different levels of voice navigation, and perhaps you're stuck on a less verbose settings. Here's a bit from the S5 manual that describes it:
Old 04-22-2018, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh I forgot about that. You are correct. There's also a global setting that shortens the voice command dialogs, but I don't think that affects navigation instructions.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by manuS4
The "Audi lady" notifies (in advance) of an upcoming turn. Then, close to the MOMENT of the turn (coinciding with the reverse hourglass in the picture above) she again tells you to turn now (in X feet). I believe there is a setting to make her talk more, less or not at all. If you have a Prestige version, the turn "arrow" and the reverse hourglass are displayed in the HUD. When I'm listening to an audiobook or music, I sometimes turn the Audi lady off she talks so much, I miss part of what I'm listening to.

I think we (as in those of us here on AudiWorld) are certainly willing and usually able to help others get to know their car's features, but this one seems like it would be worth a "second" delivery (which most dealers usually offer 2-4 weeks after the first delivery) which you could ask be focussed on the Nav System features, functions, tips, and tricks.

I'm spoiled since every Audi we've had since 2000 has had the OEM nav system and the "new" MMI system came on-line in 2004 in the 2005 A6 and has morphed into the current system with easier to use voice and better voice prompts. During this time, my wife and I did have one Infiniti (2011) and one Acura (2012), and we both prefer the Audi system, although we did like the touch screen feature of the Infiniti.

Overall, though, once the current generation MMI is set up "to your tastes," I would think you would find it highly intuitive, although, I -- for one -- preferred the rotary wheel when it worked exactly opposite of the current one. I am forever cranking the wheel clockwise or counter-clockwise and having to reverse my action since the cursor or selection highlight is (currently in 2018) backward to my 2014 S4's **** effect when rotated.

To repeat: go for the "second delivery" with the dealer in-house expert, you will probably be rewarded with the solution to many or most of the issues you may be experiencing.

I have mine set to the "short" verbal prompts and I have the feature turned on that offers alternate routes when there are known traffic issues between where you are and where you have set your nav destination.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 04-23-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I turned my nav setting to Complete this morning (from Shortened) to see the difference. Unfortunately, my route in almost entirely Interstate, so there seemed to be little difference. If you're used to a chatty nav system, Complete would probably be just the ticket. Otherwise, stick with Shortened, especially if you have the nav info in your HUD.

When "Alexa" is fully integrated with these systems (along with WAZE), that will be a great day (especially if the Alexa software is updated weekly).
Old 04-23-2018, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I turned my nav setting to Complete this morning (from Shortened) to see the difference. Unfortunately, my route in almost entirely Interstate, so there seemed to be little difference. If you're used to a chatty nav system, Complete would probably be just the ticket. Otherwise, stick with Shortened, especially if you have the nav info in your HUD.

When "Alexa" is fully integrated with these systems (along with WAZE), that will be a great day (especially if the Alexa software is updated weekly).

Quick Reply: Navigation...confused