S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Motor Trend Test — Finally

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend Test — Finally

Old 02-05-2018, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Good writeup. The criticism about the auto start stop killing the car 1-2mph before a dead stop is legitimate--and this review is perhaps this is the first place I've seen that so directly and succinctly acknowledged. I had sort of forgotten about that because it's been winter and that feature doesn't even kick in when it's as consistently cold as it's been, but now that I read it, I too hope Audi issues a fix for it promptly--hopefully via a free-at-the-dealer ECU software flash.

A5 sportback has more curb appeal? Agree to disagree -- both are pretty vehicles but I picked the S4 for the rear headroom and for visual reasons. I prefer the sedan's lines--the S5 sportback was an option.

I do wish the AWD systems were better reviewed or at least a more central part of the review in these types of articles. I picked the S4 because I trust Audi's quattro to deliver me safely and with confidence while barreling down an icy mountain pass in driving snow--an experience I tested firsthand after a long day of skiing in the Tetons. What a capable system. Can the Merc C43 do that? Genuine question...I would love to know.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you notice their tester had the much debated rear brake caliper covers?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very positive review, I like that. However I’m starting to realize that the way they test cars and what they report about is largely not how people will use their car. Understeer, tail out oversteer, 9/10’s driving all sounds great on paper but doesn’t represent how the masses use their cars. There are exceptions of course. I bought my previous car based on how much fun it was to drive according to magazines and I ended up not loving it. (2016 Camaro SS) hopefully the S4 will be exactly what I want. A fast, smooth, and luxurious car that looks great.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I like that the start stop happens before a complete stop. It makes for a smoother experience.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Start/Stop is fine... really, 1-2 mph is a complaint? I usually drive in S anyway, but when I'm in traffic and trying to sip gas the Start/Stop works like a charm. I really don't understand how this is an "issue" requiring an "immediate update."

Noticed the rear brakes were properly set up as well. Annoying, because they look so much better and I'm stuck with the garbage-looking ones.

I can feel the sport differential working on every corner, it works at all speeds. No chance I would ever give this up, or the sports suspension, or even the dynamic steering. They all work together for an incredible driving experience.

Lastly, recommending the A5 in a test drive review is unprofessional journalism, as it is introducing personal opinion and bias. Not necessary. He likes the look of the sportback better? Good for him. That's why it's an option. Though you pay a $4000 premium for different looking sheetmetal. Not worth it to me, even if I did like the look. Also, preferring a car with 4 pots over 6? Really don't know what to say about that, pure weirdness. Glad the rest of the review was mostly positive, and they did the reader the service of listing all the options on the test car. A bare-bones P+ S4 without the sports pack and dynamic steering is a completely different driving experience from a loaded Prestige.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sforfun
A very positive review, I like that. However I’m starting to realize that the way they test cars and what they report about is largely not how people will use their car. Understeer, tail out oversteer, 9/10’s driving all sounds great on paper but doesn’t represent how the masses use their cars. There are exceptions of course. I bought my previous car based on how much fun it was to drive according to magazines and I ended up not loving it. (2016 Camaro SS) hopefully the S4 will be exactly what I want. A fast, smooth, and luxurious car that looks great.

Your comparison is boarderline Blasphemy.

Putting this in a kind way....you will NOT be disappointed.

I've driven Camaros, in many various forms - and I can unequivocally state that I hated EVERY single one of them, except for the ZL1 -- but I'd NEVER EVER own one.

And in a strange twist of critical irony....there's MY own bias being placed before the public domain!

.....to each his own....but comparing an s4 and a Camaro is simply not even in the same solar system.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
The Start/Stop is fine... really, 1-2 mph is a complaint? I usually drive in S anyway, but when I'm in traffic and trying to sip gas the Start/Stop works like a charm. I really don't understand how this is an "issue" requiring an "immediate update."
It's profoundly annoying when a momentary half-second engine kill/restart is triggered every 10-15 seconds in slow-(to-an-almost-stop-for-just-half-a-second)-and-go traffic situations, or when rolling up to the rear end of traffic when the light just turned green and people are already starting to go.

I actually wish the thing would work with ACC cameras/radar to better perceive the surrounding traffic conditions, or at minimum not kill the engine until you'd been completely stopped for at least a full "one-one-thousand" out loud count. Why should my engine shudder at every stop sign (when nobody is waiting)? How much fuel could that possibly save vs. wear on my starter motor/etc? Why should I have to ever-so-carefully modulate the brake pressure/proactively hit the button/flip to S mode/otherwise defeat the system to prevent an unwanted one-microsecond stop? It's a tuning issue and as much of an annoyance as a transmission that upshifts prematurely or with too much hesitancy.

Just my opinion. Overall the system is great but when I find myself modifying my natural, normal driving style to trick the system, that's a problem. I shouldn't have to keep a light brake foot to stop my car like a dainty fairy so it doesn't kill at a stop sign. I should be able to drive it like a sports car and stop it like a sports car.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
It's profoundly annoying when a momentary half-second engine kill/restart is triggered every 10-15 seconds in slow-(to-an-almost-stop-for-just-half-a-second)-and-go traffic situations, or when rolling up to the rear end of traffic when the light just turned green and people are already starting to go.

I actually wish the thing would work with ACC cameras/radar to better perceive the surrounding traffic conditions, or at minimum not kill the engine until you'd been completely stopped for at least a full "one-one-thousand" out loud count. Why should my engine shudder at every stop sign (when nobody is waiting)? How much fuel could that possibly save vs. wear on my starter motor/etc? Why should I have to ever-so-carefully modulate the brake pressure/proactively hit the button/flip to S mode/otherwise defeat the system to prevent an unwanted one-microsecond stop? It's a tuning issue and as much of an annoyance as a transmission that upshifts prematurely or with too much hesitancy.

Just my opinion. Overall the system is great but when I find myself modifying my natural, normal driving style to trick the system, that's a problem. I shouldn't have to keep a light brake foot to stop my car like a dainty fairy so it doesn't kill at a stop sign. I should be able to drive it like a sports car and stop it like a sports car.
This is a major annoyance for me as well. Being stuck in DC traffic where it's pointless to be in S mode, and auto off-on kicks in as I slow down only to speed back up to 10 mph and then back down. I end up turning off the feature majority of the times.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian

Just drive in "S" -- if it really is that big of a deal. Or, as some have mentioned, turn it off when you start the car. I have tried to drive my two S4's and two SQ5's in "D" -- it makes the car feel like it's in limp-home mode.

Which is odd -- since when I am loaned an A4 (with the DSG), I have no problem keeping it in D.

I had read that the start stop was supposed to operate at "near" zero MPH to provide a smoother experience. It seems folks aren't having it.

Try "S" for 9 days -- exclusively. Perhaps you'll never go back.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Test — Finally