S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

New S4 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New S4 Owner

Hi All - I just picked up my 2018 Glacier White/Magma Red prem plus S4 today. Was a long time coming as I was ready to upgrade from my 10 year old B7 S4. The new S4 is superior in everyway, but I definitely got a little emotional saying bye to my old car, nothing like a 7k RPM V8 and a 6 speed, even if it was slower

I can't wait to learn all the new features and technology, I feel like I'm sitting in a airplane cockpit driving this thing!
Packages:
Navigation
S-sport
Silk nappa leather (magma red)
audi beam rings
carbon fiber trim

I really wanted black optics and was tempted to order it, but the dealer was very willing to negotiate this car from the lot, enough so that I was ok foregoing the black optics, especially since they were willing to do a wheel swap for me (Wheels are from a prem plus A4 with black optics on the lot. My wife has these same wheels on her Q5 and I just love them from both a look and maintenance perspective).

Looking forward to learning more about this car and participating in the community.

Btw: would love to get others opinions on the break-in? Before I was considering buying off the lot, I test drove the car, and we went for 15-20 minutes, but the rep wanted me to see the launch capabilities, so I've been a little rough on it... I'm the kind of guy that will not go over 3-4k RPM until oil is fully up to temp, so I'll continue that, but is everybody staying under 4k for the first 1k miles?

Pic of old car

Me with new car
Attached Thumbnails New S4 Owner-oldcar.jpg   New S4 Owner-new-car.jpg  
Old 10-06-2017, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new digs! Looks like it already has tint on it? Not sure how you could stand your previous car with bare windows

Absolutely following the break-in period, and I think most of us are. 1 launch might be okay, but I would have told the dealer rep to stuff it and read the manual when he suggested showing off a launch. It's also why I personally will only custom order when it comes to expensive performance cars.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 10-06-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow you’re b7 looks pristine! Did you ever have any major mechanical issues with it?

congrats on your new s4!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats to you!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all!

Originally Posted by BobTX10
Wow you’re b7 looks pristine! Did you ever have any major mechanical issues with it?

congrats on your new s4!
It was pristine, it was in Texas and California it's whole life, no rust. I laugh when people complain about the famous "pinch" bolt, mine came right off everytime I worked on the suspension. I'm also a detailing enthusiast, so I periodically de-contaminated, clayed, corrected, polished and sealed it every year. Another reason for getting white is I couldn't stand the maintenance on a non-metallic black car, every swirl and imperfection stood out, but the glacier white does a decent job of hiding that.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OP, congrats and your purchase and welcome to the B9 S4 owners club. I like your selection of rims. It works well with this style and color combo.

As far as break-in, I just passed 1k miles. Up until that time I did not exceed 4k RPM. Of course keeping it lower until the oil was at operating temperature. Just today did I hit redline (it felt good to do so). At operating temperature, should you, on occasion, go past 4k RPM, I don't believe it will have a negative impact on reliability and/or longevity. I believe the factory tests each engine at various RPMs before it is mated to the vehicle.

Enjoy your S4.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nicotino15
Hi All - I just picked up my 2018 Glacier White/Magma Red prem plus S4 today. Was a long time coming as I was ready to upgrade from my 10 year old B7 S4. The new S4 is superior in everyway, but I definitely got a little emotional saying bye to my old car, nothing like a 7k RPM V8 and a 6 speed, even if it was slower

I can't wait to learn all the new features and technology, I feel like I'm sitting in a airplane cockpit driving this thing!
Packages:
Navigation
S-sport
Silk nappa leather (magma red)
audi beam rings
carbon fiber trim

I really wanted black optics and was tempted to order it, but the dealer was very willing to negotiate this car from the lot, enough so that I was ok foregoing the black optics, especially since they were willing to do a wheel swap for me (Wheels are from a prem plus A4 with black optics on the lot. My wife has these same wheels on her Q5 and I just love them from both a look and maintenance perspective).

Looking forward to learning more about this car and participating in the community.

Btw: would love to get others opinions on the break-in? Before I was considering buying off the lot, I test drove the car, and we went for 15-20 minutes, but the rep wanted me to see the launch capabilities, so I've been a little rough on it... I'm the kind of guy that will not go over 3-4k RPM until oil is fully up to temp, so I'll continue that, but is everybody staying under 4k for the first 1k miles?

Pic of old car

Me with new car
Looks great! Congrats. I've had mine almost 2 months--sad to say I've put 4000 miles on it LOL. Time to slow down as winter comes....