S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

New S4 Owner, tinting? Break in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S4 Owner, tinting? Break in?

Hey guys!

I'm new here and liked how active the forum was so decided to make an account so I can get the most out of my new baby and take the best care of it.

A few days ago I picked up my Prestige S4 in Navarra Blue with Black Nappa interior, Driver Assistance Package, Sports Package, and 19" wheels. Its absolutely beautiful, and I can't wait to spend more time with it. (will share pictures in the future)

The first order of business for me is window tinting. My state has pretty strict laws for the front but I'm going to ignore them and go ahead with something like a 30 on all windows. Is there anything particular I should know about getting tinting for an Audi? I'm definitely going to try and do my homework and take it to a reputable place, but I know almost nothing about tints. I don't mind spending top dollar as long as it does the job and lasts for the life of the car. Should I avoid tinting the windshield? Do most people leave the windshield alone?

The manual lists a break in period of 1k miles before really opening the taps. Do you guys recommend this? Any other tips for the first thousand or so miles?

The dealership convinced me to get Audi Care and the extended maintenance plan (which to my understanding covers pretty much everything in the car if it breaks with a deductible). I was also convinced to buy dent protection and tire/wheel protection plans. However, I am still feeling iffy about the latter two because these are outsourced to a third party and I feel like the dealership made their money back by selling me all this stuff. I managed to get 8-9% off, which I think is fantastic as most people here seemed like they were getting 6-7 (the car's adjusted price was about 59k). Were these things that I bought worth it? If not, I'll probably try and get it refunded.

Also a specific question about the Virtual Cockpit that I could not figure out from the manual. When using the sport view with the tach in the middle and the dynamic screen on the left, how on earth can I change whats shown on the right side of the VC? Any time I try to move to the right the left side is what flips between options.

Feel free to share any other tips or tricks I should know about my car.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went with 20% ceramic all the way around, and 50% on the windshield. I live in Arizona and am actually really happy that I decided to tint the windshield. It makes a huge difference when you are driving directly into the sun.

You will I’ll find many mixed reviews regarding the break in, but I think the consensus on here is to follow what the manual says. I kept it under 4K RPM’s for the first 1,000 miles, avoided WOT, but I didn’t baby it either.

When the the dealer gave me the sales pitch on all of the packages that they offer, I went ahead and stopped him before he started and said I am only interested in the Audi Care. The wheel protection is a rip off to me, especially being someone that always parks out in the middle of nowhere away from any curbs, but obviously accidents happen and even the most careful driver can accidentally curb a wheel when they least expect it, so that’s up to you as the owner.

Congrats on the car, you’re gonna love it.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Since you got a Prestige, tinting the windshield may affect visibility of your HUD. The windscreen of HUD-equipped cars has a special coating to improve reflective of that area for the display. Something to consider. I'm sure the tint shop will cut you a little piece to hold up and see how it looks for yourself before committing. I personally wouldn't do it but you gotta do you.

For your VC question, left drawer button on your steering wheel should open a menu option called "additional display." The options under that sub-menu allow you to choose what is displayed on the right side of the tach.

Tips for the first thousand miles, do what the manual says for break-in and beyond that just avoid short trips when possible (short trips do not allow the engine to get fully up to temperature, which is important for optimal engine health in general but especially important on a young engine).
Old 10-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DillonM
I went with 20% ceramic all the way around, and 50% on the windshield. I live in Arizona and am actually really happy that I decided to tint the windshield. It makes a huge difference when you are driving directly into the sun.

You will I’ll find many mixed reviews regarding the break in, but I think the consensus on here is to follow what the manual says. I kept it under 4K RPM’s for the first 1,000 miles, avoided WOT, but I didn’t baby it either.

When the the dealer gave me the sales pitch on all of the packages that they offer, I went ahead and stopped him before he started and said I am only interested in the Audi Care. The wheel protection is a rip off to me, especially being someone that always parks out in the middle of nowhere away from any curbs, but obviously accidents happen and even the most careful driver can accidentally curb a wheel when they least expect it, so that’s up to you as the owner.

Congrats on the car, you’re gonna love it.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Since you got a Prestige, tinting the windshield may affect visibility of your HUD. The windscreen of HUD-equipped cars has a special coating to improve reflective of that area for the display. Something to consider. I'm sure the tint shop will cut you a little piece to hold up and see how it looks for yourself before committing. I personally wouldn't do it but you gotta do you.

For your VC question, left drawer button on your steering wheel should open a menu option called "additional display." The options under that sub-menu allow you to choose what is displayed on the right side of the tach.

Tips for the first thousand miles, do what the manual says for break-in and beyond that just avoid short trips when possible (short trips do not allow the engine to get fully up to temperature, which is important for optimal engine health in general but especially important on a young engine).
Ugh, so it seems like the options for customizing the right side of the VC are fairly limited. Kind of lame, I don't care too much about the short and long term MPG or energy usage meters, wish I could throw up media or phone controls on that side while I have nav open on the left.

Good call with the HUD though I didn't think about that, I'll probably avoid the windshield and save some cash.

Whats this about short trips though? A lot of my drives are fairly short (gym is 5ish minutes away, groceries are also 10 min or so away), this is a problem?
Old 10-15-2017, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MedStudentS4
Whats this about short trips though? A lot of my drives are fairly short (gym is 5ish minutes away, groceries are also 10 min or so away), this is a problem?
The short answer is that cold engines wear more, and if you only drive 5 mins / 5 miles you will never fully let the engine warm up to where the innards even get a chance to settle into place and seat the rings into the piston walls at operating temp. It could lead to premature loss-of-compression issues later in the life of the engine.

Don't overthink it but don't limit yourself to only those drives. Take a joyride or three.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I have 70% 3M Crystaline on all my cars all around (nothing on the windshield). It has fantastic heat rejection, and it's basically invisible, which I prefer.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stanj
I have 70% 3M Crystaline on all my cars all around (nothing on the windshield). It has fantastic heat rejection, and it's basically invisible, which I prefer.

How much did Crystalline run you? I just got quoted roughly 600 which is almost double the price of other 3M films.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MedStudentS4
How much did Crystalline run you? I just got quoted roughly 600 which is almost double the price of other 3M films.
I did the four doors, the back window, the sunroof and the two little windows by the back doors for $1k flat. This is at my favorite installer where I know I'm paying a premium. Plus SF Bay Area where I'm paying a premium for just about everything
Old 10-17-2017, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stanj
I did the four doors, the back window, the sunroof and the two little windows by the back doors for $1k flat. This is at my favorite installer where I know I'm paying a premium. Plus SF Bay Area where I'm paying a premium for just about everything
Ended up opting for 30% Suntek ceramic for about 400, hopefully I don't regret not going with crystalline