AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b9-platform-discussion-214/)
-   -   Newbie and Need some Help Please... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b9-platform-discussion-214/newbie-need-some-help-please-2941007/)

Idrive2Much 01-15-2018 05:25 PM

Newbie and Need some Help Please...

Hi, recently took delivery of a 2018 S4 premium with nav, sport package, dynamic steering. So far, so good with the exception that I can't figure out how to check my tire pressure? seems like I went through all the menus a million times and all I get is being asked to store the pressure. I can't believe a car this sofisticated doesn't show individual tire pressure. What am I missing/
thanks,
Stu

markcincinnati 01-16-2018 05:32 AM

There is NO individual tire pressure display. The process is: You inflate ALL of your tires to the desired pressure. Then, you store the pressures. As time passes it is possible that the tire pressure decreases somewhat. At a point in time where the pressure in one or more tires has decreased sufficiently to warrant your being told you need to reinflate, the system gives you an alert.

I had my one non-Audi, an Acura TL (2012) and it did indeed have individual tire pressure readouts. It's not rocket science. I am certain there is a reason that Audi has chosen not to implement this technology.

My guess is that most people are very inattentive to their tire pressure and that Audi's argument would be they tell you when you MUST take action. Studying a screen with your tire pressure numbers on it is something few owners do. We shop at Costco weekly. We have our tire pressures reset weekly, free of charge. No biggie. But, we're probably the exception.

My thoughts are that I'm not troubled that the S4 lacks an individual tire pressure readout. On the other hand, it does seem odd that such a readout is not included.

daniel1113 01-16-2018 05:35 AM

Your S4, like all modern Audis, uses indirect TPMS. This means there are no pressure sensors in the tires. Instead, the car determines if there is a likely tire pressure issue by measuring the rotational speed of each wheel. The benefit is that you don't need TPMS sensors, which are expensive and prone to breaking. This makes it much easier to swap wheels and tires because you don't need to swap sensors or purchase more sets for additional wheels. Many people, myself included, consider this a benefit and not a feature that's lacking in the S4. Here's a good explanation:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=44

Aviator6 01-16-2018 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by daniel1113 (Post 25096896)
Your S4, like all modern Audis, uses indirect TPMS. This means there are no pressure sensors in the tires. Instead, the car determines if there is a likely tire pressure issue by measuring the rotational speed of each wheel. The benefit is that you don't need TPMS sensors, which are expensive and prone to breaking. This makes it much easier to swap wheels and tires because you don't need to swap sensors or purchase more sets for additional wheels. Many people, myself included, consider this a benefit and not a feature that's lacking in the S4. Here's a good explanation:

+1 TPMS sensors are a PITA

jayhawkmd 01-16-2018 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by daniel1113 (Post 25096896)

Completely agree. We have a Toyota minivan in our garage that has direct TPMS and it's a pain in the a$$ to change to winter tires. Requires purchase of another device to reprogram the ECU to those sensors for every tire change, and I had to buy them with the winter setup for an additional $200. Changing wheels is a walk in the park on the Audi as far as TPMS. No contest. Audi's implementation of indirect TPMS is a benefit. If I need to know the pressures in each tire that badly, I'll just get the gauge out.

rccoleman 01-16-2018 01:23 PM

As long as it identifies which tire it thinks is low, I'm okay with whatever method they use. From the owner's manual, it looks like the 2018 S5 sportback that I've ordered does that, but some confirmation from folks who actually have the car would be helpful. My current Lexus IS350 uses direct TPMS but doesn't show any tire pressure values, so I have to manually track down the problematic tire(s) when it complains.

visualguy 01-16-2018 02:10 PM

I much prefer direct TPMS that shows tire pressure readings.

Idrive2Much 01-16-2018 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info. As I was digging some more yesterday, I realized that Audi uses an indirect system, which honestly shouldn't have surprised me as I just changed to winter tires and realized that i didn't have to purchase TPMS sensors with the winter rims. While we can debate the merits of each system, I'm still surprised Audi uses this vs. the direct system which in my opinion is better in terms of a numeric readout vs. reacting to a display symbol. Expenses aside, as nothing is cheap with this car, it still surprises me. Having had many other premium cars, I would never have guessed that Audi did it this way. Oh well...it is what it is.

Originally Posted by markcincinnati (Post 25096892)
There is NO individual tire pressure display. The process is: You inflate ALL of your tires to the desired pressure. Then, you store the pressures. As time passes it is possible that the tire pressure decreases somewhat. At a point in time where the pressure in one or more tires has decreased sufficiently to warrant your being told you need to reinflate, the system gives you an alert.

I had my one non-Audi, an Acura TL (2012) and it did indeed have individual tire pressure readouts. It's not rocket science. I am certain there is a reason that Audi has chosen not to implement this technology.

My guess is that most people are very inattentive to their tire pressure and that Audi's argument would be they tell you when you MUST take action. Studying a screen with your tire pressure numbers on it is something few owners do. We shop at Costco weekly. We have our tire pressures reset weekly, free of charge. No biggie. But, we're probably the exception.

My thoughts are that I'm not troubled that the S4 lacks an individual tire pressure readout. On the other hand, it does seem odd that such a readout is not included.

Idrive2Much 01-16-2018 05:13 PM

+1 for me

Idrive2Much 01-16-2018 05:21 PM

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. Had I known before, I still would have gotten the car as I bought it for the performance first and foremost. I like to check the pressure during spirited driving just to have peace of mind that the tire pressure is stable. Don't love the thought of having to wait until I lose 20% of the pressure for an idiot light to come on....but its a mute point as it is what it is...