S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Oil change specifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil change specifications

As I approach 5k miles I am looking into doing the first oil change.

I was wondering if anyone has performed a change on this new engine yet and could answer the following.

Which oil filter was required?
Weight/Quantity of oil needed?

thanks in advance!

Jettaway, if you are asking about a 2018 S4, it's going to require a 508.00 spec oil -- uberwgn

Last edited by uberwgn; 08-30-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jettaway

I was wondering if anyone has performed a change on this new engine yet and could answer the following.

thanks in advance!
Yep, want to know as well...
Old 07-09-2017, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't know your answer but just as an FYI, in the United States at least, Audi pays for your first oil change (meaning it is included in the cost of your new car, even if you didn't get AudiCare).
Old 07-09-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, indeed it is free but I prefer to do the majority of my regular maintanence. The nearest dealer for me is 2 hours away. Plus I have lost some trust in Audi techs lately with my prior vehicles.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

thanks in advance!
The oil required by the 2018 S4 V6 T is a "special" oil -- hopefully it is NOT an Audi branded oil, but the oil is said to be easily identifiable because of its GREEN color. Presumably it is NOT backwards compatible, too.

This means, if you want to change your own oil you need to buy the Professional OE oil.

I found the Audi 2018 services PDF for ALL US models and the S4 is the ONLY model not listed, why? Read on.

Castrol Edge Professional OE (with a special green dye in it) synthetic - 5W 40, (Professional OE) $7.71 per "bottle" - dealer price to customer.

Castrol Edge NON professional OE is $10.00 per bottle and if you do NOT use the GREEN died oil you need to confirm if you void the warranty, which on the S4 is possible.

Castrol Edge, Professional OE 5W 40 is ONLY sold at Audi dealers and the dye is to allow Audi to see if you've been putting a wrench to the car -- that is a quote from both the service manager and the parts manager.

You can change your own oil -- the oil on sale at the Audi dealer is less expensive than the oil of the same name (minus the Professional OE label). The idea is to "force" the proper oil usage. Perhaps folks have been using non standard oil in their S4's and then making warranty claims. This green dye is intended to prevent this without a markup that would penalize owners.

From the horse's mouth.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any idea on the quantity of oil necessary for a change? And also filter specs?
Old 07-12-2017, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Any idea on the quantity of oil necessary for a change? And also filter specs?
The "fill up" quantity is, of course, not an even number -- 7.2 quarts of oil per change.

I usually "ask" the dealer for a "full bottle" when I leave. I rarely need it, but at least I have it. So far, my service adviser just gives me a bottle -- over 53,000+ miles in my 2014 S4, I may have gotten 2 bottles (I always change the oil every 5K miles no matter what).

In terms of the oil filter, the dealer has an Audi part number, but I didn't get any signals that the Audi filter was a requirement -- so, I would assume you go to your auto parts store either ON LINE or @ retail in person and look up your car in a catalog from, for instance, Fram or Mobil1 or whatever the parts store carries. If there is a "Fram" filter that is available for the OEM part (the substitute) I'd assume that would be fine.

If you are even remotely worried about this, I'd ask the dealer if the filter MUST be an Audi part in order to maintain the warranty.

I would doubt that. But, hey, asking is free, at least. I like to ask via email, that way you have it in writing should there ever be an issue.

The oil thing is very interesting -- this must mean that using the wrong oil has caused problems and then when the customer demands compensation, Audi has a way of denying the claim.

This is not a scheme to void a customer's warranty -- it makes no sense, the difference in price -- especially since it favors buying from the dealer (i.e., lower per bottle price) -- can't possibly be a money maker for Audi or their dealers.

I have no clue about the expense of the oil filter if purchased from the dealer -- usually the auto parts store is less, but we're talking a buck or two, not anything to worry about, especially if there could be a warranty issue.

I'm going to revert to my pattern. 5,000 miles changes of oil and filter AT THE DEALER and I pay for every other one. I'll also ask for a trunk bottle. Hopefully there is a way to pour oil into the engine without a special sucker/pumper tool.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-12-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My dealer gave me a 1L bottle of "top up" oil when my car was delivered.

The oil is labelled - Castrol Edge Professional - Longlife III 5W-30.

I'm in Australia so we're probably considered a hot weather environment hence the different grade to the oil Mark has quoted.

The blurb on the back of the bottle does say that it's recommended by VW, Audi and Skoda.

It also states that it complies with the standard VW 504 00/507 00

Last edited by antman0505; 07-12-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info guys!

7.3 quarts is a lot of oil!

Do these cars have a dipstick opening to suck the old oil with a vacuum?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes.

Quick Reply: Oil change specifications