S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Oil change specifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Yes.
Mark, care to tell me where?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by James Cole
Mark, care to tell me where?
Hopefully this will be even better -- I must tell you, however, I am not, at this exact moment looking at my owners manual, but:

Under the Checking and Filling: Engine Compartment Overview in the Owner's Manual, You will see a diagram of under the hood of the vehicle. Here you will see the "Engine Oil Filling Opening" -- I found some you tube "commercials" for the vacuum pumps for oil extraction that are available.

I believe you can get one of these "suckers" from Amazon, if not, they are generally NOT likely to be special order units at a retail parts store. I believe they are even available at Walmart.

The procedure is: Get car to full engine temp; open hood, insert tube into oil filling opening, pump pump pump; replace filter; refill oil with Castrol Edge Professional OE (only available at the dealer) -- typical weight 5W 40; if you live where it gets really really cold 0W 30 is also available.

The key is the words Professional OE and you'll tell because the oil will be GREEN.

The procedure should take a maximum of 20 minutes.

In other words, the owner's manual has the info.

My assumption is that there is a drain plug, too -- but even the dealer uses the pump for typical oil changes.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hopefully this will be even better -- I must tell you, however, I am not, at this exact moment looking at my owners manual, but:

Under the Checking and Filling: Engine Compartment Overview in the Owner's Manual, You will see a diagram of under the hood of the vehicle. Here you will see the "Engine Oil Filling Opening" -- I found some you tube "commercials" for the vacuum pumps for oil extraction that are available.

I believe you can get one of these "suckers" from Amazon, if not, they are generally NOT likely to be special order units at a retail parts store. I believe they are even available at Walmart.

The procedure is: Get car to full engine temp; open hood, insert tube into oil filling opening, pump pump pump; replace filter; refill oil with Castrol Edge Professional OE (only available at the dealer) -- typical weight 5W 40; if you live where it gets really really cold 0W 30 is also available.

The key is the words Professional OE and you'll tell because the oil will be GREEN.

The procedure should take a maximum of 20 minutes.

In other words, the owner's manual has the info.

My assumption is that there is a drain plug, too -- but even the dealer uses the pump for typical oil changes.
Hello Mark...

Thanks for the info but couldn't find it in the owners manual... not even the pdf one... it says where to add oil but not where one might take it out or another parts that oil might be checked...
Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

James,

OK, here goes:

Please open your owner's manual (the one that came with the car, not the PDF) to page 325.

There is an out-of-focus view of an engine (it may or may not be an S4, in fact if I squint, I'd almost say it is the i4 in an A4).

However, be that as it may, please "imagine" you're looking at your S4's V6 with the engine cover on (that plastic affair that covers up the engine, largely). Please note that in the picture there are numbers in red with circles around them. The numbers I want you to focus on for just a moment are #3, #4 and #5. On my engine position #3 is NOT the engine oil filling port. This is what makes me think this fuzzy picture is NOT the V6.

What I want you to look at is the actual location of the numbers themselves. I also want you to "imagine" there is a number #4.5. There is, of course, no such number in the picture. However, if such a half-number did exist and it was located about mid-way between the #4 and #5, that is where there is a little black plastic nipple. This nipple is really a plug -- the top of the plug has right angles and is relatively flat.

You will need a pair of pliers -- even the pliers on a Swiss Army Knife will do -- whatever you use, plier-wise, it should be a rather small pair. This plastic plug, when gripped by pliers will be able to be worked out, it is NOT THREADED.

When you pull this plug out, hold on to the pliers or this slick little plug may pop out.

OK, once you get the plug out, what you are looking at is the dip-stick hole (you didn't get a dip-stick, you got an electronic dip stick.)

I think it is possible to pull this little plug out without removing the plastic engine cover, but it would be a heckuva lot easier if you pop the engine cover off -- it is held in by friction and there should be no issue in popping it off. I just did it -- it will likely get your hands dirty. Use gloves if you want. Putting it back on is easier than putting a paint-can lid back on. The cover just aligns and you can pound it down with the heel or palm of your hand. Very easy and it only goes one-way.

If you buy one of those "oil suckers" this hole is where you would stick the sucker's extraction tube.

You do NOT actually need a physical dip-stick, but I believe you can buy one that is meant for your V6 from Audi -- I have no plans to do this.

Remove old filter. Replace it with a new filter.

Plug the hole by returning the plastic nipple in the hole (again, the pliers will be helpful since it will be slippery and it is really pretty small.)

Pour 7.2-ish quarts of oil into the engine.

Close the oil filler hole with the oil filler cap.

Start the engine.

Visually check for obvious leaks. If you have a leak, it will have to be from the filter area.

The electronic dip-stick will NOT work immediately. This is so anytime you open the hood.

I can't quite figure out the magic combination of events that makes the electronic dip-stick activate, but mine did it in about a half an hour. Just don't lift the hood as it resets the electronic dip stick.

You CAN see this little plastic plug if you have a flashlight -- if you are not going to change the oil, that is, you don't have to take the plastic engine cover off.

Helpful?

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-24-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

James,

OK, here goes:

Please open your owner's manual (the one that came with the car, not the PDF) to page 325.

There is an out-of-focus view of an engine (it may or may not be an S4, in fact if I squint, I'd almost say it is the i4 in an A4).

However, be that as it may, please "imagine" you're looking at your S4's V6 with the engine cover on (that plastic affair that covers up the engine, largely). Please note that in the picture there are numbers in red with circles around them. The numbers I want you to focus on for just a moment are #3, #4 and #5. On my engine position #3 is NOT the engine oil filling port. This is what makes me think this fuzzy picture is NOT the V6.

What I want you to look at is the actual location of the numbers themselves. I also want you to "imagine" there is a number #4.5. There is, of course, no such number in the picture. However, if such a half-number did exist and it was located about mid-way between the #4 and #5, that is where there is a little black plastic nipple. This nipple is really a plug -- the top of the plug has right angles and is relatively flat.

You will need a pair of pliers -- even the pliers on a Swiss Army Knife will do -- whatever you use, plier-wise, it should be a rather small pair. This plastic plug, when gripped by pliers will be able to be worked out, it is NOT THREADED.

When you pull this plug out, hold on to the pliers or this slick little plug may pop out.

OK, once you get the plug out, what you are looking at is the dip-stick hole (you didn't get a dip-stick, you got an electronic dip stick.)

I think it is possible to pull this little plug out without removing the plastic engine cover, but it would be a heckuva lot easier if you pop the engine cover off -- it is held in by friction and there should be no issue in popping it of. I just did it -- it will likely get your hands dirty. Use gloves if you want. Putting it pack on is easier than putting a paint-can lid back on. The cover just aligns and you can pound it down with the heel or palm of your hand. Very easy and it only goes one-way.

If you buy one of those "oil suckers" this is where you would stick it.

You do NOT actually need a physical dip-stick, but I believe you can buy one that is meant for your V6 from Audi.

Replace the filter.

Plug the hole by returning the plastic nipple in the hole (again, the pliers will be helpful since it will be slippery and it is really pretty small.

Pour 7.2-ish quarts of oil into the engine.

Close the oil filler hole with the oil filler cap.

Start the engine.

Visually check for obvious leaks.

The electronic dip-stick will NOT work immediately. This is so anytime you open the hood.

I can't quite figure out the magic combination of events that makes the electronic dip-stick activate, but mine did it in about a half an hour. Just don't lift the hood as it resets the electronic dip stick.

You CAN see this little plastic plug if you have a flashlight -- if you are not going to change the oil, that is, you don't have to take the plastic engine cover off.

Helpful?
Any Idea on the Model of Oil Filter needed?
I was hoping to go with a local store bought brand such as puralator.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jettaway
Any Idea on the Model of Oil Filter needed?
I was hoping to go with a local store bought brand such as puralator.
ALWAYS USE THE FACTORY FILTER FROM THE DEALER. DO NOT MAKE EXCEPTIONS.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I find it hard to believe that the factory filter would be of any better quality than the top aftermarket brands I have used in all of my vehicle's oil changes since day 1. I have owned multiple cars beyond 200,000 miles running purolator filters and never suffered a single engine/oil issue.

I will gladly buy an overpriced Audi brand filter until the engine is popular enough to warrant a replacement made by Purolator or the like. But if anyone knows of such a replacement already made please fill me in.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jettaway
I find it hard to believe that the factory filter would be of any better quality than the top aftermarket brands I have used in all of my vehicle's oil changes since day 1. I have owned multiple cars beyond 200,000 miles running purolator filters and never suffered a single engine/oil issue.

I will gladly buy an overpriced Audi brand filter until the engine is popular enough to warrant a replacement made by Purolator or the like. But if anyone knows of such a replacement already made please fill me in.
Since the only place you can buy the required oil is at the Audi dealer, you might as well buy the filter while you're at the dealer anyway.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Since the only place you can buy the required oil is at the Audi dealer, you might as well buy the filter while you're at the dealer anyway.
Nah! I've been using (insert brand here) for multiple 500k cars and never had an oil related issue. I'll still with whatever I can find when I'm picking up my purolater filter. Pure oil now, pure oil later, purolater. /sarcasm
Old 07-24-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

At the moment you can purchase the Castrol Edge performance OE specific oil from multiple online resources (ECS Tuning for example) for cheaper than my dealer's asking price. Problem is these same online resources do not have updated oil filter parts as of yet.

And a side note, AUDI brand specific filters are produced by MANN corporation. And MANN filters are sold locally at my auto parts store. Which will be much more convenient for me at times of oil change. I will also likely be transitioning from the Castrol Edge to my Preferred Mobile 1 down the road.

Once I have a part number confirmed for the MANN brand filter I will be helpful and place it in this thread for others to view.

Quick Reply: Oil change specifications