S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Oil overfill

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 05:55 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil overfill

So I had an alignment performed 3 weeks ago, and shortly afterward I started receiving an "oil level high" message from the MMI. Likely unrelated, but the message came on within a couple of days after servicing. I tried re-sitting the oil filler cap, but the alert came on again the next day. I ordered a fluid evacuator and over the last couple of weeks I've been slowly pulling out a bit of oil each day, only to find that the high oil alert kept coming on every time anyhow. I'd just take it to service, but I live 2 hrs from the nearest one and my next oil change is in 700 miles anyway.

Fast forward to today, I decided to pull ALL of the oil and see how much was in the system and get a feel for how much of an overage there actually was. Should be about 7.7 qt per the user manual, I expected a bit more because of the warning message...

I siphoned out 12 QUARTS!!!

Needless to say I'm pretty upset about this. The dealership I have had it serviced at has given me issues with quality of service in the past, but this is a true kicker. I get sick thinking about the potential damage from having that much oil in the system for so long. Oil pump, catalytic converter, PCV system, gaskets, seals, etc. No telling what damage has been done that might only manifest itself in the future.

Looking for suggestions about actions to take, both with the car itself and with the folks responsible.

Last edited by aj6; 08-05-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So it took about 9,300 miles before the "oil level high" message showed up? that sucks.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine too was overfilled but only about 1/2 quart over. I thought this was likely normal practice with all the oil consumption histories of Audi’s past. Strange yours was almost double! Perhaps the service tech that PDI your car accidentally added the new oil without draining any of the transportation oil.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OMG. I feel your pain on that one....that is simply inexcusable.

Pretty obvious that the "lube tech" that changed your oil, was likely going off of the A4's sump capacity -- not the S4.

The only hole I see in your defense, is the fact that you did the service (removal) yourself, and might have some difficutly proving the dealership actually made the mistake.
They really shouldn't fight you on this....but it's possible.

It sounds as if you didn't drive TOO many miles on the overfull sump, correct?? If it was minimal miles - then, not too much harm done.
*edit: you mentioned 4000 miles driven in the video. THAt is problematic. How did it NOT tell you the level was too high???

That said -- I'd be talking about the dealership paying for an extended warranty. That is ALOT of oil (nearly double) the maximum amount.
And that is C R A ZY

To me, this seems to be an epidemic at the dealerships, because no other car takes it's oil from bottled sources, and the case of oil comes in 8 quarts -- so they figure, why not just dump all 8 in there, and call it good??
Happened to me too.

Really lousy situation. Keep us posted on what you do.
*and don't be placated by the offer of free AudiCare -- that won't help you once your warranty expires.*

**Just watched your video: take note of your oil check level procedure: per the manual, you are to bring the engine to operating temp, shut off engine, wait for two minutes, and THEN determine the correct oil level** just FYI.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider990; 08-06-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:19 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by will13k7
So it took about 9,300 miles before the "oil level high" message showed up? that sucks.
I should have clarified... I was one of the many who had the incorrect oil installed at my 10k oil change, I had it serviced due to their error at around 16k after it was discovered.

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
The only hole I see in your defense, is the fact that you did the service (removal) yourself, and might have some difficutly proving the dealership actually made the mistake.
They really shouldn't fight you on this....but it's possible.
Definitely. But I wasn't expecting to pull out a full extra gallon either. I thought it was maybe a half quart or so high and wanted to know the exact amount since my small siphonings weren't bringing the oil level sensor down.

It sounds as if you didn't drive TOO many miles on the overfull sump, correct?? If it was minimal miles - then, not too much harm done.
*edit: you mentioned 4000 miles driven in the video. THAt is problematic. How did it NOT tell you the level was too high???
No idea why it didn't register until recently. It was last serviced almost 5 months ago. Makes me think oil was added at some point in the recent past, perhaps accidentally, but even that's bizarre to consider.

That said -- I'd be talking about the dealership paying for an extended warranty. That is ALOT of oil (nearly double) the maximum amount.
And that is C R A ZY
Really lousy situation. Keep us posted on what you do.

I sent an email to the service manager last night, and linked him to the video as well. He gave me a call this afternoon and as expected he deflected responsibility and basically chalked it up to a mystery as to how the oil level got to be what it is. Offered to "look over" the car the next time I bring it in, which would ironically be for another oil change here in the next couple of weeks. I'd get Audi of America involved, but they've proven to be a limpwristed sideshow to a great extent with a couple of issues I've had on other cars in the past. I haven't decided my next move, since the service manager is deflecting and I'm not close enough to just pop over during the day to have a chat.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like they mistakenly added oil at the time you did your alignment. Maybe I’ll ask about getting a dipstick at my next service...
Old 01-03-2019, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is downright Scary!!!
Old 01-04-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is a major downside of not having a dipstick from the factory. The MMI doesn't show how much over the full mark in this condition, which is a real problem. All these reports have me second guessing purchasing Audi care for my S5 and instead doing the maintenance myself. It's pretty much just oil / filter & brake fluid changes anyway.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 AM
JD.
AudiWorld Junior Member

Don't forget spark plugs at 6y or 60,000km are included in Audi care.

Last edited by JD.; 01-05-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

By any chance, did the oil have a fuel smell to it? The reason I ask, is there have been reports of fuel mixing with the oil in DI turbo motors, which increases the oil level and has nothing to do with adding too much oil. If you read some of the Honda boards on this you will understand what i am talking about.

Quick Reply: Oil overfill