S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Opinions about aftermarket (non OEM) wheels in general

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions about aftermarket (non OEM) wheels in general

I’m trying to figure out what to replace the stock 18” wheels with on my B9 S4. What’s the downside of aftermarket wheels (non OEM)? I can’t imagine what the downside would be to aftermarket other than perhaps weight. I replaced one OEM wheel on my 2006 BMW 330i Sport with a replica, and I could not tell the difference visually or dynamically.

I’ve found some wheels on eBay, but wanted input from others regarding any experience or downsides. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesley Walls
I’m trying to figure out what to replace the stock 18” wheels with on my B9 S4. What’s the downside of aftermarket wheels (non OEM)? I can’t imagine what the downside would be to aftermarket other than perhaps weight. I replaced one OEM wheel on my 2006 BMW 330i Sport with a replica, and I could not tell the difference visually or dynamically.

I’ve found some wheels on eBay, but wanted input from others regarding any experience or downsides. Thanks.
Most "brand name" wheels are good quality and have no downsides. Some are lightweight and some are heavier. There are a few replica wheel companies for Audi which have been widely used with no issues but I am a big fan of BBS and OZ. For the most part, you get what you pay for.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hello, I have a 2010 a4 avent and I just got new wheels. 19 HRE very nice and light. don't do replicas if you can get a good brand wheel. HRE has a crazy deal right now
Old 12-25-2018, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Really no downsides to high-quality wheels except the need for centering rings.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

From a financial perspective, one downside is they usually reduce resale value rather than preserve or increase it. Two exceptions being that if you are fitting winters, or you curb the crap out of a set of OEMs and need to replace them, it is sometimes (usually) better to get aftermarket from a TCO perspective because the savings typically outweighs any potential value hit (unless you are leasing). It does help that some quality OEM replicas e.g. Hartmanns may mean you take no value hit at all because likely nobody will notice.

Rule of thumb is that any wheel becomes worth ~50% of it's brand new price the moment it is first mounted, so if you intend to refit OEMs for lease turn in there is also that to consider if you are hoping to resell your $4000 set of wheels privately. This instant depreciation is largely because there is no guaranteed way to prove a wheel is straight & true without spinning it on a balancing machine, and even then there is no way to prove it wasn't bent previously and repaired. So new wheels become worth significantly less the day they are mounted up.
The following users liked this post:
snowchaser (08-19-2021)
Old 12-26-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

usually for the lower cost options, the finish starts to noticeably degrade in less than 2 years and they bend easier, but they cost less than some tires, so it becomes a wear item.

Last edited by will13k7; 12-26-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good feedback guys. Thanks.

i was specifically looking at these...bad idea?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-INCH-RIM...edirect=mobile

Last edited by Wesley Walls; 12-26-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

On one hand you are looking at wheels that cost maybe 50-75% of the tire you'll put on them. So on the surface, yikes about that fact.

On the other hand I myself run something very very similar during winter, both in design and price: 18" Andros R9. They have been solid for a winter and a half so far (in fact more so than my 19" OEM summers, which I have now bent two seasons in a row vs. zero bends on the winters thus far despite similar mileage on both. I bought my winter set from TireRack.

So I think you are likely okay to go this route as long as your expectations stay commensurate with the price. Think of them as a wear item as someone else suggested. One suggestion I will make is don't buy them from eBay, but from a reputable wheel & tire retailer e.g. TireRack like I did, so that you have some recourse if they show up damaged or with a manufacturing defect.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 12-27-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
On one hand you are looking at wheels that cost maybe 50-75% of the tire you'll put on them. So on the surface, yikes about that fact.

On the other hand I myself run something very very similar during winter, both in design and price: 18" Andros R9. They have been solid for a winter and a half so far (in fact more so than my 19" OEM summers, which I have now bent two seasons in a row vs. zero bends on the winters thus far despite similar mileage on both. I bought my winter set from TireRack.

So I think you are likely okay to go this route as long as your expectations stay commensurate with the price. Think of them as a wear item as someone else suggested. One suggestion I will make is don't buy them from eBay, but from a reputable wheel & tire retailer e.g. TireRack like I did, so that you have some recourse if they show up damaged or with a manufacturing defect.
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that on the one hand, they are so inexpensive that it’s not like I’d have high expectations. On the other, I still don’t know what people mean by “you get what you pay for.” What does that mean? Are they not completely round? Do they fly apart at speed? The only downside I could expect might be weight, and durability (perhaps a greater propensity for being bent).

And yes, I looked on Tire Rack, which I’d much prefer to do, but they don’t have anything I really like. I’ve been looking for THESE SPECIFIC RS3 euro-spec wheel designs for some time, and these on eBay are the first I’ve seen. Perhaps this design will crop up from some more reputable wheel manufacturers given enough time.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesley Walls

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that on the one hand, they are so inexpensive that it’s not like I’d have high expectations. On the other, I still don’t know what people mean by “you get what you pay for.” What does that mean? Are they not completely round? Do they fly apart at speed? The only downside I could expect might be weight, and durability (perhaps a greater propensity for being bent).

It means that the wheels will have a propensity for bending and a finish that will not hold up over time. The wheels may also be difficult to balance. Hartmann and VMR both make decent quality replica wheels that are hubcentric for Audis. I would trust both of those far more than no-name wheels sold on ebay.

Quick Reply: Opinions about aftermarket (non OEM) wheels in general