S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Power and torque gauges on S4

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power and torque gauges on S4

Using obd11, i was able to enable these gauges, however they are stuck @ 100%... I read somewhere that more hardware is needed for these to work... i suspect that other settings or sensors may need to be enabled? Any insight?
Old 03-04-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

As you already correctly summarized: the sensors aren't there (actually they're there, they're just not exposed to the MMI; the ESP could not work without an IMU, for instance). You need to get an RS car to get this functionality.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They're cool, but not all that functional. You can't really keep your eyes on them while you're driving THAT fast.

Cool, nonetheless.

Personally, I'd like to see a modified set of "SPORT" menus that included the BIG center gauge with a bigger Boost gauge incorporated, Oil Temp, and the Redline Accentuation that's in the RS cars.

More function, less fluff. And i don't think I should have to pay $10-15K more for that option.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider990; 03-07-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm with ghostrider on this one. Less party tricks to impress passengers, more useful driving data please.

Below is the gauge cluster of my 600cc sportbike, a 2009 ZX-6R. It has 100% of the driving data I need and nothing I don't.
My bike's big brother, the 1000cc ZX-10R, has a nearly identical gauge cluster.

If Kawasaki can do it then so can Audi: there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to have the same basic information available on my "middleweight class" S4's HUD without paying $15,000 extra for the "superbike class" RS4, which is not available in the US anyway even if I was willing to pay.

Fun fact: to ghostrider's point about not being able to use this info when driving that fast: he's right. At the track, we place blue painter's tape over the speedometer portion of our bikes' dashes: speed is a 100% useless measurement to have in circuit driving scenarios (the only thing that matters is lap time) and having it visible is a dangerous distraction/recipe for crashing as it can tempt you to squeeze an extra 1mph out of your bike when conditions (tire wear and temp level, surface conditions, surface temp) make it unsafe to do so, even when it may have been safe on your last lap. You ride the bike by feel coming into a corner, not by speed.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 03-07-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good call Brian.

I'm a motorcyclist as well, and if you look at some of the newer bikes coming out with multi-function TFT displays (totally similar to VC in ours)there is a programability to these bikes that can be paid for at time of purchase, or anytime afterwards.
KTM is one of those manufacturers doing this now.

It's simply a matter of using the same OBD-style plug-in device to activate certain features at the dealership, such as cruise control, quick-shifter, and other ECU maps. It's all built-in from the factory.

Why in the world couldn't we also have this same technology in our $60k cars vs. a $20k bike??
The economy of scale principal used by manufacturers, would suggest that given the number of cars Audi produces worldwide vs. the number of motorcycles produced (collectively or by a single manufacturer) should be simple for these features to ALL be included in a car's software, and later "activated" by a dealership. Certainly would make production and ordering simpler!

The performance and engineering of these cars amazes me, but AUdi is NOT at the forefront of Technology or feature-rich cockpits and controls by any stretch of the imagination.

Hell, even Kia, Hyundai, Mazda, Honda, and Toyota have all of the same lane keeping, side-assist, pre-sensing, and automatic cruise control features that we have.....for alot less money.

And looks like Caddilac just beat the Germans to the Autonomous Driving Punch, let alone Tesla.

end hatred.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider990; 03-07-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Why is there a boost LINE gauge on the S4 TFT screen -- but when someone activates the "RS" boost graphic it doesn't work? Have I got this right?

I do like the RS tach needle presentation and screen color change. You know what? I'd rather have the ability to select RPM display as a parm for the Heads up, though.