S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Pre Sense: "Not in My House!"

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Talbot
I really don't know what my reaction was when it happened...but I do remember it was a hell of a jolt. I thought there was some serious malfunction in the engine or transmission, so likely I, too, added to braking to avoid stopping right in the oncoming car's path.

The one thing I am 100% sure of is that outside of the car's intervention, I could, have easily completed my maneuver without even cutting it close. Heck, my wife was in the car, so I know I accounted for an even larger margin of safety. Again, I'm especially aware of the situation on this particular turn. Moreso than a normal, casual drive.

Also, I'm not considering defeating the system because of a one-off incident. Next time, though, I'll be better able to contain my bladder!
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me with the missus in the car and she was pissed off. Left turn across a 2 lane road, waiting for a car to pass, I started edging forward then gently tapping the gas and boom braked so hard I thought we hit something. Wife was very unhappy with the experience.

I was a little annoyed too. Seems like Audi has tuned it for that scenario so far. I've had presense come up a few times since then for other situations but those were more understandable (driver in front brakes suddenly on a highway, etc.).

I guess they obviously programmed it to be more conservative than we expected.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Talbot
On Saturday, while city driving, I had a not-too-pleasant experience with (what I suppose was) the Pre Sense "City" function.

I'm stopped in an intersection, waiting to turn left (under a green light). Oncoming traffic is staggered out just in the way that people love to do around here, making it difficult to turn left.
Anyway, I bided my time, and - since I'm still under 250 miles - I'm cognizant that I don't want to just stuff the accelerator to the floor to cross 2 lanes of traffic. (This is in a downtown section of town, so the speed limit is probably 25/30 here).

Anyway, I find an upcoming hole in the cars and I proceed with a moderately aggressive nudge to the accelerator and WHAM. The car stops like I hit a brick wall. My first, instant reaction was "Aw schiesse, the transmission or engine fell out."
A quick glance down at the VC, and there was a BIG RED "PRESENSE" indicator. Now, I was not exactly left hanging out in the lane for the incoming traffic when I got stopped, but I was not far from it. It was a pretty disturbing incident.

What I do know is: I was not in any collision trajectory by a long shot, AND I did not notice any "pre"-action WARNING to this event.

What I don't know is this:
1) Did I start my maneuver too closely to the passing car (the one I'd be turning BEHIND) and the system though I'd hit that car
or
2) Did the system make a judgement that the 2nd car (the oncoming one) that I was cutting it too closely to go in front of him.

I don't really want to turn safety functions off in my car, but I'm hoping I can tune this one down a little bit.

Maybe Pre Sense is not the correct name of the function that intervened. According to this, it may be "Turn Assist"

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...e-systems-7184
This exact same scenario happened to me in my A4. Plenty of time to make the U turn and it slammed on the brakes leaving us in the middle of the intersection with a stopped car and oncoming traffic.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

It slammed on the brake when I was going 60 mph around a curve... because the sensors saw that there was another car stopped in a short left turning lane as my car came around the curve. But I was going straight with a green light! It slammed on the brake so hard that my seat belt actually dug into my chest... And then it released the brake as soon as the curve ended and the sensors saw no car in my lane...