S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Audi Beam Rings - available at last

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Audi Beam Rings - available at last

I'm now at a tick or two over 600 miles on my new S4. I'm still learning some of the features (and how they work and when they won't) of the Driver Assistance Package.

When I get everything set just so, the damn thing nearly drives itself -- I particularly like the Adaptive Cruise Control in heavy traffic for the nearly stop-n-go trip home on I-275. It is eerie, too, how "it knows" to steer the car on some interesting sweeping curves on some well maintained (and lined) secondary roads. Haven't experienced the "Auto" headlight feature in action yet. Also, thankfully, haven't had the Pre-sense or whatever feature it would be, require intervention to prevent me from slamming into another driver who is in the process of having a "stupid attack." This feature -- DAP -- ought to be standard as should the top-view camera.

It is "odd" (perhaps just a marketing decision) that you can only order the DAP if you configure your new S4 as a Prestige model. Frankly, I have no issue with doing that -- other than the fact that leasing a Prestige model is, well, "unattractive," compared to the P+. Since this is the first car I have purchased (since I have ALWAYS leased, previously) in 40-years, I'm not being hit with the unattractive residual a Prestige model carries.

The "droning" I have been droning on about continues to diminish, and I'm at a point that it is, finally, acceptable. I expect it will continue to subside until it becomes "the sound" it makes. At near full-cry (I have not yet completely floored it, thinking the "break-in" language is more than a suggestion), the sound is great, love it, mostly, in fact.

Also, at just 600 miles the car now feels as if there is no longer a brake that needs to be released -- meaning, I think, friction is tapering off nicely.

On the highway -- on a recent trip from Cincinnati to Columbus and back, the mileage actually went to 30 mpg. Overall, mileage has been around 20 mpg, but strictly local (slow speed heavy traffic) mileage is around 15 mpg.

Mileage continues to improve a few tenths virtually every day.

Always keeping the transmission in "S" mode. Zero lag, due to, I presume, the higher RPM's the engine "enjoys" while in "S" mode.

Using ONLY Top-tier gas: Shell and Costco. I don't know what came in the car, but the last two tanks (for a total of my third) have been Top-tier.

Routine will be to change the oil+filter (at the dealer) every 5K miles, meaning I will pay for every other one and have twice as many as the warranty requires.

Great sound system -- actually had to turn the bass down; never had to do that on the 2014 S4's B&O system.

Speaking of the 2014 S4: Dealer took my leased 2014 P+ S4 (@55K miles) and "CPO'd" it and put it on their lot at $37,400. My lease buy out was $30,000. I assume the dealer got at least that deal on it. At some point, I'll ask them what they ended up selling the 2014 for off of the $37,400 asking price.

When the 2018 came in, the Audi Beam Rings (presumably a port-installed feature), were STILL NOT AVAILABLE. Dealer ordered the part and installed them -- the effect, especially after dark is grin inducing. My wife wants them on her built today 2018 SQ5 Prestige -- also still not available.

Since so many Daytona Gray Pearl with Magma Red leather interior cars have been pictured here on AudiWorld, hopefully the "beam ring" shot here will be sufficiently different to not be boring. Also, I believe mine will be one of the few with the 18" wheels and summer-only shoes.

2018 S4 Prestige: Daytona Gray Pearl, Magma Red, Driver Assistance Package and Audi Beam Rings. $60,650 MSRP + $896 (as I recall) for AudiCare (overall MSRP minus ~6.5% discount minus the Audi Loyalty Bonus which is subtracted AFTER the ACNA discount). I've been a member of the ACNA for, literally, decades (if you want to acquire one of these great cars and don't join the ACNA first, well, you may have been dropped on your head as a child, the 6% discount is so worth it).

Drive it like you live.

P.S. I do NOT have the "sport package" on this -- one of two configurations I ordered. I can tell you, however, that it is a sign of the times even in the Big Town (or small city, if you like) of Cincinnati, that the Torque Vectoring "sport differential" is something I do not miss (even though, for reasons I cannot justify logically or demonstrate performance provable, I would buy were it priced as it was on the B8 S4 as a stand alone option for $1,100). The cornering capability of this suspension and tires (and my Audi Driving schools) are able to induce nausea in passengers it is so good. Much as my emotion and ego would love to have the TV diff, it would be more for bragging rights than any discernible difference in handling (dammit!)

First image (not yet dark of night) beam rings visible.

Second image 3/4 view showing 18" standard wheels.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 05-10-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:05 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post, it's good to hear things are breaking in well, particularly with the sound/drone since a few have spoken up against it. Love the first pic. Such great contrast.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1. The Audi Beam Rings are indeed grin-inducing.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:31 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
+1. The Audi Beam Rings are indeed grin-inducing.
Grin-ducing. Missed opportunity there
Old 05-14-2017, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have a PN for the rings? is it an audi part or aftermarket?
Old 05-14-2017, 03:10 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

2018 S4 Audi logo beam rings
Old 05-15-2017, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to tell from the website, but I'm assuming that price is for a single unit, so a buyer would need to purchase two of them? Anyone tried installing it yourself, or does an Audi Service department need to do it?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
Hard to tell from the website, but I'm assuming that price is for a single unit, so a buyer would need to purchase two of them? Anyone tried installing it yourself, or does an Audi Service department need to do it?
The price is for the pair. For some dealers, $250. Though search around as there are online stores quoting below $200. I came across a thread in the Q7 forum that outlines the procedure for installing. It appears to be fairly straightforward. It's a port installed option but your dealer should also be able to install the ABRs.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

My dealer installed mine, since they were, two weeks ago, not yet available "at the port" -- I believe they are currently available.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oh well, mine say quattro. I wonder if the Allroad says "quattro ultra", heh.

Quick Reply: Audi Beam Rings - available at last