S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Real life fuel economy ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Real life fuel economy ?

What do people get as real life gas mileage? My B8 S4 gets 13/20 (the 20 being cruise control at 77mph). I'm really mainly after long distance freeway numbers in the 75-80mph range.

I searched but didn't find any threads or other information on that topic. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2017, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the UK and we use imperial gallons (i.e. 8 pints, where 1 gallon = 4.55 litres).

I had a little test the other day driving to / from a work meeting where I drove "sensibly" the vast majority of the time including "A" roads and motorways (including the M25 for the brits reading!) in a mixture of traffic, but mainly flowing. Only 42 miles each way, but my 3.5 month old S4 achieved 34.4mpg on the outward journey and 37.1mpg on the return leg.

It should be noted that this was with "careful" (mainly to the speed limit) driving and certainly not how I would normally be enjoying my car! However, in the 700 miles of ownership so far I have averaged 27mpg which I am surprised at, as well as pleased! This is a 30% plus improvement over my previous car - an S7. Mind you, I tend to buy a car for its performance and rarely look at the economy when making my decision!

I use Shell V-Power Nitro unleaded fuel.

Regards...
Old 05-28-2017, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

There have been some posts in the B9 S5 forum, so have a look there.

The B9 vs the B8 (I currently have both) indicates the B9 uses more fuel when you are on it, and less when you are not. On average fuel consumption, my B9 is using around 10% more than the B8, and my spread is 11/24 in mpg.

Which is typical of all manufacturers with their latest engines. Who all claim they have achieved even greater performance than what went before, and have also achieved greater fuel economy /lower emissions. And they have. Just not at the same time

It is interesting that with the B9's adaptive cruise control, even when you have the transmission / engine in S mode, it immediately engages the highest possible gear for the lowest possible revs. If you are doing a lot of freeway style driving, in cruise control mode (or style), you will be using less fuel than the B8.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highway only. I have gotten 31mpg (computer indicated) with an average of 60-65 mph. I have 600miles on my engine so far. In 2 weeks I am driving 4 hours each way on a highway only road trip. I'll make sure to post the data then.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm at 1,200+ miles. I have used either Shell premium or Costco premium, both gasolines are Top Tier rated. I don't know what the first tankful was, other than I know it was premium. I suspect, but can't prove, it was Mobil.

I followed the manual's break-in "advice" (for the first 1,000 miles). I did not, therefore, ever run at WOT until I made it to 1,000 miles.

I have the front tires set at 42 and the rears at 41 -- nitrogen. I have Pirelli summer-only 18" tires on the factory 18" wheels (in other words, I have less un-sprung weight than if I had the 19" tires.)

My trunk, other than a couple of towels in empty.

I had been used to a 2014 S4 -- which at trade-in had 55,000 miles on it. With respect to apples-to-apples, the '14 also had 18" wheels with UHP Continental all-season tires. I had the tires identically inflated (fronts always 1-2 pounds higher than rears), always used Top Tier gasoline, etc, etc, etc.

About once every three weeks or so I drive from Cincinnati to Columbus on I-71 (round trip 200 miles).

Whenever I make this trip, I start with a full-tank and reset both the long and short term memory computers. I can ONLY provide "trip computer" numbers -- meaning, if you think (or know) that the on-board computer is either overly optimistic or pessimistic, that is the data I can provide. I don't have any idea if the car's system is optimistic, but I can tell you that when I filled up the '14 S4's tank, it rarely predicted more than 350 miles to empty; conversely, when I fill up the '18's tank it claims 395 miles to empty.

My office is close to a Costco, so I'm going to suggest that 75% of my fill-ups have been with Costco premium, the rest with a name brand Top-Tier gasoline, usually Shell.

OK, drum roll please:

The '18 S4 is about 3+ mpg's better than the '14's thirst. I have seen on the long-term computer (on the Columbus trip) an accumulated 31MPG. Around town, 19MPG. The long term trip computer, at any given time will show ~25, ~26 MPG.

On my trips to Columbus -- in both S4's -- I use the cruise control; my '18 S4 has the Driver Assistance Package, meaning I set the adaptive cruise control on it for the drive.

Based on the Highway Patrol's revenue needs, I typically drive a minimum of 75MPH and a maximum of ~82MPH. The tachometer of the '18 rarely (on these trips in 8th gear) passes 2K RPM.

It seems -- but my memory is fading, already -- that the '14 S4's RPMs were perhaps a hair higher at comparable speeds.

My conclusion -- and I loved the '14 S4 -- is that the 2018 S4 is superior in fuel economy, quickness and ease of maintaining speed (by that I mean "at the 2K RPM level").

Some of my perceptions could be the due to the relative quietness of the two vehicles -- the 2018 Prestige is noticeably quieter than the 2014, which could "fool me" into thinking the '18 was more effortless than the '14.

In any case, the 2018 is a substantial upgrade all around -- and for purposes of this thread, the answer is that it is at least 10+% more fuel efficient, apples-for-apples than it's immediate predecessor.

Oh, yeah, the ease at which it can exceed 100MPH almost without your noticing it is quite impressive.

Drive it like you live.

Happy Memorial Day

Last edited by markcincinnati; 05-28-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got a B9 S4 with 19" wheels and summer tires. I have been going easy, never really going above 4k revs.

Purchased at 40 miles on the odometer and had full tank.
First fill was at about ~300 mark, pumping about 11.25 gallons, getting about 21 mpg.
Second fill was at about ~580 mark, pumping about 11.5 gallons, getting about 24 mpg.
Third fill was at 810 mark, pumping another 11.5 gallons, getting about about 20 mpg.

On-board computer is telling me I'm getting about 27 on the highway, and about 18 locally.Seems to be overstating the actual.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 31.4mpg @ 61mph average

Just took my first road trip from Minneapolis MN to Madison WI. Pulled down some impressive numbers. Most of the highway driving was done at 73-74 with one much faster run when the road was empty . Tire pressure was exactly as the door jam recommended and I have the 19" wheels and hankook tires.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

The drive home was even better (less city driving and traffic)

Old 06-16-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice. Which VC mode is that with the center gauge? Also does the S4 only get 2 modes while the S5 gets 3 VC modes?
Old 06-16-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have 2 modes. But the one with the smaller guages can be made with larger 2 gauges. So 3 total.

Quick Reply: Real life fuel economy ?