S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Real life fuel economy ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So would people here say the general consensus here is about 25-30mpg average? After reading thru the past 5 pages that seems to be what I am gathering. I commute 45 miles each way mainly on rural country roads (55mph) and some small towns and am curious how it would turn out. I live in California so I usually have to cough up my soul for gas unfortunately.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Answering my own question, my own commute still comes out at "well below 17mpg", and "my own highway test" comes in just below 30mpg. Interestingly that's about mpg worse than the S4 that I test drove in the same environment (took a new car on the lot for a long, long test drive - don't worry I was gentle). So the car was equally not broken in, and I don't quite understand the discrepancy. Still, too soon to tell.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stanj
Answering my own question, my own commute still comes out at "well below 17mpg", and "my own highway test" comes in just below 30mpg. Interestingly that's about mpg worse than the S4 that I test drove in the same environment (took a new car on the lot for a long, long test drive - don't worry I was gentle). So the car was equally not broken in, and I don't quite understand the discrepancy. Still, too soon to tell.
Hard to know without being in your car to experience your drive. I live in the exurbs but commute to the city with about 50/50 highway and local roads but little stop and go traffic. With 1800 total miles including one 450 most highway trip, I've got 25.3 average mpg on the long term computer (never zeroed so far) which I guess is about 24 mpg at the pump. My last tank that was 75% highway was 28.3 mpg at the pump. I run in Comfort on the highway 10-12 mph over the limit and a mix of Auto and Dynamic on the local roads. Way better than my B8 S4 so far.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

My highway test at least is pretty simple: with no traffic (means usually at night) drive from my place in San Jose to my friend in San Francisco. Reset the trip computer once I reach the freeway and set the ACC at 77mph. Read value as I'm taking the exit in SF. My B8 would get around 22 for this. My B9 gets just below 30. The loaner got 30.5.

Yes, the commute test is far harder to truly reproduce, but it was 17.5 in S mode with the loaner in 4pm weekday traffic, that should tell you something. Still better than the B8 by far.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Last measurement the vehicle had (roughly) 850 miles on the odometer. Drive in S mode in city and state highways. Interstate driving, once up to cruising speed, D mode. Keeping the RPMs below 4k. Hand-calc mileage, 21 mpg. Still using Shell V-power 93.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I decided to use D mode over the last two weeks to see if there was a significant change in fuel economy. I normally hate using this mode but with the recent mod to disable auto engine start/stop, I was willing to give it a try.

My normal practice is to use S mode all of the time except when cruising on the interstate. I'm not an aggressive driver but more middle of the road. I had been consistently averaging 21.3-21.6 MPG. This was 100% using Shell V-power. The last two weeks and exclusively using D mode, with hand-calc, first measurement was 23.7 and recently at 24.8. This was a mixture of city and interstate driving.

Is it worth it to me for the gain of 3 MPG, no. But there were times that it didn't bother me to leave it in D.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm averaging about 25.3 via the long term report with about 50/50 highway driving/city driving. Fuely says about 24.5 mpg.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spartan-S4
I'm averaging about 25.3 via the long term report with about 50/50 highway driving/city driving. Fuely says about 24.5 mpg.
Which mode to you put the transmission into? D or S? In my opinion, an average of 25 mpg is a great number for this type of car with mixed driving.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NHman
Which mode to you put the transmission into? D or S? In my opinion, an average of 25 mpg is a great number for this type of car with mixed driving.
I vary modes as to however I want. Nothing scientific. Sometimes I just drive for a little while to see how I can max out mpg, purely for interest. The overall consumption, for the performance available from the S4, to me, is fine. A great car so far............
Old 12-14-2017, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After reading most of this thread, I have to say (respectfully) for those that are so concerned about their fuel economy in this car -- you are driving the wrong car.

I'm not made of money, and frankly this car was not a wise purchase for me financially -- but the minute i got in it, I wanted it. BAD.
I made INSTANT concessions in my lifestyle to own it. The b9 S4 is literally the car ive wanted all my life.
would I prefer an RS7 or an RS4?? Well, yes YEAH! But that's just not realistic for me and my income level.

That being said, if you're that worried about your fuel economy, go buy a Camry or an Accord, or for that matter a b-cycle A4 Ultra or Etron.
I've personally spent ALOT of time in several of the aftorementioned "efficiency-minded" Audi models, and while they were hands-down better than driving the Japanese equivelants
I am here to tell you - you will IMMEDIATELY have a much much greater appreciation for what Audi has created with this model, and you won't look back.

I LOVE driving my S4! Everyday, and everyway.
It makes me LOOK better than I am. It gets noticed, it gathes crowds, it garners attention and compliments.
It makes me smile, it makes me laugh, and it makes me feel GOOD.
SO good in fact, that i don't even look at the mileage anymore when I go to fill the tank with artificially inflated super premium fuel, far sooner than
i should have to.
I just "pay the man" as somebody else mentioned. Fair trade.

I am an avid, lifelong motorcyclist - and this is the first car i've owned that has made me choose to drive my car, and
leave my bikes parked on the weekends. It's THAT good. It's that FUN.

I totally understand the rational conversation about who's getting what kind of mileage, and how to make that better.
Easiest thing you can do: mind your tire pressures, mind your right foot, drive in "D" mode, and comfort setting whenever possible.

But complaining to Audi that your "Sport" badged sedan is not getting good fuel economy??
Seriously, you're ruining it for the rest of us. You bought the WRONG CAR.

At 6k miles, I am consistently seeing between 28-30mpgs on the highway. I honestly don't care what I'm getting in the city.
I drive how I want, and usually I want to go fast.
This car is amazing. Give me more power, more exhaust sound, more intake honk, and more fun.

If there's an ECU update coming that makes mileage better -- I SERIOUSLY do NOT want it, because performance is inversely proportional to economy.

gr

Quick Reply: Real life fuel economy ?