S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Road Tests

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Tests

Any of the major magazines test the 2018 Audi S4 yet--not a first drive review, but a review with a track/road test? Magazines like Road and Track, Car and Driver, and MotorTrend. Also, curious when MotorWeek will test. Y'all heard anything?
Old 09-02-2017, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ClemsonAudi
Any of the major magazines test the 2018 Audi S4 yet--not a first drive review, but a review with a track/road test? Magazines like Road and Track, Car and Driver, and MotorTrend. Also, curious when MotorWeek will test. Y'all heard anything?
As you may already know, most of the major publications (Automobile, MT Car&Driver, etc.) have first review articles published. What I would like to see is a comparo article and/or long-term review. MT recently had a video comparing the C43 and Jaguar XE 35T. I'm hoping this will be extended to include the S4 and 440i.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car and Driver tested an S5. Any differences to a S4 would be extremely minimal.

http://www.caranddriver.com/audi/s5

Last edited by jjsC6; 09-04-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

80% of this review was history filler BS. Very little actual content about the car. Pretty disappointing.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Car and Driver tested an S5. Any differences to a S4 would be extremely minimal.

[url]http://www.caranddriver.com/audi/s5[c7d/url]
Had the C&D review been of an S5SB, I would agree -- but the S4 and S5 have different wheelbases, which I would think would have more than an "extremely minimal" impact. There are other dimensional differences and specifications that ought to modify the overall characteristics of the cars sufficiently to merit stand alone tests.

What I would hope for is several comparison tests of the hottest versions of the "standard lines" from Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes, Infiniti, Jaguar, Volvo, etc.

Separate tests -- (and comparisons) of the "RS" versions, "M's" and "AMG's" -- and the most aggressive Cadillacs (the "V's"), too would be included (not sure if that means Polestar Volvos though) -- would also be of great interest, I would imagine.

At this point, I know of no test, for example, of an S4 vs. a BMW 3 series with their turbo i6 and sport suspension, etc.

Also, is there an Alfa and Jaguar that would be competitive (in the same peer group) with the S4, etc.

I read that an RS5 SB is a "planned" vehicle for the US from AoA. That would seem to invite a comparison with an M3 and a C class AMG version, and perhaps the top of the range Alfa Guila too.

So currently, I have only my personal sense that the S4 is a contender -- and I'm sure a winner -- when compared to the BMW 3 and Mercedes C, and Cadillac ATS and so on and so forth.

Nevertheless, a Car and Driver comparo and/or a full test of the S4 would be, I'm sure, a great read.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

A quick opinion on the Guilia since it was bought up. I saw a magazine get a 0-60 in 5.1 so I thought I would at least check it out. Since the 6 is $20k more it really competes with the RS, M and AMG versions, not the S4 so you have a 4 in the Guilia Ti competing with 6 cylinders in it's main competitors.

That's where it really falls short. The 4 just ended up being a dog. C&D got a 4.8 0-60 in my car and the Guilia doesn't feel .3 slower, it feels about 1.3 slower. I think Alfa tuned the Guilia they sent for that test. Plus, it doesn't have near the torque and it's rough and unrefined. It's kinda sad because I loved the steering, handling and ride, but the engine was just sad. The interior also felt a bit cheap compared to Audi/MB. Was hoping it could be something special, but there are Japanese cars that would probably provide a better overall experience. Maybe that's why they have such big discounts on them.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ClemsonAudi
Not that I know of but I actually like watching videos of some good reviewers of the car...not total road tests but fun videos to watch none-the-less...these were a few that I liked and helped me decide on the S4. Autogefühl has some great videos...I mean they go over EVERYTHING...reviews great and informative and videos are pretty long.

Last edited by Spartan-S4; 09-07-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by kstrike155
80% of this review was history filler BS. Very little actual content about the car. Pretty disappointing.
No kidding, learned more about Arizona then the dang car!