S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

RS - Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I contacted my dealer, my rep, I am "on the short list" to drive the RS5. My interest would be in the RS5SB -- which I'm told will be a thing in the not too distant future. I am wondering, though, just what we think the odds are of a repeat of the last gen S4 mid-cycle refresh which seemed to be a meaningful improvement over the initial B8.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If I had "calling in well money" ("Well, I'm not coming in today"), the (hopefully) coming soon RS7 would probably get my nod. Yet, the one that really intrigues me is the potential of an RSQ5.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I am wondering, though, just what we think the odds are of a repeat of the last gen S4 mid-cycle refresh which seemed to be a meaningful improvement over the initial B8
Not only that, but there's supposed to be an RS5 Performance coming. Given my lukewarm response so far to the RS5, these two things are currently making me take a wait and see approach hoping something is coming that's getting me more excited and will to let my current RS5 go. Especially seeing what's coming down with the new cabin tech in the A6/7, I'm wondering if this new system will make its way into the B9.5 and I'm hoping an RS5 Performance will do the RS name more justice.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
If I had "calling in well money" ("Well, I'm not coming in today"), the (hopefully) coming soon RS7 would probably get my nod. Yet, the one that really intrigues me is the potential of an RSQ5.
RSQ5 will likely have the same powertrain as the RS5
Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm a huge enthusiast and have owned the "top spec/highest performance" car in another brand multiple times. So the RS should be targeting my exact demographic, but I'm hugely underwhelmed. The interior changes are just too minimal, the interior color selection shameful, and there is little to make you feel special....the interior is missing the wow factor, the special touches you point out to all your friends that the "lesser" cars do not have. This RS misses that in a big way. The outside underwhelms...minor fiddling aside, designers phoned it in with different front and rear bumpers and little else. Now the performance and the way it drives Im sure is very nice and an upgrade over an S car, but when I see the price I don't see the value in this RS as all. Same goes for the TT RS and RS3. Likely Audi has meet or exceeded the performance metrics customers wanted, but they forgot about making the owner feel special when the don't have the gas pedal to the floor. Some will gladly pay a notable premium for the all-out performance and knowing the have the top-spec. Others are going to be left wanting to know where all this money went in the upgrade when it looks and feels nearly identical to the S car. I understand some what subtle/discreet design, but I think Audi too it to the extreme and it's a detriment to them this time. When they amped up the S cars with the high-design sport seats, steering wheels, identical electronics, sporty trim elements, Black Optics etc they made the S cars sooooo cool there is nearly nothing left for the RS cars to add on. As a consumer the S-cars off a pretty sweet value and a compelling package, and now the RS cars have little to offer other than faster times that most of us only experience on paper and are lost out on during the daily commute. If you don't live and die by 0-60 times and braking distances, the view out of the windshield of a S or RS car is nearly identical....I think that's a shame. I see no reason I would ever consider an RS car today, and that's a shame as 5 years ago that's all I could fixate myself on....owning a RS. To be fair, BMW M cars and MB AMG cars have become diluted much that same way.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Farmerjones: I agree with you. I think what I was hoping for was the special touches that would really differentiate the RS from the S. I guess the fact that there are so few differences is a compliment to the S models. But I was hoping for an upgrade.

Your're right the S cars are sooooo cool. I was hoping the RS cars would have built on that -- but the interior, especially, seems to be virtually identical to the S's. Not a bad thing, just not enough.

I understand this means "I don't get it," and I do "get" that perspective. Most of the time I'd be driving this car on my way to and from work, not flooring it, not cornering with a big grin on my face.

I remember the S-Line upgrades of yesteryear. Perhaps the RS needs an RS-Line "look" -- something that says to the owner/driver, "this is really special."

Again: Meh.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

I think it's a cool car and it'll be rarer than the S5 so I'll probably get one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 03-16-2018, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

^^

You are the minority. Globally, around 93% of people who buy an Audi think the A models are sufficient, Around 6% of people disagree, and buy an S model. Another 1% disagree with all that, and buy an RS.

I would agree that the people (99%) who don't see the value in an RS should not buy one. I would also agree that people who drive an RS model find it very difficult to return back to an S model.

And finally, seeing I am in such an agreeable mood, I will add that I agree with you. An RS is a very cool car.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too see the price jump as a hurdle too large to justify, but if you think back to previous generations, what was the difference in the interior of the B7 S4 for B7 RS4? What I remember is unique dashboard dials (RS logo and dots on the speedometer); a different shift **** (assuming manual); and an RS in the head rest? (not sure on this one); RS on the door sills. Was there anything else?

Now, the exterior was quite different back then, the entire body was different including the front/rear bumpers, the side skirts with the RS logo and the wider rear wells. With the new generation I'm not a fan of the A5 body to begin with so I don't know how much more special the RS is compared to the S model. I wouldn't buy it based on the looks alone, but I'm not sure it's much different than previous generations in terms of added benefits, just a bit of inflation since then and a higher price difference.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, (but I am in today), I traded my '13 RS5 last August on an '18 S5. Nice car, but when the order guide came out a few weeks ago I ordered an RS5. Will there be a great deal of difference? Some, I am sure, but I like the RS and that I don't see another one in this area.. And I like black on black too. To each his own...

Quick Reply: RS - Worth It?