S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 8-speed question

Old 04-04-2018, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I've never tried in on my BMW, but my guess is LC basically overrides the cars natural programming to prevent the brake and gas to be pressed at the same time. It's like how the revs are limited on the Audi when it's in neutral since it's pointless to be reving the engine.

It would technically still just be stalling the converter, but that's how LC has been on auto's since the beginning of time. In pre-computer days it engaged reverse and 1st at the same time to lock the transmission (they called it a transmission brake back then).

It's possible Audi just doesn't enable it since it works radically different than on the DSG, and the purists will complain it's not "legitimately LC".
Old 04-05-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
I've never tried in on my BMW, but my guess is LC basically overrides the cars natural programming to prevent the brake and gas to be pressed at the same time. It's like how the revs are limited on the Audi when it's in neutral since it's pointless to be reving the engine. It would technically still just be stalling the converter, but that's how LC has been on auto's since the beginning of time.
Is the bolded part a thing? Both pedals can physically be pushed at the same time, even though there wouldn't be any reason to do it with an automatic, so what would the car be preventing and overriding? I agree that it's just stalling the torque converter when you push both pedals to the floor at the same time.

In pre-computer days it engaged reverse and 1st at the same time to lock the transmission (they called it a transmission brake back then).
Interesting bit of trivia. Thanks!

It's possible Audi just doesn't enable it since it works radically different than on the DSG, and the purists will complain it's not "legitimately LC".
This certainly seems like the case for Audi, and that's why I suspect that BMW's claim of LC in a similarly equipped vehicle is more marketing than reality. Again, I'd love to know more about what they do because my next car (in several years) could very well be a BMW.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

All these modern vehicles are drive by wire (throttle body isn't actually connect to the throttle petal directly). When traction control kicks in, the throttle closes even though you have the petal to the floor.

Without LC enabled, I'd assume they would prevent full throttle with the brake fully depressed to prevent the engine from overpowering the brakes (more of an issue now vehicles have higher horsepower and not naturally aspirated).

You can check out YouTube videos on the BMW. It was standard on my 2016 BMW 340 (but like I said, I haven't used it since it is insanely hard on the torque converter). Nice thing about the turbo Audi/BMW 3.0L is at that 3k stall point, the engine is at high boost, high torque so the need to be at 5k rpm when the clutch dumps (like a non-turbo) isn't really a concern.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The A6 and A7 only come with the DSG in a hybrid for 2019. Prior, the A6 and 7 had the ZF 8HP.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecklesswun
The A6 and A7 only come with the DSG in a hybrid for 2019. Prior, the A6 and 7 had the ZF 8HP.
Interestingly, Audi claimed that the 3.0T had too much torque for any existing DSG when the S4/S5 were announced. Apparently, not the case anymore.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires

Without LC enabled, I'd assume they would prevent full throttle with the brake fully depressed to prevent the engine from overpowering the brakes (more of an issue now vehicles have higher horsepower and not naturally aspirated).
Is it really even possible for any normal stock car to have engines that can overpower the brakes?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My understanding (from the past) was the engine could not overpower the brakes for safety reasons. Now that vehicles are drive by wire, the throttle is 100% electronically controlled by the ECU, I doubt it can ever happen. Great example is when traction control kicks in, and no matter how hard you plant the gas, the engine stops reving. I just don't know how they deal with launch control.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Interestingly, Audi claimed that the 3.0T had too much torque for any existing DSG when the S4/S5 were announced. Apparently, not the case anymore.
Has Audi ever said that or was this speculation from reviewers and/or people? I have never read an official claim and can only guess this was a cost cutting measure and nothing else.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by India Whiskey Charlie
Has Audi ever said that or was this speculation from reviewers and/or people? I have never read an official claim and can only guess this was a cost cutting measure and nothing else.
This information was relayed by Audi reps to nearly every reviewer when the S4 and S5 were introduced. I even watched an S4 review on Youtube that had an interview with an AoA product planner who explicitly stated that the ZF8 was chosen over a DSG for its low-speed smoothness and because the new 3.0T had too much torque for existing DSGs. However, I agree that the most likely reason is that Audi wanted to limit R&D and/or manufacturing expenses.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The ZF8 was introduced to replace the ZF6 as a means for increased efficiency and mileage while supporting large input torque loads. Considering the range of vehicles/brands that get this transmission (Dodge trucks, MB, BMW and Audi vehicles, etc), it makes more financial sense to buy a transmission from a company that specialize in trannies vs trying to re-invent that wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S4 8-speed question