S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 auto vs DSG/S-tronic 6/7 speed

Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Talbot
I just read that review. Am I the only one who thought this was just odd:

"...and eight airbags to keep passengers comfy and safe."

Comfy? Really? Airbags?
The actual line is this:

"Both come with three-zone auto climate control and eight airbags to keep passengers comfy and safe."

Comfy references the climate control, not the airbags.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aj6
Comfy references the climate control, not the airbags.

You are correct. I should learn to read better, especially on Mondays.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
It's hard for me to say what it is exactly, but the new S4 just doesn't feel as quick to me as the previous gen. However, I think it is the power delivery of the new engine and not the transmission, because the 8 speed on the MKI SQ5 felt just fine and I didn't mind it not having the DSG.
Your butt dyno must be off since the new S4 is a good bit quicker lol.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stillwaterS6
MotorTrend just published their review - see what they have to say about the transmission.

2018 Audi S4 and S5 First Drive Review: S is for "Smoove" - Motor Trend
I don't believe them; "Rest assured, however, the cars’ new eight-speed automatic shifts with the same quickness and seamlessness as the previous seven-speed twin-clutched." That is I don't trust there judgement.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I don't believe them; "Rest assured, however, the cars’ new eight-speed automatic shifts with the same quickness and seamlessness as the previous seven-speed twin-clutched." That is I don't trust there judgement.
Having not driven either I don't know if it does or not, but shift "quickness" is more in the tuning than the actual mechanics. Today most transmissions of performance cars have torque management built into them that dulls the shift quickness. My A7 takes out a VERY noticeable amount of torque during shifts, even in Sport mode.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A few points here.....

1. There is no doubt that conventional automatic technology is advancing to the point that the performance difference from a dual clutch is minimal. And it does add an element of smoothness.

2. Just like a full manual gearbox has its pros and cons, so does a dual clutch, and a torque converter auto. They are all slightly different and need to be driven slightly differently.

3. Production costs are always an issue, and if there is little to no measurable difference in performance between transmission variants, it makes little sense to have those variants

4. People mention the Porsche PDK, but Porsche is really in a class by themselves....somewhere between the true exotics and the big 3 premium German brands. And they are priced this way too !!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I have driven the latest A4, A5 and S4. I would always drive into and out of the dealership in my 2014 S4 w/DSG. In 50,000+ miles on my '14 99% of those miles have been with the transmission in S mode.

Due to my frustration with the DSG when driven in D mode, I tested the A4 and A5 also in S mode, once I discovered I like the i4 even less than my V6 supercharged in D mode.

When I took the S4 out, for a long test drive, I started out in D mode. I thought the parking brake must be on (which is impossible, I know), the car seemed sluggish and the shifting just good.

After giving the 8-spd a fair try in D mode, I shifted it to S mode and EXACTLY like my '14 S4, the car came alive and ready to go "on command."

Downshifts were great -- rev matched just like the DSG. Upshifts, too, were quick and a bit smoother than the DSG. My true test was in M mode and using the paddle shifters.

Virtually identical -- virtually instantaneous shifts, completely plan free. In other words, when you use the paddle you don't have to PLAN ahead and wait for the shift to actually happen a moment after the paddle is pulled.

I'll be driving this thing in S mode -- unless (and I didn't check this) it won't upshift to 8th gear in S. Then, I will use S mode most of the time and from time to time move to D to get the thing to upshift for Interstate cruising. I hope 8th can be selected automatically even in S mode.

One note. $60,000+ and PLASTIC paddles??? I'd pay a few bucks more if there was an option for METAL paddles. I know they have to pay for dieselgate somehow, but I'd pay $5 more or $10 more for metal vs "high impact" plastic.

Overall -- the 8-spd software is damn near a miracle.

Maybe the combo between the turbo's broader torque + the torque converter is part of the magic. But, whatever it is, I think it is sooo close to the DSG, I'll get over my initial trepidation (when I first read no DSG, that is).
Old 04-25-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree with the post above that it is so close to DSG!! I love it.. i have cars with DSG and PDK and this is just a great transmission for the street
Old 04-25-2017, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
One note. $60,000+ and PLASTIC paddles??? I'd pay a few bucks more if there was an option for METAL paddles. I know they have to pay for dieselgate somehow, but I'd pay $5 more or $10 more for metal vs "high impact" plastic.
The paddles were plastic on previous generations too.

It's not about saving you money or charging you more for features. It's about increasing their profit margins.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

John, I understand the want/need to increase profit margins. My point is that I would be willing to pay for metal paddles.

I was hoping your comment would be something to the effect that the plastic shift paddles "save weight" -- even though it probably would have been a very small weight savings.

But, in the spirit of full disclosure, my 2014 S4 paddle shifters have been great, and the way the DSG transmission shifts (instantaneously) is amazing; but, during my extensive test drives of the 2018 S4, the paddle shifts of the "traditional" automatic were also instantaneous.

The sales reps at my dealer, were excited when the A4 came out with the DSG and then "confused" when the S4 was announced to be equipped with the Tiptronic transmission. I must say, however, that even the most skeptical rep at my dealer is now a convert.

I think what has happened is that the RS7 and the S8 were already on the market with the Tip and "everyone" was fine with theses "high-buck cars'" performance -- it seems the S4 Tip implementation has won over most folks (at least if they have driven the new S4).

Frankly, I have only good things to say about my DSG (which I assume is at least a fraternal twin of the transmission Porsche uses -- in cars like the Macaan, which I have driven). I have experienced the DSG in the 2017 A4's I have been given to use while my S4 was in for a service interval -- and it seems to me the DSG implementation in the A4 could be a bit confusing for customers used to traditional auto-shift transmissions.

The DSG has two personalities -- "D" and "S" modes. In my opinion, "D" does the A4 no favors in terms of the "sporty sedan" intentions it is marketed to offer.

In "S" mode the A4 (and my B8 S4) are transformed into crisp and responsive machines. In "D" mode, even the S4 feels like there must be something "dragging" when the accelerator is pressed down at less than WOT.

My impression during the long S4 test I had was that the 8-speed is so closely programmed to feel like the DSG, that it too "needs" to be kept in "S" virtually all of the time.

I'm interested in feedback on the "D" vs "S" choice from actual 2018 S4 owners.

Obviously my vote is "S" virtually always.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S4 auto vs DSG/S-tronic 6/7 speed