S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 auto vs DSG/S-tronic 6/7 speed

Old 04-26-2017, 11:46 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DSG did have the very annoying hesitancy issue shifting back in to first at slow speeds, at a stop sign for example. I won't miss that.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aj6
The DSG did have the very annoying hesitancy issue shifting back in to first at slow speeds, at a stop sign for example. I won't miss that.
In "S" mode or "D" mode?

Driving my DSG around the city in "S" is annoying as hell. I only drive in "D" around town. But as soon as I clear city streets, I'm in "S" and the personality of the car completely changes.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

I also didn't like how the DSG would "hang" if you unexpectedly asked for a gear change it wasn't anticipating.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I also didn't like how the DSG would "hang" if you unexpectedly asked for a gear change it wasn't anticipating.
On what car John?

I've not had a hang as you describe it.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by arU4ic
On what car John?

I've not had a hang as you describe it.
2013 S4

I know many other people have experienced the same thing. Basically, if you're just cruising along and then suddenly request a downshift, the rpms will spike but car feels like it's in neutral as the downshift takes about a half second to occur.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had my 2014 S4 w/7sp DSG for 54,500 miles -- I pick up my 2018 S4 with the Tiptronic tomorrow. My wife has a 2014 SQ5 with the then current software of the Tiptronic (8-speed).

The S4 has been in S mode exclusively for about 54,000 of the above miles -- and S mode transforms the car. In D mode, the transmission seems to try to imitate an "old fashioned" automatic -- and it sucks the life out of the car. Besides in D mode the car is always trying to "justify" (the software, of course, is the culprit) upshifting hundreds of RPM's too soon.

In D mode the S4 seems, to me, to drive "as if" the parking brake is partially engaged.

In S mode, the S4 (and, me, the driver) breathe free, breathe deep -- the car is immediately responsive (as you would expect a supercharged engine to be ready, willing and able to be).

Also, in S mode, the paddle shifters go from "same day" service to "instantaneous responsiveness" -- frankly, if the software could be changed to engage in S mode (when starting in the AM, you have to double-pull the shift to first engaged D then S), I would set that switch.

Now, having said all these things about the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the DSG, it shifts very smoothly in Hyde mode if you are not a WOT. At WOT, the DSG shifts so rapidly there is virtually zero RPM loss due to latency. The DSG gives every appearance that it truly has zero latency -- at least in S mode or when using the paddles.

Also, it was with some trepidation I took several long test drives of the new S4 -- although I had already ordered one.

The programmers have pulled it off -- the 8-speed Tip feels very close, virtually identical to the DSG -- as long as the shift program is in S mode.

This is NOT the case with the 2014 programming on my wife's SQ5 -- in S mode, that transmission, around town, holds the current gear for an unnaturally long time, allowing the revs to build to the point it almost makes me wonder (when I've forgotten it is in S mode), "why won't this thing upshift?" Fortunately, the 2018 S4 Tip -- in S mode, does a credible job of feeling like a 7-speed DSG. My only question -- and no one has responded -- is if the new S4 will upshift to 8th if the transmission is left in S mode, more or less permanently.

Part of the "silkiness" I felt with the new engine and transmission combination must be the fact that the torque of the new V6 comes on full-boil at a much lower RPM than the supercharged V6 that was coupled to the DSG through the last year of the B8 S4.

The torque converter transmissions tend to mask any turbo lag, even it the engine "barely" has it to begin with. Moreover, the programmers have been practicing their coding craft on the wonderful RS 7 -- which ought to mollify your concerns that the DSG was replaced on an "S" model.

Also, I believe, in S mode, that the auto stop start is disabled. So, for some (but not I), if you don't like the engine stop start at stop signs and/or traffic lights, you may find S mode more to your liking. If the stop start functions in S mode, I, for one, am all for it -- but there is an "off" button, in any case.

The Tip seems perhaps a bit more willing to down shift under part-throttle -- which keeps the revs (and power) close to the ideal level.

I was looking at the window sticker of my 2014 -- 21 MPG. The 2018 -- 24 MPG. That is impressive. More power and greater efficiency.

My 2014 would regularly return an indicated 30MPG on my weekly drive between Cincinnati and Columbus on I-71. The 2018, I'd wager, will better that.

At 54,500 miles, my 2014 S4 feels "virtually new" -- and it looks it, too. At some point, it would be fantastic if it would be possible to "update" the avionics (so to speak) without getting rid of the whole damn car. My 2014 S4 will be missed -- but I want the technology upgrades the 2018 offers (and the red leather seats are stunning).

Yet, would I have been able to upgrade my '14 with the Driver Assistance Package and the digital dash -- I could easily keep my current S4 for yet another 54,500 miles -- and then some.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 04-28-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I never drove in S mode. It was way too twitchy and kept the RPMs too high. D mode was perfectly fine and responsive.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
My only question -- and no one has responded -- is if the new S4 will upshift to 8th if the transmission is left in S mode, more or less permanently.
Is there anything that would make you doubt that it would upshift to 8th?

Is that how it is set up in other S cars, where the S mode locks you out of the top gear?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
2013 S4

I know many other people have experienced the same thing. Basically, if you're just cruising along and then suddenly request a downshift, the rpms will spike but car feels like it's in neutral as the downshift takes about a half second to occur.
That's a good description, my S3 (6-speed) does this as hesitation when downshifting to a stop, particularly 3 to 2 - or 2-1 when I'm am rolling up to a stop.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Is there anything that would make you doubt that it would upshift to 8th?

Is that how it is set up in other S cars, where the S mode locks you out of the top gear?
I **think** the S programming is set to stay in 7th. - hence S-mode. On my S3 S-mode stays out of top gear unless I shift it myself.