S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 b9 Engine seized

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Keeperlit
Audi can take the car back, move me into something new and sell my S4 on themselves. I’m not asking for what I paid back on the car, I’m asking for it’s current value without engine failure.
The bolded part wasn't clear from your original post (unless I missed it somewhere) but I think it is a perfectly reasonable ask. Honestly, buying the whole car back seems like the best option for everyone involved... including Audi, who probably wants the engine (and if expense were no object, the whole car) back at their lab in Ingolstadt to figure out exactly what went wrong. Seeing the whole car will allow them to also examine the transmission, the ECU parameters, and several other wear factors on the car to make better educated guesses about how it was driven and what went wrong in the 11k miles leading up to the failure. Then they can fix it and give it to a Jr. exec to daily for a while or something.

I wish you luck on this my friend and thank you for keeping us posted. In for the end result. Hopefully they will do what you want plus some goodwill money to help you absorb the heavy first-year depreciation hit (or perhaps all of it) should you choose to stay within the brand. I can honestly say if this happened to me I might be running for the hills.

17K on my S4 and still going strong though...praying this isn't an epidemic, for all of our sakes.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

lools like you are sadly correct my dealer has informed me this morning that all audi are prepared to do at this point is change the engine.

That is simply not good enough. I will not be accepting a car back with. Different engine number from the chassis number as it will undoubtedly affect the residual value. Audi need to at least put me in the position I was before the failure and that includes making up any negative impact on the residual value of the car.

My complaint has been escalated to head of audi uk. Watch this space. But very disappointed with initial response.

L
In my mind, why would an engine swap done under warranty would affect residual values? If this is done under warranty and properly by an authorized Audi dealer, it should not affect the car's value. If the car has been in an accident then I would be concerned about diminished value. I advise that you play nice to Audi instead, They are known to give out goodwill concessions that are above and beyond what's provided in the warranty especially if you play nice. Dragging a lawyer into the mix is, I think, an over-reaction and it won't do you any good in terms of keeping a relation ship with your dealer and Audi.

Last edited by plat27265; 08-21-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for reference and perspective, look at the 991.1 GT3s and what Porsche did: Engine swaps for affected cars and 10+ years extended drivetrain warranty for those potentially affected (Warranty GT3 ). Thats a good precedent by VW group and one that helps with the value of the cars, besides being a good and honest PR move.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
In my mind, why would an engine swap done under warranty would affect residual values? If this is done under warranty and properly by an authorized Audi dealer, it should not affect the car's value. If the car has been in an accident then I would be concerned about diminished value. I advise that you play nice to Audi instead, They are known to give out goodwill concessions that are above and beyond what's provided in the warranty especially if you play nice. Dragging a lawyer into the mix is, I think, an over-reaction and it won't do you any good in terms of keeping a relation ship with your dealer and Audi.
it “should” not is not good enough for me and my 50k plus Car I bought for reliability and safety for my young family. The engine “should” not have failed at 11k but it did. Anything taking away from a card originality can and will negatively affect its value. I “should” not be the one left with that risk. Perhaps had your car let you down your opinion and perspectives would change.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=Fdvigna;25198968]
Just for reference and perspective, look at the 991.1 GT3s and what Porsche did: Engine swaps for affected cars and 10+ years extended drivetrain warranty for those potentially affected (Warranty GT3 ). Thats a good precedent by VW group and one that helps with the value of the cars, besides being a good and honest PR move.

Audi haven’t offered anything as yet but yes we can only but hope they will be sensible and proper address the issue whatever it is. Other folk on the forum are not so sure they will unfortunately but I will reserve judgement until my case conclude

Old 08-22-2018, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it “should” not is not good enough for me and my 50k plus Car I bought for reliability and safety for my young family. The engine “should” not have failed at 11k but it did. Anything taking away from a card originality can and will negatively affect its value. I “should” not be the one left with that risk. Perhaps had your car let you down your opinion and perspectives would change.
Not to be antagonistic - but your verbiage is bordering on the hyperbolic and litigious. You're appealing to the court of public opinion here trying to gain consensus, and stating your case here on the forums (ex: "my young family") doesn't serve as a grounds for your legitimacy or a record of your stated case.

I think you have a point, that a non-matching vin engine COULD be a detractor to a future sale or overall value of the vehicle, but I've worked in the auto industry, and this type of information simply IS not recorded or disclosed to future or current buyers. The only people that are going to know, are your local shop, and Audi. Yes, that may include other Audi franchised stores IF they are willing to look into the service history -- but that is not a common practice UNTIL the vehicle is brought into the service department after purchase.

A buy back on a LEMON LAW is a different story -- that WILL show, by (u.s.) law, in the vehicle history. Unless the laws in the UK are dramatically different in this regard, I don't think worrying about the future value of the car should be your primary concern or focus in seeking what you want.
You are getting a new engine - and one with less miles, and presumably defect and issue-free in comparison to the OLD motor.

By my estimation, your focus should be to negotiate a full buy back or vehicle replacement, or an extended powertrain warranty to address any possible unseen issues with the transmission or ancillary systems in the car. Keep in mind, that this vehicle already carries a fairly stout powertrain warranty to begin with, and VAG will not be quick to offer-up extensions unless you focus on the customer satisfaction half of your relationship/ownership of the vehicle with Audi.
Work through your dealership, not Audi. They have a vested interest in your happiness, and can indeed be your advocate with the local and regional Audi representatives.
Audi will not want the entire vehicle back for diagnosis or tear-down. They can get all of the information they need through the service department and diagnosis there.
Nor will they want to buy the car back - but that doesn't mean they won't, if they are properly persuaded.

Again, work through your dealership - they are your best advocate at this point. They are going to put the onus back on Audi to make THEIR customer happy -- and believe it or not, that holds a great deal of sway with the manufacturer. Audi dealerships are customers of VAG, just like you are a customer of the dealership.

Good luck.

gr
Old 08-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
Not to be antagonistic - but your verbiage is bordering on the hyperbolic and litigious. You're appealing to the court of public opinion here trying to gain consensus, and stating your case here on the forums (ex: "my young family") doesn't serve as a grounds for your legitimacy or a record of your stated case.

I think you have a point, that a non-matching vin engine COULD be a detractor to a future sale or overall value of the vehicle, but I've worked in the auto industry, and this type of information simply IS not recorded or disclosed to future or current buyers. The only people that are going to know, are your local shop, and Audi. Yes, that may include other Audi franchised stores IF they are willing to look into the service history -- but that is not a common practice UNTIL the vehicle is brought into the service department after purchase.

A buy back on a LEMON LAW is a different story -- that WILL show, by (u.s.) law, in the vehicle history. Unless the laws in the UK are dramatically different in this regard, I don't think worrying about the future value of the car should be your primary concern or focus in seeking what you want.
You are getting a new engine - and one with less miles, and presumably defect and issue-free in comparison to the OLD motor.

By my estimation, your focus should be to negotiate a full buy back or vehicle replacement, or an extended powertrain warranty to address any possible unseen issues with the transmission or ancillary systems in the car. Keep in mind, that this vehicle already carries a fairly stout powertrain warranty to begin with, and VAG will not be quick to offer-up extensions unless you focus on the customer satisfaction half of your relationship/ownership of the vehicle with Audi.
Work through your dealership, not Audi. They have a vested interest in your happiness, and can indeed be your advocate with the local and regional Audi representatives.
Audi will not want the entire vehicle back for diagnosis or tear-down. They can get all of the information they need through the service department and diagnosis there.
Nor will they want to buy the car back - but that doesn't mean they won't, if they are properly persuaded.

Again, work through your dealership - they are your best advocate at this point. They are going to put the onus back on Audi to make THEIR customer happy -- and believe it or not, that holds a great deal of sway with the manufacturer. Audi dealerships are customers of VAG, just like you are a customer of the dealership.

Good luck.

gr
Hi ghost rider I’ve read your response a few times and have taken the opinion that it’s coming from a good place so I’m not antagonised in the slightest. I’m not prone to hyperbole I guess I’m passionate about cars and my family and I’m deeply disappointed that I’ve been let down by a premium brand. The seizure was quite traumatic ie wheels locking at 75mph etc and I am genuinely thankful my 3 babies were not in the car.

I fully agree with a lot of your points on the outcome I should push for but I’m not sure you appreciate that in the UK the engine replacement is noted in the V5C which is the cars history of owners vin number etc . This log book transfers to the new owner and is always checked by a purchaser plus I would morally want to inform a buyer that the car had a full engine replacement at 11k. I am adamnet this will affect residual.

At this point in time all audi uk are prepared to do is stand over warranty which is disappointing. This is not my first rodeo, I’ve owned a dozen or more Audi’s over the years, I drive an S4 my wife a q7, my business partners an rs6 and a v10 r8 all bought through the local dealer. They have taken up the fight for me. I’m disappointed it has to be a fight. But why a large manufacturer such as Audi do not bend over backwards to satisfy a customer is beyond me. I am a company director and business man I came up with a reasonable offer to Audi uk and so far they have rejected it. I will pursue every avenue if I have to but I will not be accepting a simple engine replacement and nothing else, it just isn’t good enough.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Satisfactory conclusion reached, all parties came to the table, looking forward to picking up my new S5 SB on Monday!
Old 08-24-2018, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Satisfactory conclusion reached, all parties came to the table, looking forward to picking up my new S5 SB on Monday!
Good job man
Old 08-24-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's fantastic!

Congrats. That's a great replacement choice.....although, I STILL would rather have an S4 Avant.

You guys in UK/Europe are SO lucky!!

gr

Quick Reply: S4 b9 Engine seized