S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 b9 Engine seized

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 b9 Engine seized

Hi everyone new to the forum, have had my mythos Black S4 Avant for not quite a year and enjoyed every second of it until a few days ago when while travelling at around 70mph the car suddenly brakes and cut out completely. Several days of diagnosis later and it appears the big end bearing went causing the engine to seize. New engine ordered. Have to say I’m gutted and just wondered if this has happened to anyone else. Engine going back to audi for full strip and diagnosis. Will keep you updated as to outcome.

thanks

leigh
Old 08-17-2018, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

There were two reports of S4 catastrophic engine damage on one of the other Audi forums. How many miles were on your car?
Old 08-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Whoah. Yes, please keep us on the loop.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
There were two reports of S4 catastrophic engine damage on one of the other Audi forums. How many miles were on your car?
just turned 11k and no issues whatsoever during those miles. I’d be keen to know the outcome for the other failures and what Audi did about it. If you can point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it.

thanks

Leigh
Old 08-18-2018, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Keeperlit

just turned 11k and no issues whatsoever during those miles. I’d be keen to know the outcome for the other failures and what Audi did about it. If you can point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it.

thanks

Leigh
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...4-blown-motor!

There you go.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Many thanks, not sure where to take this. It certainly appears the V6T has a weak component somewhere that gives around the 10k mark in certain engines, a bad batch of something. All these cars including my own all appear to be the same age
Old 08-20-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow.
That's news to me.
Any clues or maladies before the failure?? Down on power / hiccups? / stutters / rough start??

I'd be more gutted about the car sitting out of service for a month or so, and looking to Audi for a payment relief.
Aside from that, a new motor would not be a bad thing! Don't forget to break it in properly!

Please keep us posted.

gr
Old 08-20-2018, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
Wow.
That's news to me.
Any clues or maladies before the failure?? Down on power / hiccups? / stutters / rough start??

I'd be more gutted about the car sitting out of service for a month or so, and looking to Audi for a payment relief.
Aside from that, a new motor would not be a bad thing! Don't forget to break it in properly!

Please keep us posted.

gr
g
Nothing at all, the car was running perfectly, in fact the engine had really bedded in and felt more powerful. It had been a complete pleasure to drive in a daily basis.

New engine has arrived already however as audi replace everything there are some parts on back order.

Car should be ready in a week or so. In the meantime they have given a suitable replacement.

i have explained to the dealership that I’m obviously very disappointed and that I have lost confidence in the car. They are currently in negotiations with audi uk with a view to replacing with a new vehicle although as I’m sure you are aware audi are not taking orders for S4s at present due to emission law change so I may look at something else if they can’t find a car already in stock in the uk.

so far I’ve been treated well but the proof will be in the pudding. I’ll keep the forum posted.

regards

leigh
Old 08-20-2018, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn this is like the 3rd or 4th B9 S4 ive read of where the engine went around the 10k mark. Luckily you didn't get into an accident when the car braked suddenly, can only imagine what could have happen. Did your dealer tow your car back? Im starting to get slightly nervous now not gonna lie lol. Hope it works out for you man, im interested to know how Audi handles this and when it'll make news. Im curios to know how many other S4/S5 this has happen to with people who arent on forums
Old 08-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=Mr.Meme Yo Girl;25198234]Damn this is like the 3rd or 4th B9 S4 ive read of where the engine went around the 10k mark. Luckily you didn't get into an accident when the car braked suddenly, can only imagine what could have happen. Did your dealer tow your car back? Im starting to get slightly nervous now not gonna lie lol. Hope it works out for you man, im interested to know how Audi handles this and when it'll make news. Im curios to know how many other S4/S5 this has happen to with people who arent on forums[/QUOTE

I pressed the emergency button in the car that calls straight through to audi assist and they located the car using gps.

I was out in the country but they had recovery with me in a few hrs. They left me home brought the car to the dealer and had an a5 sb delivered to me straight away. All in all a first class service apart from the wait.

ive been looking on a few forums and there appear to be a few S4/s5 with similar problems and similar miles. Audi have assured me this is not wide spread and has affected a small fraction of the cars out there so I wouldn’t worry. As soon as I’m told the exact cause I’ll let you know.

Leigh

Quick Reply: S4 b9 Engine seized