S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 b9 Engine seized

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hit 11k and have my fingers crossed because of this thread. Please keep us updated and thank you for sharing the information.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nims_s4
I hit 11k and have my fingers crossed because of this thread. Please keep us updated and thank you for sharing the information.
no problem, I will know more in the next few days as the engine is being stripped as we speak. When you think of all the S4/S5 across the world a small handful of cars keeps the odds of it happening very low. And you can be rest assured that audi will attempt to have minimum inconvenience to you. I’ve had my fair share of nice cars, m3, tt, boxster etc and I was really loving the S4, such a cool car that fits the family and would never embarrass itself in any company, so I’m gutted this has happened!!
Old 08-20-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Keeperlit
Audi have assured me this is not wide spread and has affected a small fraction of the cars out there so I wouldn’t worry.

Audi always makes similar claims regardless of the frequency of the failure. Audi just recently came to a class-action settlement regarding the defective timing chain tensioner on the B8 2.0T, the second such class-action settlement related to that engine. Prior to each settlement, Audi disputed claims of widespread failures and only provided recompense to affected owners after class-action lawsuits were filed.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
Audi always makes similar claims regardless of the frequency of the failure. Audi just recently came to a class-action settlement regarding the defective timing chain tensioner on the B8 2.0T, the second such class-action settlement related to that engine. Prior to each settlement, Audi disputed claims of widespread failures and only provided recompense to affected owners after class-action lawsuits were filed.
unfortunately I had had heard that but hoping as a large manufacturer they have learned from past lessons and will take this issue seriously. The engine locking up at 75mph is not for the faint hearted as the wheels locked and then released. If I don’t get the answers I’m looking for I’ll have no hesitation in taking this further, I’ve alre Informed my lawyer.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

unfortunately I had had heard that but hoping as a large manufacturer they have learned from past lessons and will take this issue seriously. The engine locking up at 75mph is not for the faint hearted as the wheels locked and then released. If I don’t get the answers I’m looking for I’ll have no hesitation in taking this further, I’ve alre Informed my lawyer.
Since the B9 3.0T is so new, I believe such failures truly are exceedingly rare at this point. However, even if a trend begins to emerge, I firmly believe Audi will deny and obfuscate until they are legally forced to address the problem.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
Since the B9 3.0T is so new, I believe such failures truly are exceedingly rare at this point. However, even if a trend begins to emerge, I firmly believe Audi will deny and obfuscate until they are legally forced to address the problem.
lools like you are sadly correct my dealer has informed me this morning that all audi are prepared to do at this point is change the engine.

That is simply not good enough. I will not be accepting a car back with. Different engine number from the chassis number as it will undoubtedly affect the residual value. Audi need to at least put me in the position I was before the failure and that includes making up any negative impact on the residual value of the car.

My complaint has been escalated to head of audi uk. Watch this space. But very disappointed with initial response.

L
Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

lools like you are sadly correct my dealer has informed me this morning that all audi are prepared to do at this point is change the engine.

That is simply not good enough. I will not be accepting a car back with. Different engine number from the chassis number as it will undoubtedly affect the residual value. Audi need to at least put me in the position I was before the failure and that includes making up any negative impact on the residual value of the car.

My complaint has been escalated to head of audi uk. Watch this space. But very disappointed with initial response.

L
I would be shocked to hear that a serial number for the engine and one for the car not matching effects resale value. I mean anything can happen to an engine block and they have to do a full swap, it doesnt mean the car is a a repo or a lemon.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jmcgeejr
I would be shocked to hear that a serial number for the engine and one for the car not matching effects resale value. I mean anything can happen to an engine block and they have to do a full swap, it doesnt mean the car is a a repo or a lemon.
dont know why you would be shocked that a car has lost some of its provenance Given it’s not as it originally left the factory and that the engine number does not match the chassis. In the uk the authorities must me notified and an amendment made to the cars log book. It is an absolute given that a car that is not fully original would have a reduced residual value. But the bottom line is I expect more from a high performance car that I paid in excess of 50k for. Failures happen, that’s life but I shouldn’t be the one that suffers as a result. If you are happy to drive a car with a replaced engine as opposed to one that has had no faults throughout its life and is completely original then I guess that is your prerogative....but I can assure you that you are in the minority.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

If you are happy to drive a car with a replaced engine as opposed to one that has had no faults throughout its life and is completely original then I guess that is your prerogative....but I can assure you that you are in the minority.
I doubt that he is. I don't know about the UK but here in the US no one would even be asking if the engine is original in a car like an Audi S4. In the mid 90's, BMW replaced thousands of 4.0 litre V8 blocks under warranty and no one even peeled an eyelid. I know because I had one of those cars. Now, if you were selling a 1964 Ferrari GTO for several tens of millions, the issue would be far more critical. So, hopefully Audi will do whatever is the right thing to satisfy you as their customer.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by India Whiskey Charlie
I doubt that he is. I don't know about the UK but here in the US no one would even be asking if the engine is original in a car like an Audi S4. In the mid 90's, BMW replaced thousands of 4.0 litre V8 blocks under warranty and no one even peeled an eyelid. I know because I had one of those cars. Now, if you were selling a 1964 Ferrari GTO for several tens of millions, the issue would be far more critical. So, hopefully Audi will do whatever is the right thing to satisfy you as their customer.
yes I’m hoping for a sensible satisfactory outcome for all concerned. My point is in the uk it doesn’t matter if someone asks or not, I am legally obligated to inform a future buyer that the engine has been replaced. This will undoubtedly put some buyers off and will affect the residual value. A dealer can offer peace of mind to a new buyer with extended warranty etc I as a private individual cannot. My actual future loss is not quantifiable at the moment, I won’t know the affect until I sell.....but why should I be the one that takes the risk? Audi can take the car back, move me into something new and sell my S4 on themselves. I’m not asking for what I paid back on the car, I’m asking for it’s current value without engine failure.

Quick Reply: S4 b9 Engine seized