S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 Now avaialbe only with automatic torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 Now avaialbe only with automatic torque converter

Does anyone know why the S4 is no longer offered with the DSG?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does it matter? It's not offered with DSG. Buy, don't buy, irrelevant.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all the speculation I've heard: the dsg in the previous s4 didn't have enough torque capacity that audi was comfortable with (not enough engineering reliability/safety margin left), they didn't want to spend the resources to invest in a new design, too many people complained about the roughness of the dsg, and the zf8 they are using now shifts fast enough and fits the market slotting for the s4.

it is odd the rs5 has a torque converter too though, given the main competition (M3/M4) has a dual clutch which are sharper and shifts faster than the zf8s.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by will13k7
all the speculation I've heard: the dsg in the previous s4 didn't have enough torque capacity that audi was comfortable with (not enough engineering reliability/safety margin left), they didn't want to spend the resources to invest in a new design, too many people complained about the roughness of the dsg, and the zf8 they are using now shifts fast enough and fits the market slotting for the s4.

it is odd the rs5 has a torque converter too though, given the main competition (M3/M4) has a dual clutch which are sharper and shifts faster than the zf8s.
Same.
If you haven't driven it, don't judge.
It's still damn good.
Not quite as quick or smooth, but same trans in multiple vehicles and platforms.
Haven't heard of many ZF8 failures as opposed to all of the DSG failures, in comparison.
Less servicing required for the ZF8 too.

take it or leave it.

gr
Old 01-05-2019, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Except an M3 and M4 are really not S car competitors, but rather RS car competitors.

340xi m sports, C43, are the S4/S5 main rivals

I get to drive all these cars on a daily basis. I have unlimited access to an RS3 and my S4. The more "traditional" slushbox in the S4 simply suits the cars overall character much better. Yes, it's a tad less engaging, but it's also smoother. Having held my pro license for a long time, and a longtime manual transmission owner, I still can't shift as quickly, or most importantly, as consistently, as the auto in the S4 (and other cars of it's ilk) can.

Last edited by SCarGuy; 01-05-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:09 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Except an M3 and M4 are really not S car competitors, but rather RS car competitors.

340xi m sports, C43, are the S4/S5 main rivals

I get to drive all these cars on a daily basis. I have unlimited access to an RS3 and my S4. The more "traditional" slushbox in the S4 simply suits the cars overall character much better. Yes, it's a tad less engaging, but it's also smoother. Having held my pro license for a long time, and a longtime manual transmission owner, I still can't shift as quickly, or most importantly, as consistently, as the auto in the S4 (and other cars of it's ilk) can.
I drove many manuals in my younger days and I'm new to the S5 and I find plenty engaging in manual shifting mode to the point that when I come to a stop, my left foot automatically reaches for the clutch. The brain can do funny things.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yep, I use the paddles in the S4 with some regularity, and I too go for the clutch too occassionally lol....though my last manual is still relatively fresh in my brain, as it was my trusty GTi (sold last year, but with me for 10 yrs)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
Same.
If you haven't driven it, don't judge.
It's still damn good.
Not quite as quick or smooth, but same trans in multiple vehicles and platforms.
Haven't heard of many ZF8 failures as opposed to all of the DSG failures, in comparison.
Less servicing required for the ZF8 too.

take it or leave it.

gr
I agree. I had a coupla S4's back in the day, an '04 TIP and an '11 DSG both nicely upgraded and driven on road courses in the NEQ HPDE's. Both trannies performed flawlessly and were very forgiving. Also in the mix was a 2000 S4 6-ps manual and no way would I choose the manual over the paddles. The DSG was instantaneous when called on for shifts but the TIP was only fractions behind, crispness being the only discerning feel. FWIW the b8 was light years ahead of the b6 in handling and engine performance.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
I didn't compare 'S' to 'M', it was 'RS' to 'M. the new rs5 has a torque converter trans. the next gen m3/m4 is coming soon, wonder if they will stick with dual clutch or follow audi's lead in cost reduction.

Last edited by will13k7; 01-05-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I didn't compare 'S' to 'M', it was 'RS' to 'M.
my bad, I read what you posted too quickly!

Quick Reply: S4 Now avaialbe only with automatic torque converter