S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 Now avaialbe only with automatic torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
my bad, I read what you posted too quickly!
no worries, just clarifying so we can complain about the rs5's torque converter. haha.

I can't really fault the zf8 in the b9 S4, it fits, but I would prefer a rougher-around-the-edges feel (raw performance) for RS cars. they won't offer a rs4 sedan, so it doesn't really matter to me anyways I guess.

Last edited by will13k7; 01-05-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
I drove many manuals in my younger days and I'm new to the S5 and I find plenty engaging in manual shifting mode to the point that when I come to a stop, my left foot automatically reaches for the clutch. The brain can do funny things.
The real danger in this is when the left foot hits the brake pedal thinking it's the clutch!
The A4 is my first auto tranny in over 30 years, I'm very relieved that I haven't made the clutch mistake with this car.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

The S tronic could not handle the amount of torque generated by the new 3.0T motor at such a low RPM. As such, a Tiptronic transmission was used. It also improved low speed smoothness and drivability. There is really no downside and only upsides. The shifts when in the DSP mode (launch mode) are almost as fast as the S tronic as well.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrissseaman
Why does it matter? It's not offered with DSG. Buy, don't buy, irrelevant.
My thanks to all members who provided thoutful replies to the topic. Through my research, I arrived at a similar hypothesis but did not know how to confirm it. Given the substantial cost of repairing or replacing the DSG this was an relevant consideration for me.

As to the the non reflective members such as quoted above, this is why: When going downhill on an icy road, the Torsen system still in the S4 requires a load to activate the torque transfer against, If the the torque converter is idling, there is no load and the torque transfer will not occur. Having a DSG keeps the engine under load and enables torque transfer. The 2017 3.0 T was available briefly with DSG so I was considering purchasing one, but not now.

Further, with the upcoming ZF tranny and the Ultra torque vectoring in the B9 successor, the new generation Audi drive train will be essentially no different than the last generation ATS. If you don’t care that old an generation Detroit Product has essentially the same drive train as your new generation. ‘Bahn Burner, have at it. Enjoy the expensive purchase price, expensive parts and expensive service for essentially no performance gain while I travel, eat well and drink well with the money I saved.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaToSky
Further, with the upcoming ZF tranny and the Ultra torque vectoring in the B9 successor, the new generation Audi drive train will be essentially no different than the last generation ATS. If you don’t care that old an generation Detroit Product has essentially the same drive train as your new generation. ‘Bahn Burner, have at it. Enjoy the expensive purchase price, expensive parts and expensive service for essentially no performance gain while I travel, eat well and drink well with the money I saved.

How is the B10 drivetrain relevant to the B9? Also, the S4 no longer uses a Torsen center differential.

Last edited by JD15; 01-06-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
How is the B10 drivetrain relevant to the B9? Also, the S4 no longer uses a Torsen center differential.
Then you confirm new S4 drive train = old ATS drive train.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SeaToSky

Then you confirm new S4 drive train = old ATS drive train.
Um, no. The B9 uses a crown gear differential, which is a full-time AWD system and nothing like the Haldex system used in the ATS. Why are you so obsessed with the ATS anyway?

Last edited by JD15; 01-06-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by will13k7
I didn't compare 'S' to 'M', it was 'RS' to 'M. the new rs5 has a torque converter trans. the next gen m3/m4 is coming soon, wonder if they will stick with dual clutch or follow audi's lead in cost reduction.
I feel they might switch to a standard torque converter auto, considering the new M5 ditched the Dual clutch and now has a 8 Speed auto with a TQ converter
Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Um, no. The B9 uses a crown gear differential, which is a full-time AWD system and nothing like the Haldex system used in the ATS. Why are you so obsessed with the ATS anyway?
Not trying to get invovled, but just wanted to correct the wrong information. The B9 doesn't use the crown gear differential. The crown gear was short lived. It made its debut in the RS5, then found its way into the B8.5 S4/5 S-tronic, but then pretty much disappeared. Audi went back to a planetary gear design. It's actually pretty much the same as the Torsen T3, but not sure what the licensing situation is. Audi no longer uses the Torsen name, but the design of the Audi diff is the same as the Torsen T3. It functions similar to the crown-gear differential. It also uses clutch packs, but as said it's a planetary gear design.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-07-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
Not trying to get invovled, but just wanted to correct the wrong information. The B9 doesn't use the crown gear differential. The crown gear was short lived. It made its debut in the RS5, then found its way into the B8.5 S4/5 S-tronic, but then pretty much disappeared. Audi went back to a planetary gear design. It's actually pretty much the same as the Torsen T3, but not sure what the licensing situation is. Audi no longer uses the Torsen name, but the design of the Audi diff is the same as the Torsen T3. It functions similar to the crown-gear differential. It also uses clutch packs, but as said it's a planetary gear design.
Thanks for the correction, I didn't realize that Audi already moved away from the crown gear. Regardless, the new center differential is nothing like the Haldex system used in the ATS.

Quick Reply: S4 Now avaialbe only with automatic torque converter