S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 Now avaialbe only with automatic torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I drove a 2019 S4 today. The shifts were as quick and responsive as my DSG B8 and much smoother at low speeds, so I'm not sure where all the complaints are coming from. Salesguy mentioned that Audi had been working on the transmission programming so maybe the 2019s are better? I do remember driving a 2017 SQ5 and thought the transmission programming was terrible.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 01-10-2019, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT-S4
Thanks Yabi.

Right now my first inclination is to get the DTP TCU+.
Where did you order from?

This is the site I have:
TCU+ Transmission Tuner - DT Power

I'm confused as to who makes this device and software, and who is actually selling and/or distributing it.

I've read few experiences.
One or two that say this device alone is great.
Another that stated just the throttle "pedal box" improved his drive ability.

There is a thread with a person called "Aaron at DTE", but he rarely directly answers questions.
His posts are much more sales talk than anything else.

I sent them another email to get more information.
Hey TT,
I ordered from the same place you are currently looking at.

I run all three enhancements; the piggy, TCU tune, and the PedalBox. Each once brings a unique element to the ride experience.

The piggy increases power by creating more boost. I switch between the 3/1 and the 1/1 map for almost a year and haven’t had any concerns. While this gives you raw power, I still felt like the car responded sluggish to my liking.

The next purchase I made was the PedalBox, this enhances the accelerator by boosting the sensitivity of the gas pedal. The result is a much faster response time that you can dial in. I run this on 2/0. When I added this the feeling of sluggishness almost virtually went away. With the piggy, the PedalBox makes the car sprint in any direction you want it to go when you want it to do it. I love this combo until...

I purchased the TCU tune. The TCU essentially makes everything smoother from a gear prospective. The shifts are faster and more on point and the ride is smoother. You really feel the entire car pushing you back in your seat as you blast forward.

IMO, the S4 benefits from all three since they all do different things. The combination of increase power, increased acceleration, and smoother delivery of power work extremely well - almost too well (its why I’ve recently purchased some 034 stuff to help with keeping the car planted).

As for who makes the hardware, from what I understand DTE is the official manufacture that produces the hardware for DTP and DTUK. The difference being, with DTP the tunes have software that's specific to US-spec cars and DTUK has software that's specific to Europe. As I understand, when DTP first started out they took DTUK boxes, re-flashed them, and resold them to the US markets. Now DTP buys direct from the manufacture; that's my basic understanding anyway. As for Aaron, he's a good guy and has historically been known for great customer service. Sorry your initial experience wasn't the same. I know he's trying to build the brand as a one-man shop and might simply be going through growing pains. From someone who's done it before, it's hard to be the marketing, sales rep, web developer, customer service, and customer support all at once - there's simply not enough time in the day to do everything flawlessly. It's not any excuse but its a potential explanation.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, I did detailed write ups on all three of the tunes that I could PM you. Just let me know.

Cheers!
Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by yabi
Hey TT,
I ordered from the same place you are currently looking at.

I run all three enhancements; the piggy, TCU tune, and the PedalBox. Each once brings a unique element to the ride experience.

The piggy increases power by creating more boost. I switch between the 3/1 and the 1/1 map for almost a year and haven’t had any concerns. While this gives you raw power, I still felt like the car responded sluggish to my liking.

The next purchase I made was the PedalBox, this enhances the accelerator by boosting the sensitivity of the gas pedal. The result is a much faster response time that you can dial in. I run this on 2/0. When I added this the feeling of sluggishness almost virtually went away. With the piggy, the PedalBox makes the car sprint in any direction you want it to go when you want it to do it. I love this combo until...

I purchased the TCU tune. The TCU essentially makes everything smoother from a gear prospective. The shifts are faster and more on point and the ride is smoother. You really feel the entire car pushing you back in your seat as you blast forward.

IMO, the S4 benefits from all three since they all do different things. The combination of increase power, increased acceleration, and smoother delivery of power work extremely well - almost too well (its why I’ve recently purchased some 034 stuff to help with keeping the car planted).

As for who makes the hardware, from what I understand DTE is the official manufacture that produces the hardware for DTP and DTUK. The difference being, with DTP the tunes have software that's specific to US-spec cars and DTUK has software that's specific to Europe. As I understand, when DTP first started out they took DTUK boxes, re-flashed them, and resold them to the US markets. Now DTP buys direct from the manufacture; that's my basic understanding anyway. As for Aaron, he's a good guy and has historically been known for great customer service. Sorry your initial experience wasn't the same. I know he's trying to build the brand as a one-man shop and might simply be going through growing pains. From someone who's done it before, it's hard to be the marketing, sales rep, web developer, customer service, and customer support all at once - there's simply not enough time in the day to do everything flawlessly. It's not any excuse but its a potential explanation.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, I did detailed write ups on all three of the tunes that I could PM you. Just let me know.

Cheers!
That's very helpful.
Thank you!

I have been in contact with Aaron.
I'm looking at the TCU+ for sure, but am considering the Pedalbox with it.
The current power is fine for me. When on full bore there is plenty of power from this engine.

I'm starting to wonder if there may be something wrong with my torque converter.
ZF specs show the "lock up" at 1200rpm, and I haven't found any information that Audi changed that.
As I often have a sensation of a "rubbery" connection on some downshifts, I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my trans.
No codes, but then modern systems won't throw codes if things are working within a spec range.
Also, my MPG is so poor it's possible I'm experiencing a lot more converter slippage.
All speculation at this point.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
I drove a 2019 S4 today. The shifts were as quick and responsive as my DSG B8 and much smoother at low speeds, so I'm not sure where all the complaints are coming from. Salesguy mentioned that Audi had been working on the transmission programming so maybe the 2019s are better? I do remember driving a 2017 SQ5 and thought the transmission programming was terrible.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's very possible that Audi has done some tuning to the trans.
When I get a chance and more 2019 S4s are on the lots I'll have to go and check it out.

If Audi did do some reprogramming to fix how this AT works, then they need to update all B9 S4s.

The complaints are coming from owners who have been living with and driving these S4s.
We are not crazy.

Also, when I was doing testing driving I was concentrating on many aspects of the car.
To get a full sense of how everything works together test drives will rarely how you that, as you just do not have a lot of time driving any one car before deciding to buy.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT-S4
That's very helpful.
Thank you!

I have been in contact with Aaron.
I'm looking at the TCU+ for sure, but am considering the Pedalbox with it.
The current power is fine for me. When on full bore there is plenty of power from this engine.

I'm starting to wonder if there may be something wrong with my torque converter.
ZF specs show the "lock up" at 1200rpm, and I haven't found any information that Audi changed that.
As I often have a sensation of a "rubbery" connection on some downshifts, I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my trans.
No codes, but then modern systems won't throw codes if things are working within a spec range.
Also, my MPG is so poor it's possible I'm experiencing a lot more converter slippage.
All speculation at this point.
Glad to have helped. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Pedal and TCU.

With some of the items you've mentioned in this and other posts, have you gone through your proper break in processes yet? It seemed like mine went through some changes over the first 1,000 miles. She runs nice and smooth now. Just a thought.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yabi
Glad to have helped. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Pedal and TCU.

With some of the items you've mentioned in this and other posts, have you gone through your proper break in processes yet? It seemed like mine went through some changes over the first 1,000 miles. She runs nice and smooth now. Just a thought.
Yes, I do an overall break-in whenever I get a new automobile.
I even do a brake system break-in by bedding the rotors and pads.
I have break-in process that I've been using since the 1990's.

Nothing has changed with my S4's drive-ability from the first day I got it.
In fact even the AT hasn't really adapted to how I drive, as it still feels and operates as it did from day one.
It was lazy to respond then and still is to this day.

I'm ordering the PedalBox and TCU+ this weekend.
If it improves the drive-ability, then the cost will be worth it.