S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

S4 vs S5

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default S4 vs S5

Hi everyone, I currently drive a BMW 340 and looking at the new S4 or S5 Sportback when my lease ends. I wanted to get your opinion on why you chose S4 over the S5 Sportback. Also wanted to get some opinions on the dynamic steering.
Anyone also jumped ship from BMW? What has your experience been so far?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:29 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedKloud
Hi everyone, I currently drive a BMW 340 and looking at the new S4 or S5 Sportback when my lease ends. I wanted to get your opinion on why you chose S4 over the S5 Sportback. Also wanted to get some opinions on the dynamic steering.
Anyone also jumped ship from BMW? What has your experience been so far?
Thanks in advance.
I really love the look and hatch of the S5 Sportback. At the same price, it would have been a better car for me than the S4. That said, I bought a S4 because:

1. Significantly more headroom, particularly in the rear seats.
2. $3000 less expensive, and more than that you factor in avaiable S4 discounting which the S5 won't have for a long time
3. S5 Sportback registered slightly slower in reviews and tests, and subjectively handled with less agility per some european reviewers.

With the S4 you get the same engine and same great interior. That said, if the price differential hadn't been so great and the S5 was available sooner, I absolutely would have picked it over the S4 for styling and because I like the hatch. The reasons were good enough for my to love the S4 more though, and as with anything you put money into, now I can use motivated reasoning to believe I made a really great choice!

Here's the diagrams of the respective A models, same dimensions as the S4/S5 Sportback. It was useful for me in helping talk myself out of the Sportback.

Last edited by aj6; 04-28-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Most folks looking at an S4 are able to "afford" an S5 (of either flavor); the same is true of the A6 and A7 class.

Perhaps as a "group" with a size of one (as far as I know, just me), if you come to understand that the differences in price are due to styling, it makes it difficult (again, for me) to justify the odd numbered Audi siblings.

A friend of mine maxed out a 2016 A6 Prestige (at the time there was no A6 "performance" iteration on the market) -- it was south of $70K ($68K, as I recall). The identical A7 was very close to $10K more -- and there was no stack of $100 bills in the glove compartment.

The A7, to many, is beautiful (and I agree). When you're driving the cars, there is virtually no difference that can be discerned other than a bit less headroom.

For the difference between the cars you get -- uh, same HP, torque, electronics, wheels, tires, suspension, etc. You get a styling exercise, and since the "traffic will allow" the bump up in price, the marketers and accountants figured "go for it."

I'm of the mindset of aj6 -- if the prices were either identical or much closer, and I preferred the styling of one vs the other, I would probably go with the S5 or the A7, etc.

The S5 (both), as far as I can tell, are either slightly smaller (dimension wise) or slightly larger. In the case of the standard S5 coupe, you get to pay more for less car (physically); in the case of the sportback, it appears you're paying for "the look."

Here is the future: When car companies can figure out what "a customer" is drawn to from a styling perspective, their MSRP will be dynamically adjusted in real time.

The person who prefers the look of the S4 will see a higher MSRP than that same person will see the S5. Currently, the market will bear higher prices (overall) for vehicles deemed "the prettiest" by the focus group(s) interrogated during the styling's development.

In my case, were I to configure the A7 like my friend's A6 -- it would be a no-brainer to go for the S6 instead. At least there is a real difference between the A6 and S6, which just isn't the case with the A6 A7 dichotomy, unless you are a "slave to fashion."

BTW, if you think the S5 is materially different and worth more (content wise) than the S4, you are correct, because perception is reality.

Just forgive me for not seeing the differences that -- barring no cash in the glove compartment -- have encouraged the mfgr to charge thousands more for a fraternal twin.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:02 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

That said, the Sportback does have a few extra perks that would cost more in manufacturing, such as the power liftgate, and power sunroof shade. There are also some small fit and finish items that are slightly better on the S5 series, such as the small storage box on the dash left of the steering wheel - it's dampered on the S5 types and not the S4.

I imagine there are several other small tweaks to give more value to the car than meets the eye. I think most of the price is still styling though.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it odd the Sportback's are $200 cheaper than the sister coupes. With 2 more doors & a hatch, they must cost more to build. That leads me to believe the price premium for the coupe is pure style. I'd love a Sportback - that's only partially true, I'd really like an Avant - but the S4 value & room seal the deal for me.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:45 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
I'd love a Sportback - that's only partially true, I'd really like an Avant
No kidding. I would have paid the extra $3k+ for that. I would have even been ok with an allroad with the new V6 in it. I test drove one and nearly pulled the trigger, but I knew I wanted that sweet V6 and would not be satisfied with less.

We can hope that the American thirst for crossovers gives success to the various Sportback / Gran Coupe models and in a generation or so we see the Avants come over here at last. I really plan on keeping this S4 for quite awhile, but the arrival of avants (S4/S6) would be the one thing that could open up the wallet much sooner than expected.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also am leaning toward S4 over S5 SB. I haven't actually seen an SB in person yet and will let that be the final decider. But along with the slight leg/head room reduction in SB and slightly higher price tag, there are a few other small things I don't like. I'm not a fan of frameless windows on the doors (which is why SB isn't available with dual pane front windows). I think windows without frames aren't as 'high quality' of a finish. I'm also not a fan of the sunroof that looks like a board strapped on top of the car when open. Also, I'm thinking that since roof racks are not offered as a port option, putting one on a SB may not be possible (but I'll have to confirm that).

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the sportback and may feel like I have to change my mind when I see it. But for now, I am in the S4 camp.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
I find it odd the Sportback's are $200 cheaper than the sister coupes. With 2 more doors & a hatch, they must cost more to build. That leads me to believe the price premium for the coupe is pure style. I'd love a Sportback - that's only partially true, I'd really like an Avant - but the S4 value & room seal the deal for me.
From what I've read, they are discounted in the US because Audi America really wants them to sell over the coupe. If it does, you could see the coupe die out down the road. In fact, KIA (who has Audi's old head designer) said they are done with coupes because no one wants/buys them & the same could hold true IF the sportback sells better then the coupe.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhbrew
I also am leaning toward S4 over S5 SB. I haven't actually seen an SB in person yet and will let that be the final decider. But along with the slight leg/head room reduction in SB and slightly higher price tag, there are a few other small things I don't like. I'm not a fan of frameless windows on the doors (which is why SB isn't available with dual pane front windows). I think windows without frames aren't as 'high quality' of a finish. I'm also not a fan of the sunroof that looks like a board strapped on top of the car when open. Also, I'm thinking that since roof racks are not offered as a port option, putting one on a SB may not be possible (but I'll have to confirm that).

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the sportback and may feel like I have to change my mind when I see it. But for now, I am in the S4 camp.
I've seen it in person & it's REALLY NICE, but I have to say, it doesn't look any different in most cars on the road (Kia Optima, Ford Fusion, etc). I saw it next to an S4 and I have to say, I liked the S4 positioning/stance better.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan-S5
I've seen it in person & it's REALLY NICE, but I have to say, it doesn't look any different in most cars on the road (Kia Optima, Ford Fusion, etc). I saw it next to an S4 and I have to say, I liked the S4 positioning/stance better.
i was also going to say that I'm seeing a lot of 'sport backs' lately from Kia, Ford, Chevy, Honda, and others. I know lots of sedans are out there too, but the S4 has a differentiated look that I like. When I finally see an S5 SB, I'll have to see how different/better it looks than the other SBs out there. I'm sure it's beautiful but it makes me want it a little less now that everyone seems to have a sport back out now.

Quick Reply: S4 vs S5