S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Is there any way to change the color of interior ambient lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any way to change the color of interior ambient lighting?

Just got in a new 2018 Daytona Grey S4, was messing around with the settings and found out there was no way to change the interior LED lighting color, only the brightness of the white LED. I am assuming there is no way to magically get the lights to change colors, so wondering what my options are for aftermarket stuff. I'm thinking of some sort of transparent colored tape to put on the LEDs that are in the door and under the center console/cupholders. Has anyone tried something like this?
Old 04-30-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by atag012
Just got in a new 2018 Daytona Grey S4, was messing around with the settings and found out there was no way to change the interior LED lighting color, only the brightness of the white LED. I am assuming there is no way to magically get the lights to change colors, so wondering what my options are for aftermarket stuff. I'm thinking of some sort of transparent colored tape to put on the LEDs that are in the door and under the center console/cupholders. Has anyone tried something like this?
You can only change the color if your car has the Prestige Package. I am guessing that your car does not have it (you would have the heads up display in the windshield if it does) and that is why you do not see the option in the vehicle settings to change the color.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For non-prestige models (like mine), the manual states that it changes given the driving mode you're in. It's not the 30-color option of the prestige model, but I think if you're in dynamic it turns red from white.

Give that a try. Also, in your manual go to the index and search ambient lighting and that page will outline it for you.

Originally Posted by atag012
Old 05-01-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

As far as I can tell, the previous answers regarding Prestige version vs P+ are correct -- only the Prestige can change the interior colors.

Now, then, when I was "tuning" my car to my (current) preferences, I only saw:

White
Red 1
Red 2 (sport)
Blue

The color scheme can be mapped to Audi Drive Select. My assumption is that in Dynamic mode, Sport red is the color du jour.

I have found no option for 30 colors -- where is that to be found (assuming there are 30 choices, that is)?

There is a choice, as I recall, which is called "impulse" -- it does NOT "pulse" with the audio (music does NOT make the colors change or glow with varying intensities).

I set mine first to blue -- now I have it set to red to match the stitching on the floor mats and steering wheel. There is still a white light "bar" above the in-door speaker.

The coolest thing (for me, your mileage may vary) is the Audi Beam Rings -- open the door (in anything other than brilliant sunlight) and the "puddle lights" project the four intertwined Audi Rings on the ground or floor.

Very cool.

If you care about the beam rings, they are now available from the parts department. You can also get, instead of rings, the beam to project "quattro."

Also very cool.

It's always the little things that bring a smile to owner's faces. . . You may not care for such "cosmetic" touches, but there is probably something that impresses the stuffing out of you.

Another [little] thing, the front seat bolster "deflates" upon exit and re-inflates when you get back into the car (the concept is to make ingress and egress easier AND to reduce "scrub wear" on the bolsters.)
Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mark,
I feel pretty confident that your screen must not match this one, but this is what I found a week or so ago when researching the color change topic.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Is this a screen shot from YOUR car -- mine has discrete options, not continuously variable like your screen grab shows.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Is this a screen shot from YOUR car -- mine has discrete options, not continuously variable like your screen grab shows.
The above video is of Canadian 2017 A4 Technik, which I believe is similar to US Prestige package and includes "Ambient interior lighting package with custom colour selection".
Old 05-01-2017, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
No, that's not my car and that's not a screen grab. It is a video. (starting 50 seconds in, I hope). For what is is worth, I pasted a youtube URL and it got parsed into an embedded video.

Edit: Nope, 50s starting point got ignored, so skip to 50 seconds in to save yourself some time you will never get back.

Last edited by Talbot; 05-01-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hope we're not about to learn that the US 2018 S4 model got de-contented of that feature.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since it hasn't been said yet, are you SURE you have the Prestige model? Do you have a HUD (easiest way to tell)? If not, they may have just left the software interface on the Premium Plus, but the LED system is different (not variable).

Quick Reply: Is there any way to change the color of interior ambient lighting?