S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Three weeks with the new S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Please describe these wheels: Audi option? Aftermarket? Sizes avail -- or, point us to a URL to get more info about them. Your S4 is beautiful x3 (or x10!)

I highly agree with your comments. I would like an MMI setting called "stealth" -- because there are times when I think the S4 does not provide ample isolation from the engine/exhaust sounds. There were four of us in the car yesterday and the sound of the exhaust was just a bit too much for conversation. Mine, like yours, is Prestige and I had set the ADS for "comfort" in an effort to quiet the exhaust sounds. Frankly, I wonder how much quieter REAR dual pane windows would make the thing. I have replaced the tires already (at less than 9K miles) with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which are quieter than the OEM Pirelli P7's, but I'd love the ability to have dynamic mode be sporty (i.e., louder) and comfort mode to be A8 quiet. This S4 is quiet, but I still find the exhaust note intrusive under situations I call "full house." Perhaps noise canceling tech could be deployed.

I'd also like the heads-up display to be customizable in the MMI to add/subtract/change what is seen in the HUD.

Also, getting the S4 without the virtual cockpit makes no sense -- even if the central tach/speedo is set and forgot. The virtual cockpit is a huge step forward. It sounds, almost, like the OP would have preferred the last B8 S4 (which could have had the stick-shift) over this B9.

This S4 is the best Audi (of 33) I've ever had -- it is also the best car I've ever had. At this price, with this content (Prestige + DAP + upgraded leather), despite some of my minor, minor critical comments, above, nothing I've test driven (and I've driven virtually everything that claims to compete) even comes close.

Again, beautiful S4 -- love your (and my) red seats, too.
You guys make good points.......I guess I am still getting accustomed to the car. To me, I like my cars to be fast, reliable, visceral and somewhat good looking. My preference for sticks just goes back to the fact that I am 66, and have been driving stick forever. When people ask me why that is, I usually reply that when driving auto, the car drives you, when driving stick, YOU drive the car. I just highly enjoy controlling the car through the clutch, gearbox, etc. I realize that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find even the classic sports cars with stick (think Ferrari, Porsche, etc.), and I of course realize that there is simply no, or very little, take rate for cars equipped with a stick. Contrary to how it may sound, I am not a dinosaur, but I feel that a somewhat high HP and TQ car should sound the part, and I think we all can agree that this model, re the sound, anyway, for better or for worse, has been somewhat dumb downed over the previous model.

If some of my experiences with these early attempts on the road to autonomous cars is any indication (Pretense, in particular), I will rue the day when they arrive. To me, driving the right car, under the right circumstances, is still an enjoyable pastime, and I just feel that whatever can be done to enhance that, I am all for. Am I in love with this car, no. Do I like this car, absolutely!

And DBuxton, that is indeed a beautifully set up car.........
Old 12-12-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Please describe these wheels: Audi option? Aftermarket? Sizes avail -- or, point us to a URL to get more info about them. Your S4 is beautiful x3 (or x10!)

Also, getting the S4 without the virtual cockpit makes no sense -- even if the central tach/speedo is set and forgot. The virtual cockpit is a huge step forward. It sounds, almost, like the OP would have preferred the last B8 S4 (which could have had the stick-shift) over this B9.

Again, beautiful S4 -- love your (and my) red seats, too.
Why does it make no sense? What do you get in the VC that is a HUGE step forward?

I can have my nav map on the center MMI screen vs between the gauges. All the other features like car data/mpg/radio/Sirius/phone/contacts are on the LCD screen between the analog gauges.

Anything else like the car setup options are on the main center MMI screen. I use Apple CarPlay for my Nav/Music and it works great.

You'll never convince me it's a huge step forward because from my experience and asking a bunch of car reviewers (not owners who might be biased) it's not.

But like anything, to each there own. I'm glad you love it. Enjoy it. It's your S4!

Also those wheels he got look like replicas of the S4 options in Germany. Germany always gets the better stuff.

Last edited by Spartan-S4; 12-12-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A common reply to people INSIST on having stick shift vehicles, is "you're not THAT good".

The joke is that most auto transmissions (and integrated ECU / traction control systems) can shift faster and more efficiently
than the old style stick shifters. This is particularly true for DCT systems; Audi being good, and the Porsche Systems being the defacto
high standard for the auto world.
I too grew up driving sticks, and owning several in my adult life.
With auto rev-matching, and more aggressive programming in these cars, you can (and I did) literally drive these cars in automatic mode on the track
and have more control over the car and how it behaves than trying to override the system, and shifting manually.

personally, i think it's the best of both worlds: i get more control over how I want to drive, but I can always throw it in D/S and not be bothered.
If you live in a city with ANY traffic whatsoever, a manual shifter is MURDER on the left leg - and your patience.
I drove a manual in Atlanta traffic for nearly 10 years. I am qualified to make that statement!

gr
Old 12-12-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
A common reply to people INSIST on having stick shift vehicles, is "you're not THAT good".

The joke is that most auto transmissions (and integrated ECU / traction control systems) can shift faster and more efficiently
than the old style stick shifters. This is particularly true for DCT systems; Audi being good, and the Porsche Systems being the defacto
high standard for the auto world.
I too grew up driving sticks, and owning several in my adult life.
With auto rev-matching, and more aggressive programming in these cars, you can (and I did) literally drive these cars in automatic mode on the track
and have more control over the car and how it behaves than trying to override the system, and shifting manually.

personally, i think it's the best of both worlds: i get more control over how I want to drive, but I can always throw it in D/S and not be bothered.
If you live in a city with ANY traffic whatsoever, a manual shifter is MURDER on the left leg - and your patience.
I drove a manual in Atlanta traffic for nearly 10 years. I am qualified to make that statement!

gr
I live in LA so I most definitely get it.....I guess the answer is to get TWO cars, one manual, one stick......
Old 12-12-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by socalchs
I live in LA so I most definitely get it.....I guess the answer is to get TWO cars, one manual, one stick......
Just get the auto in the '18 S4. You won't regret it.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Spartan-S4
Why does it make no sense? What do you get in the VC that is a HUGE step forward?

I can have my nav map on the center MMI screen vs between the gauges. All the other features like car data/mpg/radio/Sirius/phone/contacts are on the LCD screen between the analog gauges.

Anything else like the car setup options are on the main center MMI screen. I use Apple CarPlay for my Nav/Music and it works great.

You'll never convince me it's a huge step forward because from my experience and asking a bunch of car reviewers (not owners who might be biased) it's not.

But like anything, to each there own. I'm glad you love it. Enjoy it. It's your S4!

Also those wheels he got look like replicas of the S4 options in Germany. Germany always gets the better stuff.
Agree the VC is a huge step forward, but I still did not get it. I like needles (on the dashboard, not in the arm) and thought the VC a bit gimmicky, but certainly would not begrudge anyone that has it.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just get the auto in the '18 S4. You won't regret it.
I did.....
Old 12-12-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I tend to agreed that VC is not a must-have or even a huge step forward, one benefit to having VC--and this is the benefit that really sold me on it--is the ability to display CarPlay (or Android Auto) simultaneously with content from MMI. I like using CarPlay for media playback, both for music and podcasts, with MMI for navigation. And although you can certainly switch back and forth on the center screen between Apple Maps and media playback, or between CarPlay and MMI navigation, I find it very convenient to keep CarPlay up and running on the center screen and MMI navigation on VC. I find this to be the best of both worlds for anyone that uses both CarPlay and MMI on a regular basis. Although you can do all of this without VC, I found the screen on the analog setup to be too small to be as effective.

Last edited by daniel1113; 12-12-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with comments on VC and Apple Carplay. I love it, and never gave it a second thought.
I liked google maps too, while I still had my trial offer of connectivity. But the cost of that connection is EXCRUTIATING.
I am truly hoping that Audi lowers the price of this in the future, to say, closer to something thats fair and reasonable.

I personally, LOVE the AUDI MMI app on my phone that gives me access to traffic, parking location, car telemetry, and remote access to lock and roll down windows.
Not to mention the ability to send Map destinations TO the car from your phone or computer.
However -- only when you pay the tollmaster his INSANE fee. $500 for 18mo?? Screw you. Seriously.

Rumor on the street is that 19+ models will NOT have Google maps, and instead use something called "HERE", with Google maps support in older models being dropped entirely
by 2020.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:33 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
Rumor on the street is that 19+ models will NOT have Google maps, and instead use something called "HERE", with Google maps support in older models being dropped entirely
by 2020.
Edit: It used to say ending 2017, now 2020 for MY18 and earlier.
Navigation & online services
Online services are subject to change at any time. Google Earth™ features will not be available after December 2020 for Model Year 2018 and previous Model Year vehicles. “Google Earth” is a trademark of Google Inc.

Last edited by aj6; 12-12-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Three weeks with the new S4