S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Torn between 2017 A4 and 2018 S4

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn between 2017 A4 and 2018 S4

Hi everyone! I'm excited to say that I'm ready to purchase my first Audi, which I've been dreaming of for years! I am having a really tough time deciding between a used 2017 A4 or a used 2018 S4. I have done my research, read numerous posts, and watched so many videos, so I understand the differences between the two cars. I have also test driven them both back to back, and was pretty impressed by the A4, which I drove first, but then I couldn't wipe the smile off my face when driving the S4. Here is a little info that needs to be considered for making my decision. I drive about 30 miles each way to and from work (all highway driving), so I want something practical in terms of good fuel economy, which is why I lean towards the A4. On the other hand, I spend a LOT of time driving (50 minutes each way), so I also want my car to be fun and exciting to drive, which is why I lean towards the S4. Financially, I am able to afford the S4, so why not splurge and get it, right? In the posts that I've read about this topic, most people say get the S4, no doubt about it. I'm just wondering if I will really NEED the S4 and all it's power, considering that I live in the city and do mostly highway driving. I guess I like the option of having all the power and performance of the S4, should I ever need it.

I'm just afraid of "settling" for the A4. Will it be fun enough, or will I regret not getting the S4? The S4 would be about $250 more per month than the A4, not to mention the higher maintenance costs when the time comes. Is it worth it?? I'm planning to keep the car for a long time, so I want to be sure that I make the right decision. My husband doesn't have any hesitation and says to get the S4. I'm not sure why I'm making this such a difficult decision! Any insight would be appreciated!

Also, the exhaust on the S4 sounds amazing, but does the sound of it ever get on your nerves while driving it every day?
Old 03-08-2018, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

The sound does not get on my nerves. The cabin is impeccably quiet when driven in Comfort Mode (valves in the exhaust tips close to quiet the drone).

I own an 18 S4, but I have driven the 17 A4 extensively both as rentals and as service loaners. I find it to be -- if I am being perfectly honest -- the better, easier, and far more economical car to own car for city driving/living -- but it is easy to find the limit of the A4's engine and suspension with my driving style. The S4, not so much. And that is why I bought it. No regrets.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had this conversation with my wife plenty of times. She'd ask me - "Why do you need something to go so fast that you're breaking the speed limit and breaking the law? What's so fun with that?" It wasn't until we test drove the S4 for the first time and she was pedal to floor on it. lol.

Easily put, you want a car that you can totally enjoy and have fun with once you're in open straights (taking the risk of the hiding cop, of course). It's why to this day, I can't believe anyone would subject themselves to driving a Prius. That being said, I also test drove the A5 SB and found it surprisingly fun to drive too. I was totally in your spot. I ended up getting the S4 mainly for its performance, the handling was just spot on, and in a bit of vanity, it's rarer than an A5 or A4.

So think of it this way, if you go with the A4, and you're doing your commute, how much extra would you pay in order to get that feeling of the S4 again, and would that difference really justify the actual price of the car? With the new job I have, I would have killed to have gone Prestige and get the car maxed out. That being said, at the time, the S4 was a spot on grab, even at Premium Plus. I'm not missing the A5 at all.

But then I see an SQ5 and I get the thinking ...

Nevertheless, welcome aboard and hope your chase of the purchase goes well!

Last edited by alex6speed; 03-08-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's your drive like? Would you actually be able to enjoy the power and handling of the S4?

I own a B8 S4 and when it's on the highway, 98% of the time, an A4 would be exactly as good. Every once in a while I get a chance to pop down to 3rd gear to pass someone and giggle over the V6 power, or I take a corner and speed and enjoy the way the sports diff makes the car feel like it's on rails, but those are exceptions. I feel the car more when I'm off the highway, especially on rural roads, or old areas that were laid out to follow the countryside instead of a grid. Then, even if I can't really explore the car's limits, I can feel the full benefits of the diff and the sports suspension at work.

I guess the final reason to get the S4 is just regret minimization. If you buy the A4, then you'll periodically have a moment when you stomp it or hustle it around the corner and think, "I wish this was an S4." If you buy the S4, you may find yourself thinking about all the things you could have done with that money instead. Which worries you more?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by krenda18
Hi everyone! I'm excited to say that I'm ready to purchase my first Audi, which I've been dreaming of for years! I am having a really tough time deciding between a used 2017 A4 or a used 2018 S4. I have done my research, read numerous posts, and watched so many videos, so I understand the differences between the two cars. I have also test driven them both back to back, and was pretty impressed by the A4, which I drove first, but then I couldn't wipe the smile off my face when driving the S4. Here is a little info that needs to be considered for making my decision. I drive about 30 miles each way to and from work (all highway driving), so I want something practical in terms of good fuel economy, which is why I lean towards the A4. On the other hand, I spend a LOT of time driving (50 minutes each way), so I also want my car to be fun and exciting to drive, which is why I lean towards the S4. Financially, I am able to afford the S4, so why not splurge and get it, right? In the posts that I've read about this topic, most people say get the S4, no doubt about it. I'm just wondering if I will really NEED the S4 and all it's power, considering that I live in the city and do mostly highway driving. I guess I like the option of having all the power and performance of the S4, should I ever need it.

I'm just afraid of "settling" for the A4. Will it be fun enough, or will I regret not getting the S4? The S4 would be about $250 more per month than the A4, not to mention the higher maintenance costs when the time comes. Is it worth it?? I'm planning to keep the car for a long time, so I want to be sure that I make the right decision. My husband doesn't have any hesitation and says to get the S4. I'm not sure why I'm making this such a difficult decision! Any insight would be appreciated!

Also, the exhaust on the S4 sounds amazing, but does the sound of it ever get on your nerves while driving it every day?
Wow--what a great problem to have! I actually traded in a Prius to get my S4 LOL, so I understand what it's like to go from one extreme to the other. My uncle gave me some sound advice many years ago. In the context of being able to afford what you desire, he said "never buy something less expensive, when you can put more money out there and get what you really want." If you get the A, each time you see an S4 you are going to say "dang it." This is a no brainer really. Although the car does accelerate extremely quickly with tons of power, I routinely get 32 mpg highway taking it easy, and from the safety standpoint the thing is on rails and stops on a dime. But, a word of caution--you have to be disciplined and avoid the "racing" temptations. Punch it and the car is going 125 mph in a hurry. As for the exhaust sound--one of the selectors for the suspension and transmission is "individual" where you can have everything in sport mode except the exhaust--when the exhaust gets on your nerves. Good luck!

Last edited by ClemsonAudi; 03-08-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: fix
Old 03-08-2018, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

A maxed out Prestige (with Sport Package) A4 vs a stripped P+ S4 would -- for me -- make the decision lean much more toward the A4. We have temporary custody of a 2018 Premium Q5 with the navigation package (whatever that's called) and 19" wheels. Everything else is whatever the standard stuff is: The standard sound system (which is Sucks+), no Audi side assist, no heads-up display, and overall a nice car, but really vanilla.

My wife is used to her SQ5 -- and she says she misses the power of the S's engine, but she likes the DSG transmission of the Q5 better, yet she really misses the safety and technology features she has on her S. I'm starting to think the Prestige A4 with a sport package would be the more long-term choice -- if the S4 was "bare bones." Does either one have the DAP package?
Old 03-08-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by krenda18
... but then I couldn't wipe the smile off my face when driving the S4. ...
Get the one that makes you smile.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
That ^
Old 03-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=alex6speed;25121221 and in a bit of vanity, it's rarer than an A5 or A4.

So think of it this way, if you go with the A4, and you're doing your commute, how much extra would you pay in order to get that feeling of the S4 again, and would that difference really justify the actual price of the car?
But then I see an SQ5 and I get the thinking ...

[/QUOTE]

I definitely like the idea of having an S4, and being a part of a smaller, more exclusive group of owners. You see A4s every day, but seeing an S4 is more rare, so it's a bigger deal when you see one. Also, whichever car I decide on, it HAS to be Tango Red Metallic 😃
Old 03-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Love this! I should just keep it simple and get the S4

Quick Reply: Torn between 2017 A4 and 2018 S4