S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Torn between 2017 A4 and 2018 S4

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by alex6speed
aren't the speed governors from Audi based off the wheel size?
Governor speed is only lowered if you get the all season tires on the 18's.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife is tired of me always telling her that there's only one thing wrong with my Q5 3.0T. And that one thing is that it's not a SQ5.

If you can afford it, get the S4. The S4 is only $10K more than a A4, which is not that much percentage wise.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
FWIW, I had an ‘17 A4 PP, as a loaner when I took my ‘15 A5 in for its last audicare service before turn in. Was really impressed by its quickness and road manner, especially at passing. So much so, that I began thinking the S4 I ordered and due in next week was going to be overkill- too late now, and I’m sure I’ll adjust, but either way you’ll have a fine car. I’m pretty sure the s4 is going to cost more all around- financing, gas, insurance, yet I probably wont be able to use its full potential very much, at least without loosing my license.
That's very helpful to know that you enjoyed the A4 so much. When I think about what I want at the end of the day, I'm not looking for a sport/performance car. I just want something that's enjoyable and makes me happy. I'm worried that the S4 would be overkill too, especially since I'll never be able to test the limits or enjoy fully the S4's performance, also given that I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and don't drive on windy, country roads much. I go back and forth!
Old 03-09-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by krenda18
That's very helpful to know that you enjoyed the A4 so much. When I think about what I want at the end of the day, I'm not looking for a sport/performance car. I just want something that's enjoyable and makes me happy. I'm worried that the S4 would be overkill too, especially since I'll never be able to test the limits or enjoy fully the S4's performance, also given that I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and don't drive on windy, country roads much. I go back and forth!
I had a B6 V8 S4 and the miles were getting high; on top of that, I started having a few issues which were annoying and because I was doing a fair bit of driving for work, I decided I should replace it. My dealer had a new B8.5 A4 with the MT6 and the Competition Plus Package in Sepang blue with Alcantera sport seats on the showroom floor. I thought I don't need the S4 power, I'll save $10K and I have 85% of an S4 if I get the A4 - wine/win/win. Fast forward 3 years later... I turned in my A4, got a B9 S4 and haven't stopped smiling. I missed the S4 and should not have settled for the A4 3 years ago. More usable power (low end torque), bigger brakes and the sports diff is amazing if you ever push it. Plus the new 8 speed auto is a great tranny and this is coming from a guy that between me, my wife and my 2 kids, 4 of the 5 cars in the house were manual transmissions before the B9.

If you can justify the price, the S4 is a great step up and you will enjoy it. If you don't need that level of power, the A4 is more than adequate and you will still be happy.

Vince
Old 03-09-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by alex6speed
Say, Mark ... aren't the speed governors from Audi based off the wheel size? I remember the B8s had some weird thing where 18" wheels had a speed limit of somewhere around 130 MPH, while 19" has some ridiculous speed.
The "governor" (130 MPH) is based on the speed rating of the OEM tires. If you select/elect to get the "all-season" tire option, the top speed of the car (A4 or S4) is limited to 130 MPH. Conversely, if you get the OEM "summer only" tires (wheel size is immaterial) the top speed (which most folks will never even approach) is 155 MPH. The S4 is the car that probably will have the ability to (more) comfortably reach the higher speeds.

I would -- considering the OP's statement about keeping the car a long time (5+ years perhaps?) -- love to see her get an S4 Prestige with the 18" wheels/tires and with DAP. Sedans have become somewhat passé meaning better and better discounts (new or CPO'd, I'd imagine). Also, there are probably some CPO'd Prestige S4's coming to market (there are always people who have the wherewithal to buy an S4 and then 6-9 months later to trade it in on something else). To get one of these (A4 based) cars and keep it for, say, 6 years WITHOUT DAP, would seem to be an invitation for some dissatisfaction and would make the car less attractive once she decided to trade it or sell it. One of these cars without the VC, too, would be, likewise, an invitation for some cognitive dissonance.

Those of us posting and "lurking" here are very likely to be very biased toward the S4 (which is not meaning it is a bad thing to be thus). However, the OP wanted some information that would help her make a decision. She, like us, can afford the S4 -- but she seemed to question if it might be "overkill" for her circumstances. It is an accurate statement that it would be possible to get a totally decked out A4 (new) for $10,000 less than a similarly equipped S4.

I'd go with the S4 without hesitation. However, I'm not the OP (duh) and offering up a fully loaded A4 vs. a somewhat "stripped" S4 seemed like a reasonable configuration for comparison and evaluation. I would, given the first post go with the loaded A4 (assuming that is actually the case) vs a lower contented S4.

Given my (our) situation, I (we, here) have probably decided that an S4 is the easy choice because life is too short to forego the pure rush and pleasure of driving the S4 (Prestige).

Both my wife and I ordered our S4 and SQ5 with summer only tires and then around 10K (8,500 in my case) switched over to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. We probably got rid of the OEM tires a few months too early (but with the cold weather coming on and the sale on the tires as Costco, we decided to make the switch a bit early).

The original OP may not have the choices available to her that another customer would have when ordering the car configured EXACTLY as she wanted, she may have to take whatever is "on the lot" considering that she is -- apparently -- looking at CPO'd Audis.

To the OP: If you can justify (other than financially, since I would imagine you have the wherewithal to actually buy a new one) or rationalize getting a new one, that would be my suggestion, and I would strongly consider an S4.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Fair warning: I've been sick in bed with a bad flu for more than a week now, so I'm grumpy. And bored.

Since 1998, I've owned seven Audis. Not as many as some, more than most around here. I used to drive on the track, became instructor for NCRC and the Audi Club. Good times. Half a year after I got my then-new B8 I sustained a neck/brain injury that almost killed me and that makes it let's say highly unlikely that I'll ever do as much as go-karting ever again. At the same time I got a job at a company that made my commute long and torturous. So I added a Ford Focus Electric to the garage, because it allowed me to get into the carpool lane here in CA.

From that day on, wife's A6 Avant was the long distance car (camping trips, skiing) and the Focus went everywhere else, because it was basically "free" to operate, and quite honestly much more fun to drive than even the S4. Instant torque - even limited - at any speed, without any lag, is highly addictive. It feels completely retarded to be driving something with a transmission once you've been going around even for just a week in a car with instant torque.

My wife was always giving me **** that I still had the B8 and never drove it. As a matter of fact, 90% of the miles on the car were driven by others. Two of my friends borrowed the car for months at a time when they needed a car. It was a good loaner car, they all agreed. With the FFE lease up, I got the B-Class electric for my commute. The B8 and C6 stayed, to my wife's dismay. She could not understand why I would keep a car that reminded me of good days past. To me as long as I had Pot, I had a chance to return to the track.

One day I got the brand new B9 A4 service loaner. I was blown away by how smooth, powerful, refined the car was - and super efficient. I cooked up a plan to get rid of both the B8 and C6 and to get a new B9 Allroad for the wife, thus addressing one of her concerns - getting rid of the useless B8. I sold the B8 and ordered a beautiful red Allroad for her. Then suddenly she reconsidered, said that she wants a small electric car and that I should get whatever I wanted instead. So I canceled the Allroad and altered the order to the S4. I did do a quick test drive, mainly focusing on the gas mileage, after the fiascos of the B7 and B8. Clearly I didn't do my homework.

The S4 is a wonderful car that gets completely destroyed by the transmission. It's a complete disgrace. I was completely in love with the loaner A4's engine (powerful enough, very efficient) and transmission (predictable, crisp). On the other hand, six months in, I still can't figure out what the S4 tranny will do next. I find my wife's C6 A6 much more pleasant to drive around town because I know precisely, at any time, how much output I'll get from a certain gas pedal press. Granted it's not much, but I spend 99% of the time accelerating from 0-30 in city traffic and not 40-95 at 4000ft in Tahoe. Granted, the latter is fun in the S4, but that was maybe 2h of my S4's entire life.

If I had to do it all over again I'd stick with the original plan and get the Allroad. Better engine and tranny for most applications, far more practical - just a bit dorky with the faux offroad look.The S4 is certainly the car I'm aspiring to drive - 20 years ago I was this young guy going to the track every other weekend - but in reality, what the car is actually being used for is a wholly different one. It's not about "the best you can afford." It's about completely missing if the car fits my needs. Reality smacked me upside down, which is particularly painful since I was given the keys to a new S4 and an invitation to drive it for as long as I wanted.

You know what's even more fun? An electric car. My B-class lease is up, just in time for the new Leaf. It will replace my wife's C6, and she made it very clear that I'll be stuck with my S4. Not looking forward to it.

Last edited by stanj; 03-09-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stanj
Fair warning: I've been sick in bed with a bad flu for more than a week now, so I'm grumpy. And bored.

Since 1998, I've owned seven Audis. Not as many as some, more than most around here. I used to drive on the track, became instructor for NCRC and the Audi Club. Good times. Half a year after I got my then-new B8 I sustained a neck/brain injury that almost killed me and that makes it let's say highly unlikely that I'll ever do as much as go-karting ever again. At the same time I got a job at a company that made my commute long and torturous. So I added a Ford Focus Electric to the garage, because it allowed me to get into the carpool lane here in CA.

From that day on, wife's A6 Avant was the long distance car (camping trips, skiing) and the Focus went everywhere else, because it was basically "free" to operate, and quite honestly much more fun to drive than even the S4. Instant torque - even limited - at any speed, without any lag, is highly addictive. It feels completely retarded to be driving something with a transmission once you've been going around even for just a week in a car with instant torque.

My wife was always giving me **** that I still had the B8 and never drove it. As a matter of fact, 90% of the miles on the car were driven by others. Two of my friends borrowed the car for months at a time when they needed a car. It was a good loaner car, they all agreed. With the FFE lease up, I got the B-Class electric for my commute. The B8 and C6 stayed, to my wife's dismay. She could not understand why I would keep a car that reminded me of good days past. To me as long as I had Pot, I had a chance to return to the track.

One day I got the brand new B9 A4 service loaner. I was blown away by how smooth, powerful, refined the car was - and super efficient. I cooked up a plan to get rid of both the B8 and C6 and to get a new B9 Allroad for the wife, thus addressing one of her concerns - getting rid of the useless B8. I sold the B8 and ordered a beautiful red Allroad for her. Then suddenly she reconsidered, said that she wants a small electric car and that I should get whatever I wanted instead. So I canceled the Allroad and altered the order to the S4. I did do a quick test drive, mainly focusing on the gas mileage, after the fiascos of the B7 and B8. Clearly I didn't do my homework.

The S4 is a wonderful car that gets completely destroyed by the transmission. It's a complete disgrace. I was completely in love with the loaner A4's engine (powerful enough, very efficient) and transmission (predictable, crisp). On the other hand, six months in, I still can't figure out what the S4 tranny will do next. I find my wife's C6 A6 much more pleasant to drive around town because I know precisely, at any time, how much output I'll get from a certain gas pedal press. Granted it's not much, but I spend 99% of the time accelerating from 0-30 in city traffic and not 40-95 at 4000ft in Tahoe. Granted, the latter is fun in the S4, but that was maybe 2h of my S4's entire life.

If I had to do it all over again I'd stick with the original plan and get the Allroad. Better engine and tranny for most applications, far more practical - just a bit dorky with the faux offroad look.The S4 is certainly the car I'm aspiring to drive - 20 years ago I was this young guy going to the track every other weekend - but in reality, what the car is actually being used for is a wholly different one. It's not about "the best you can afford." It's about completely missing if the car fits my needs. Reality smacked me upside down, which is particularly painful since I was given the keys to a new S4 and an invitation to drive it for as long as I wanted.

You know what's even more fun? An electric car. My B-class lease is up, just in time for the new Leaf. It will replace my wife's C6, and she made it very clear that I'll be stuck with my S4. Not looking forward to it.
A bit off topic, but people either love or hate the 8 speed automatic in the B9 S4. I typically drive it in "sport" in town and back to "D" on the highway and I really like it. Again this is coming from a guy that has a house full of stick shift cars.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Beating the carcass of the deceased Equus: At 11,100+ miles on my 2018 S4, it has less than 5 miles on it in "D" -- I drive it in "S" exclusively. When I get to the Interstate, if I have not already, I engage ACC. It runs up to 8th gear with ACC engaged, in "S" -- I actually did like the 7-spd DSG in my 2014 S4 a bit better, but the total overall experience of the 2018 S4 is so solid, so supremely capable, I wouldn't go back. Now, if Audi would put the DSG in the S4, that would be even better. I can dream, can't I?
Old 03-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by m332is
I had a B6 V8 S4 and the miles were getting high; on top of that, I started having a few issues which were annoying and because I was doing a fair bit of driving for work, I decided I should replace it. My dealer had a new B8.5 A4 with the MT6 and the Competition Plus Package in Sepang blue with Alcantera sport seats on the showroom floor. I thought I don't need the S4 power, I'll save $10K and I have 85% of an S4 if I get the A4 - wine/win/win. Fast forward 3 years later... I turned in my A4, got a B9 S4 and haven't stopped smiling. I missed the S4 and should not have settled for the A4 3 years ago. More usable power (low end torque), bigger brakes and the sports diff is amazing if you ever push it. Plus the new 8 speed auto is a great tranny and this is coming from a guy that between me, my wife and my 2 kids, 4 of the 5 cars in the house were manual transmissions before the B9.

If you can justify the price, the S4 is a great step up and you will enjoy it. If you don't need that level of power, the A4 is more than adequate and you will still be happy.

Vince
Maybe I wouldn't feel like I was missing out by getting the A4 since I've never owned an S4, and only test driven once for about 30 minutes. Although I can swing the price of the S4, I don't think I can justify it with myself. I'm don't think I'm that much of a "car person." I keep talking myself out of the S4, and the price is the only thing that is holding me back from getting it. If I honestly was comfortable with it, I'd have an S4 by now! Maybe the A4 is the best decision for me and my situation...
Old 03-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The "governor" (130 MPH) is based on the speed rating of the OEM tires. If you select/elect to get the "all-season" tire option, the top speed of the car (A4 or S4) is limited to 130 MPH. Conversely, if you get the OEM "summer only" tires (wheel size is immaterial) the top speed (which most folks will never even approach) is 155 MPH. The S4 is the car that probably will have the ability to (more) comfortably reach the higher speeds.

I would -- considering the OP's statement about keeping the car a long time (5+ years perhaps?) -- love to see her get an S4 Prestige with the 18" wheels/tires and with DAP. Sedans have become somewhat passé meaning better and better discounts (new or CPO'd, I'd imagine). Also, there are probably some CPO'd Prestige S4's coming to market (there are always people who have the wherewithal to buy an S4 and then 6-9 months later to trade it in on something else). To get one of these (A4 based) cars and keep it for, say, 6 years WITHOUT DAP, would seem to be an invitation for some dissatisfaction and would make the car less attractive once she decided to trade it or sell it. One of these cars without the VC, too, would be, likewise, an invitation for some cognitive dissonance.

Those of us posting and "lurking" here are very likely to be very biased toward the S4 (which is not meaning it is a bad thing to be thus). However, the OP wanted some information that would help her make a decision. She, like us, can afford the S4 -- but she seemed to question if it might be "overkill" for her circumstances. It is an accurate statement that it would be possible to get a totally decked out A4 (new) for $10,000 less than a similarly equipped S4.

I'd go with the S4 without hesitation. However, I'm not the OP (duh) and offering up a fully loaded A4 vs. a somewhat "stripped" S4 seemed like a reasonable configuration for comparison and evaluation. I would, given the first post go with the loaded A4 (assuming that is actually the case) vs a lower contented S4.

Given my (our) situation, I (we, here) have probably decided that an S4 is the easy choice because life is too short to forego the pure rush and pleasure of driving the S4 (Prestige).

Both my wife and I ordered our S4 and SQ5 with summer only tires and then around 10K (8,500 in my case) switched over to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. We probably got rid of the OEM tires a few months too early (but with the cold weather coming on and the sale on the tires as Costco, we decided to make the switch a bit early).

The original OP may not have the choices available to her that another customer would have when ordering the car configured EXACTLY as she wanted, she may have to take whatever is "on the lot" considering that she is -- apparently -- looking at CPO'd Audis.

To the OP: If you can justify (other than financially, since I would imagine you have the wherewithal to actually buy a new one) or rationalize getting a new one, that would be my suggestion, and I would strongly consider an S4.
I've considered building my own brand new S4, but I don't think I'm 100% comfortable with the price doing that. I am limited in the options available because I'm looking at CPOs. Since the Tango Red Metallic color is more rare than blacks and whites, I'm going to have to buy out of state. I have the model that I'm looking at, priced at $37,000 with the specs I mentioned in a previous post. The price of the S4 that I'm looking at is $52,000, so it's quite a big difference, and I'm not sure it will be worth it for me and my situation. My other option is the wait a few more months until more CPO S4s become available, but they'll still likely be at least $10,000 more than the A4. But I'm impatient and have been waiting over a year already, and I don't really want to wait any longer.

Quick Reply: Torn between 2017 A4 and 2018 S4