S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Touch Up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Touch Up Paint

Anybody had any reasonable success touching up rock chips on the hood and frontal area??
Hate to say it, but in 1+ year and 15k miles, the front of my car is a mess.

Heading to the dealership, and wondering if I should buy the OEM version, or look elsewhere for a better solution?
Not a big fan of the "pen" style applicator.

If anybody has a good suggestion, I'm all ears.

Oh, Factory Mythos Black on mine, btw.

Thanks,
gr
Old 08-08-2018, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried using the touch up pen and clear, from the dealer. I was very unsuccessful. I spent hours, with many different techniques, but everything stood out more than the chips themselves. I asked a local shop what they use, and was told Dr. ColorChip. I didn't end up trying it though, as i was getting Xpel applied the following day. The shop I had apply the film was able to work some slight magic before covering them. They are now not as noticeable. My experience with the OEM pens was not great. Maybe someone here has tried the Dr. ColorChip. Good luck!

Edit: My chips are actually in the clear coat, but I think the results would be the same.

Last edited by mlewisii; 08-08-2018 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To my knowledge the US Audi dealers no longer sell touch up paint (unless they mix it themselves). I had to resort to OEM from Germany and import my touch up (Glacier White). If they do sell it, it was added back in very recently.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's what I purchased. It's been a while so my exact auction has expired, but he still sells most of the colors on eBay....No pens, just a small brush with separate paint and clearcoat. I wipe a little off the brush on to the end of a toothpick and fill that way. It gives much more control on how much paint is applied and where it goes.

Last edited by BryanB8.5; 08-08-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got mine from my local dealership, for $18. The kit includes a paint pen and a clear coat pen. I tried using the pens first, then I tried a toothpick, and even a needle. I prepped the surface properly, and even taped off everything but the chips. Nothing looked good. I also tried just paint, just clear, and a mix of both, all of which I saw suggested on various sites.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BryanB8.5
Here's what I purchased. It's been a while so my exact auction has expired, but he still sells most of the colors on eBay....No pens, just a small brush with separate paint and clearcoat. I wipe a little off the brush on to the end of a toothpick and fill that way. It gives much more control on how much paint is applied and where it goes.

I ordered mine off Amazon, apparently came from Russia or something lol. Took about 2 weeks to come. Had a really nasty rock chip under my passenger side head light that I really couldnt stand. First time using touch up paint as none of my previous cars needed for me to do it but thats a different topic lol. Mine is Glacier White Metallic and the paint seems to be a decent match. Obviously didn't turn out totally perfect but atleast from a distance you cant really tell lol. Id probably recommend buying like a touch up paint kit, something to apply it as these have a brush tip and you dont wanna put too much on or it'll drip/run.