S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Tune options - DTUK Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune options - DTUK Review

Some of this is redundant from my other thread, but I felt it was worth a stand alone thread to specifically discuss tuning options relative to the DTUK box. There was a thread earlier that consisted of much hand wringing about the authenticity of the OP. There wasn't much substance to the actual tune and its results.

Hopefully we can have a dialog about modifications here. Most of what I see is here is very informative for things that live in the manual. But it seems most would much rather debate crap like oil change frequency and the pros and cons of red brake calipers being included in the S Sport package.

Anyway, here goes.

I installed the DTUK box this past weekend. I chose this route over an ECU tune for a few reasons.

1. I am currently leasing the car and am not sure I want the buyout at the end. I really love the car, but who knows what will come out in the next three years that I may love more. RS4 sedan?

2. I wanted something that preserved my warranty. Audi MMI can see ECU tunes and that does void the warranty. This box is installed post ECU and therefor has no residual data logged in MMI. It's also easily removed in about 10 minutes prior to any scheduled service.

3. I have been down the modification pipeline and I just don't feel like dropping a metric ton of money on my cars that I will never get back outside of smiles per gallon. That being said, I don’t plan any mechanical mods, so a tune option was the best for me.

My initial impressions are as follows. I am not in any way affiliated with DTUK. I am only offering my impression and experience both with this box and tuning in general.

My instinct, as usual, is to take the product and turn it all the way up and see if it blows my hair back (what's left of it). So, out of the box I went straight for the most aggressive setting on all three maps (plus 3). It definitely makes a difference. You can feel the additional power and torque. Under full throttle they pull like a madman with the shifts coming firm and on time.

However, I found the gear changes a little choppy under casual driving when set to boost level 3. When using the dynamic transmission setting as well as S mode, you could feel the boost coming on strong and then a shift with no real rev matching. The shifts and acceleration were very notchy. Kind of like a saw blade.

Armed with my butt dyno results I spoke at great length with Andrew from DTUK. He is a wealth of knowledge on both the tuning process DTUK uses as well as the B9 platform as he dailys a B9 S4. Andrew advised that the files are all designed to be used on the present (zero setting), damn they even add a little sticker to the box asking to email them before adjusting the box (oops i forgot to do that). I've now taken what I learned about both the tuning platform and the available maps and settings and am taking the prescribed approach to the product.

After the verbal flogging from Andrew, I turned the boost back to the neutral (0 setting) levels and retested. Andrew would have me tell you emphatically to start conservatively and go up from there. The minus settings are still very quick. I am now on Map 2, boost setting 0. The car was much more composed. The shifts were smooth and the power still very present.

I'll continue working with Andrew to make sure I move correctly through the map progression and settings to get the best results. I also have a dyno test set up in a couple weeks or so to get actual numbers on this car.

I can say, coming from a long tuning and modifying background, that this is probably the best option for a tune for those that are not planning any mechanical modifications like intake, exhaust, downpipe, etc. This runs separate from the ECU and does not break any physical Audi seals.

Name:  uX0jFq3.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  IyjvrOD.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  135.2 KB

Imgur Album Link - Last pic is the engine bay with the box installed.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the box in the picture and where can I buy it?, I will receive my 2018 SQ5 that has the same engine

Thanks!!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Andres Tamez
Where is the box in the picture and where can I buy it?, I will receive my 2018 SQ5 that has the same engine

Thanks!!
Top left corner of the engine compartment in the picture. You can get the box from DTUK.

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/

Their chat support is amazing. They'll get you sorted out.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibu11et
Top left corner of the engine compartment in the picture. You can get the box from DTUK.

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/

Their chat support is amazing. They'll get you sorted out.
Thanks!!!!
Old 08-03-2017, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gtBURN
I did read the review and thank you for the write up...it was very informative. I am also leasing my vehicle and don't want to void the warranty.

Both system are very similar and work the same way without having to flash the ECU.

I was just wondering if there was a reason you picked one over the other? There isn't much information on either so I have been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.
I'm not sure if the Rennsport one was available when I bought my DTUK or not. I reached out to Andrew at DTUK and he sold me on their unit. I am very please with the results and don't regret my decision at all. I also think the DTUK box is slightly cheaper, but I'm not positive on that. You'll have to do your own research as prices change. DTUK offers discounts from time to time. You can mention you read about it on the forum and maybe he'll throw you a bone.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ibu11et
I'm not sure if the Rennsport one was available when I bought my DTUK or not. I reached out to Andrew at DTUK and he sold me on their unit. I am very please with the results and don't regret my decision at all. I also think the DTUK box is slightly cheaper, but I'm not positive on that. You'll have to do your own research as prices change. DTUK offers discounts from time to time. You can mention you read about it on the forum and maybe he'll throw you a bone.
Thanks for the response...I have my credit card in hand...I wish I knew what the better choice was.

Maybe I should buy both
Old 08-03-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gtBURN
Thanks for the response...I have my credit card in hand...I wish I knew what the better choice was.

Maybe I should buy both
Andrew is online quite a bit. I'd go on over and see if the chat is online. Talk to him and see what you think. I only have good things to say about it.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a B9 S5, I'm very tempted by the DTUK tune, how does it compare to TDI's box? What's the day to day driving like when just cruising?
Old 08-08-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by adyzaky
I have a B9 S5, I'm very tempted by the DTUK tune, how does it compare to TDI's box? What's the day to day driving like when just cruising?
I'm not familiar with the TDI box.

The day to day is very drivable once you get use to the throttle feel. If you end up not liking the immediacy of the pedal, I think they sell a pedal modulation controller. I didnt need it though.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting development log.

Quick Reply: Tune options - DTUK Review