S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Tuned! 410hp, Black, Magma Red - Oh yes.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this was a little unexpected. I guess I should have said in rather bold letters that I am not in any way affiliated with DTUK or any manufacturer etc etc.

I'm all for healthy skepticism but I guess I didn't expect it to such a degree here. Allow me to address a few points... the car was ordered on April 24th. It was delayed for 2 weeks at Emden, not 154 years or whatever someone else just said.
To the person who sarcastically said "a whole weeks running in", that equates to 800 miles of progressively more exuberant driving. Don't need to drive like my grandma for the first 6 months, this is 2017 after all...

I also said that "it's quoted as taking the power to 412", I haven't dyno'd it yet, purely through lack of time. And it really does go like hell.

The main point is, I actually wanted to share the news here first among enthusiasts who might appreciate something a little different that not many people have had the chance to do yet. There can be pictures but I figured one black S4 looks the same as all the others and wasn't really my priority. I didn't do it for the keyboard warriors to start calling bull**** and start slating manufacturers of products etc, that they've never even used.

I fully intend to do an in-depth review of the car and tuning combination when I've had the chance to properly test it and compare it's modes and programs so that will be coming soon.

With that said, lighten up, chill out, and go for a drive and enjoy life. Fast.

Joe
Old 07-10-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AverageImpatientJoe
With that said, lighten up, chill out, and go for a drive and enjoy life. Fast.
Done. Now let's get some empirical evidence so us doubters can go spend our money wisely! Hell, who am I kidding? We'll spend our money anyway.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

It was delayed for 2 weeks at Emden, not 154 years or whatever someone else just said. Joe
That someone was actually you. And unfortunately it was one of the things that turned up the skepticism meter.

So the car is very nearly here! It was stuck at the port in Emden for 154 days but it's now at the UK Port awaiting transport to the dealer. Hopefully that won't take too long! Pictures will be following once it has arrived!
Joe
I do hope you are not put off by all this skepticism. I think the community here would love to see some hard numbers on all available tuning options.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

@OP: You gotta understand we all just spent 50 plus stacks on these cars and repair parts aren't even really available yet if we blow them up. That coupled with the trend of social media marketing infiltrating forums = skepticism is to be expected.

You could just go out to the garage and snap a pic of the module installed in your car and it'd put the whole doubter thing to bed, ya know...
Old 07-11-2017, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Why not a contrarian view in this thread?

Ohio is quite flat. Our roads -- especially and primarily the Interstates that I endure on a weekly basis are moon cratered. The good news is there appears to be hundreds of millions of dollars being spent on infrastructure updating. Unfortunately we're STILL at the "time between the parenthesis" so while one lane is being patched, fixed and/or completely redone, what used to be 3 or 4 lanes is -- sometimes for miles -- reduced to 1 or 2 lanes. On top of that, in many locations the speed limit is cut to 45 and "Speeding fines are doubled."

Just as soon as one stretch of highway is completed and reopened, another equally long (in miles) section is closed down for de-cratering, etc. Any kind of wreck, even a fender bender, is cause for traffic to slow its speed even further to single digits. Our Interstates must be the prime route for "WIDE LOADS" meaning 120% of a lane is occupied and -- guess what -- bottlenecks.

One of the reasons I am so frustrated with the ACC Automatic go is 3 seconds before ACC is disengaged is ridiculous. Thirty seconds MIGHT be OK, 60 would be better and I'd shut up -- for now -- if ACC Automatic go would be set at 90 seconds. Tesla's purported "unlimited duration" Automatic go is, for me at least, unnecessary.

OK, hopefully you've got the picture: We have lots of long, flat highways that for a variety of reasons prove uninviting -- restrictive really -- in terms of anything much like zooming (other than brief, sometimes rare fartleks, which of course require intervals of "steady as she goes").

The "completely stock" and fully broken in S4 is very quick (and fast) -- it is able to out accelerate, I'd wager, 95% (even more, probably) of any of the other vehicles likely to be found roaming the above mentioned transportation infrastructure. Sure there are BMW M's, AMG Mercs, Porsche's, Corvettes and some exotics that one may encounter from time to time and some of them are quicker (or they could be if traffic would permit) than the new S4 -- but, as a practical matter, the stock S4 is in very rarefied company.

The point is, where in the world can most of us use even the stock acceleration capabilities of an S4? And, although the car easily strolls along at 100+ MPH, the unobstructed distances where such speeds are both possible and practical (to say nothing of prudent) are quite rare and are, for the foreseeable future, going to remain in limited supply.

The trip from Columbus to Cincinnati on a Sunday late afternoon when the Cincinnati Bengals played in Cleveland is an exercise in setting the ACC at 70 only to find the car is motoring along about 50 for practically the entire 100 mile trek.

I chipped my wife's first TT. The torque unleashed was impressive -- unfortunately so was the turbo lag -- but it was fun. Back then, traffic and road repairs were, compared to today, in their infancy. Fartlek frequency, however, was greater than it is today.

If you live in LA, Chicago, even Indianapolis, not to mention Dallas-Ft. Worth, it is increasingly difficult to enjoy cars even fractionally as capable as a 2018 stock S4.

Having said this, every night I do "say a prayer" for an RS 4 sedan to grace the North American continent -- I must be a masochist.

Modifying -- with the almost certainty of jeopardizing my warranty on a $61,000 car -- my S4 to increase its torque (and HP, too), seems like "cruisin' for a bruisin'"! If no risk to your warranty were part of the bargain, even, the result would be to raise your S4's accelerative and top-speed to what? The top 2.5% of all vehicles you'd ever encounter on the public roads, the top 1.5%? To what end? You'd spend the money, likely toss your warranty aside and find the ability to exercise your new beast moved from rarely to very rarely?

I'll wait for the factory to release an RS 4 -- then at least I can be frustrated with a modicum of peace of mind (insofar as the warranty is concerned.)

It strikes me as odd that people buy a new A4 and immediately open their wallets and spend, sometimes thousands, to create what I would call an AS4. Why not just get the S4 in the first place rather than modify some parts, but not others -- thus raising the specter of breakdowns without the safety blanket of the factory warranty.

Why is it that folks -- speaking of the A4 -- apparently don't pony up for the S4's MSRP, but will buy an A4 and put a ton of cash in it.

Ever see the TV commercial where the person whacks their forehead and exclaims "I coulda had a V8!"

My contrarian perspective having modded and having not modded -- go for the higher up the food chain model from the get go, rather than buying down and attempting to improve it by modding both the crap and the warranty out of it?

Unfortunately, for us and for Audi, there is no -- currently no -- RS 4 sedan. It does seem, however, there is a market for one, even though it is increasingly difficult to find any place to drive cars even with as much capability and potential as a lowly stock 2018 S4.

The word (or phrase) today is: Unintended consequences.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-11-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm with Mark on this one. I struggle every day to contain the power that's under the hood during my normal commute, looking for any opportunity to feel the surge without putting anyone else in danger. Those moment are few and far between. God bless you guys who have uncluttered back canyon roads to play on!

I had once planned on chipping my B8 S4 once I got out of warranty. Never got around to it. I feel no need to tune the B9 (S5SB). It's already got more power than I can typically use.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

It seems two paradigms of ownership are meeting here in this thread. One being the OTS owner (off the shelf) and the other being the Modified crowd. I for one belong to the modified crowd. I've built some pretty serious cars in my lifetime. I understand how systems on these cars all work together. Sometimes adding a part here can take power away there.

It has been my experience that for whatever reason, 99.9% of cars come detuned from the factory. Now I'm not talking about adding a chip here or a piggyback unit there. I'm talking about real engine mapping. Fuel air ratios optimized for the exact location they are being used. Tweaking fuel/air/boost even just a little bit can make a huge difference. Long past are the days Mark is referring to when "chipping" a car meant increased lag just because the chip turned up the boost without taking everything else into account.

I have no doubt that the OP is feeling an across the board increase in performance. Off the shelf tunes are becoming commonplace not only for boy racers, but high end cars as well. Cobb Tuning has been in the business for a number of years now. They started working on Subarus. Then branched into Evos. Now they have Accessports for Porsche, BMW, Nissan, Mazda & VW. They aren't just tuning some crappy 5 year old cars either. We're talking cars worth well over 160-200k. I would trust them implicitly with my S4 should they add it to their lineup.

A talented master tuner can tune just about anything. So the argument that just because a company has diesel in their name, they cant be trusted with your S4 is a bit rubbish. The fact this DTUK company has been around quite a while does give them some clout in my book. I contacted them when the OP first mentioned he was thinking of going with their unit. They were accessible, friendly & knowledgeable. They are based in the UK and have had this spec S4 for over a year now as it was introduced last year in the UK as a 2017 model.

Now as to the argument that this car has enough power as it sits, well that is a very personal belief. Just because you can't see how anyone would need more power doesn't mean there is someone out there who can. Take your hall monitor uniform off for a minute and realize that enthusiasts are always looking for that oneup. Some add aftermarket blackout rings, some wrap the chrome on their trim. Some buy $3000 wheels. I add K&N filters, custom tuning, aftermarket exhaust, extrude honed intakes, bigger turbos, custom shift mapping, add to this list ad infinitum.

Just imagine yourself nodding at the stock looking S4 next to you at 10:30pm on that deserted street with no entry point or possibility of surprises sitting around the corner. Every city has them. Mark has his little 30 mph turn he takes at 55 we've all heard about. You think that little S4 has the car in "D" because it seems to be rocking just a touch. The light turns green and you both inch away from the line pacing each other, before you know it, you're stretching your legs in that 60k sports car you waited 4 months for. Then the guy next to you whacks the throttle and leaves you for dead.

Back to the mundane everyday drive going 10mph down the 405. Nothing to do but let the DAP carry you through the drone of traffic. Nothing except revel in the little nugget you have in the back of your mind that the other S4 next to you in traffic has no idea what's lurking under the hood of your little baby.

That's why we mod. That's why we tune. That's why we drive like WE live.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ibu11et
It seems two paradigms of ownership are meeting here in this thread. One being the OTS owner (off the shelf) and the other being the Modified crowd. I for one belong to the modified crowd. I've built some pretty serious cars in my lifetime. I understand how systems on these cars all work together. Sometimes adding a part here can take power away there.

It has been my experience that for whatever reason, 99.9% of cars come detuned from the factory. Now I'm not talking about adding a chip here or a piggyback unit there. I'm talking about real engine mapping. Fuel air ratios optimized for the exact location they are being used. Tweaking fuel/air/boost even just a little bit can make a huge difference. Long past are the days Mark is referring to when "chipping" a car meant increased lag just because the chip turned up the boost without taking everything else into account.

I have no doubt that the OP is feeling an across the board increase in performance. Off the shelf tunes are becoming commonplace not only for boy racers, but high end cars as well. Cobb Tuning has been in the business for a number of years now. They started working on Subarus. Then branched into Evos. Now they have Accessports for Porsche, BMW, Nissan, Mazda & VW. They aren't just tuning some crappy 5 year old cars either. We're talking cars worth well over 160-200k. I would trust them implicitly with my S4 should they add it to their lineup.

A talented master tuner can tune just about anything. So the argument that just because a company has diesel in their name, they cant be trusted with your S4 is a bit rubbish. The fact this DTUK company has been around quite a while does give them some clout in my book. I contacted them when the OP first mentioned he was thinking of going with their unit. They were accessible, friendly & knowledgeable. They are based in the UK and have had this spec S4 for over a year now as it was introduced last year in the UK as a 2017 model.

Now as to the argument that this car has enough power as it sits, well that is a very personal belief. Just because you can't see how anyone would need more power doesn't mean there is someone out there who can. Take your hall monitor uniform off for a minute and realize that enthusiasts are always looking for that oneup. Some add aftermarket blackout rings, some wrap the chrome on their trim. Some buy $3000 wheels. I add K&N filters, custom tuning, aftermarket exhaust, extrude honed intakes, bigger turbos, custom shift mapping, add to this list ad infinitum.

Just imagine yourself nodding at the stock looking S4 next to you at 10:30pm on that deserted street with no entry point or possibility of surprises sitting around the corner. Every city has them. Mark has his little 30 mph turn he takes at 55 we've all heard about. You think that little S4 has the car in "D" because it seems to be rocking just a touch. The light turns green and you both inch away from the line pacing each other, before you know it, you're stretching your legs in that 60k sports car you waited 4 months for. Then the guy next to you whacks the throttle and leaves you for dead.

Back to the mundane everyday drive going 10mph down the 405. Nothing to do but let the DAP carry you through the drone of traffic. Nothing except revel in the little nugget you have in the back of your mind that the other S4 next to you in traffic has no idea what's lurking under the hood of your little baby.

That's why we mod. That's why we tune. That's why we drive like WE live.
Hear hear!

I do have a question that perhaps is answered in your post (by that I mean you are in the 1% who, based on what you have written actually seem to know what you're doing, and why) -- re: the folks who buy an A4 and then spend thousands to improve it -- would you, knowing that you are much more knowledgeable than most folks, suggest that the person, who is less knowledgeable, spend the money on the next model up (keeping in mind the warranty issues for most folks is a real concern) and get a real S4 instead of trying to make an ersatz S4?

Follow up: What do you do about the warranty issue most of us who don't have your experience and skill would face?

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-11-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Hear hear!

I do have a question that perhaps is answered in your post (by that I mean you are in the 1% who, based on what you have written actually seem to know what you're doing, and why) -- re: the folks who buy an A4 and then spend thousands to improve it -- would you, knowing that you are much more knowledgeable than most folks, suggest that the person, who is less knowledgeable, spend the money on the next model up (keeping in mind the warranty issues for most folks is a real concern) and get a real S4 instead of trying to make an ersatz S4?
To each their own. I am one of the 1% that can also spot someone representing they have an S4 when they are really rocking the A4. I can spot a debadged 328i with M3 wheels. There isn't much you can do for those guys.

If an A4 could really be on the same level as an S car, maybe. But in my opinion, it can't for any reasonable amount of money.

That being said, I'm getting old now and all things being equal, I'd rather pay for the RS4 than build a crazy S4. But as we have all lamented, we can't. So I'll probably spring for a tune on my S4 and get it to around 400 hp (350ish WHP) and call it a day. The days of spending 30k on top of the price of the car are over for me. Who wants a 68k subaru STi when you can have an S4?
Old 07-11-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ibu11et
To each their own. I am one of the 1% that can also spot someone representing they have an S4 when they are really rocking the A4. I can spot a debadged 328i with M3 wheels. There isn't much you can do for those guys.

If an A4 could really be on the same level as an S car, maybe. But in my opinion, it can't for any reasonable amount of money.

That being said, I'm getting old now and all things being equal, I'd rather pay for the RS4 than build a crazy S4. But as we have all lamented, we can't. So I'll probably spring for a tune on my S4 and get it to around 400 hp (350ish WHP) and call it a day. The days of spending 30k on top of the price of the car are over for me. Who wants a 68k subaru STi when you can have an S4?
Well I do agree that I'd rather come up with a bit more coin for a factory S4 than a "fake" S4, even though an AS4 (an A4 with an S3 engine) would be, for many, a fine choice.

As I said, I may be a masochist, but I would at least get in line for the chance to try a real RS4 from the factory. I'd possibly consider an RS 3, but I just think the S3 I drove (several times) was too small and the interior looked like someone from a cheaper car brand designed it. I haven't seen the inside of an RS 3 in person, but the pictures just don't have the same look as what is presented by the S4.

Gadzooks! $30K for an upgrade -- that even eclipses the amount of money I've spent replacing wheels and tires when I spent the extra bucks on the + sized offerings, but, even my number is 5-figures (to the left of the decimal point.)

If my "special" curve is free from traffic (fat chance), I'll give it a go and re-read your post and live vicariously. Now where is that ACC stalk anyway?

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-11-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuned! 410hp, Black, Magma Red - Oh yes.