S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Turns out the S Sport Package is NOT included on the S4 I'm purchasing. Deal breaker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Miller, I was recently provided with a new A6 3.0T and I must say I immediately noticed "something" that I attributed to the supercharged engine -- but it could have been software or the tuning of the transmission.

I came (most recently) from a 2014 S4 with the DSG transmission and the 333HP supercharged motivator. While I -- overall -- wouldn't want to "go back" to the older S4, there is something that makes the combination of the DSG+the Supercharged engine a fond memory.

Truth be told, the 2018 S4 is more capable, more fun, more more. We humans always have the capability to want just what is out of reach. Overall, my current S4 is the best yet, but there is some very slight lingering memory that makes me wonder "what if" the current turbo motor was mated to the DSG. Wait a moment and that will pass. It's passed.

In the waning years of the cars we're now driving, it would be great for Audi to increase the power and torque of the current S4 and add the package offered on the RS5 that impacts the suspension -- also the RS5 tailpipes and grill would be nice (from a cosmetic perspective) too. Instead of $23,000 more, they could probably offer these more modest tweaks as an S4 Competition (as Audi is wont to name things) and charge perhaps $5,000-$8,000 more. It would be a "meaningful" option(s) rather than the almost entirely cosmetic offering just announced for the A4.

To further the point: I like the pedal dress up kit that comes on the S4 -- no doubt. But, if we could have an S4 Competition and it required the dress pedals to be declared "extra cost," I wouldn't have a problem paying the $195 (or whatever) Audi would ask, just as I would pay $400 for the red calipers. I guess what irks me is the subtle change the offerings bring (in some cases). Something in-between the S4 and RS5 could (I think) be a marketing home run, kindof like SLine option that isn't just for looks.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Miller, I was recently provided with a new A6 3.0T and I must say I immediately noticed "something" that I attributed to the supercharged engine -- but it could have been software or the tuning of the transmission.
I like your thoughts on the S+ (or whatever).

I wouldn't trade my B9 for my old B8. The chassis is solid and confidence inspiring. I think the engine is terrific - responsive with plenty of torque. I end up with a stupid grin on my face just about every day I drive it. I just think the nanny committee stepped in when it came to the throttle and transmission mapping. I wonder if we are feeling some of the after-effects of diesel gate.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Jalopnik’s (favorable) review of the S4:

”The S4 is jumpier on the throttle in Dynamic, but it didn’t feel like there was any major suspension change between the two when driven hard.”

Last edited by Wesley Walls; 07-07-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2800 miles on my car now and I switch between comfort and dynamic often. I notice almost no difference in the suspension feel on city streets. The car rides firm as a sport sedan should, IMO. Its never jarring or harsh just firm and confident in all modes. The sport diff does make a difference as others have pointed out and Im very glad I paid for the option (I have done quite a bit a aggressive canyon/mountain driving in my 2800 miles so far).
Old 07-11-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sforfun
I have 2800 miles on my car now and I switch between comfort and dynamic often. I notice almost no difference in the suspension feel on city streets. The car rides firm as a sport sedan should, IMO. Its never jarring or harsh just firm and confident in all modes. The sport diff does make a difference as others have pointed out and Im very glad I paid for the option (I have done quite a bit a aggressive canyon/mountain driving in my 2800 miles so far).
My primary complaint is I don't want things bundled -- I'm willing to cherry pick.

My dealer says it (bundling) actually makes selling and buying (most probably selling moreso) easier for customers. I guess that is true if you call "premium+" and "prestige" a bundle (which, after all, they are.) What irks me is that "driver assistance" used to be one bundle of options and navigation was part of it, then it became part of the technology package, then part of the towing package (just kidding on that one).

I'd really be OK with a bundle (that perhaps included a small discount), but I'd also like to just pick -- sport diff or red calipers or both even and not have to have other "features" thrown in.

I got spoiled when I drove the RS5 since the suspension adjustment Comfort Auto and Dynamic were each easily discernable. I mean when you went to Dynamic, you knew it, baby. I tried all three for some time and I believe the auto setting sorted things out a bit better than comfort and there was no danger of losing a filling.

THAT is my defintion of an adjustable suspension. I drove my B8 with the "adjustable" suspension and if you held a gun to my head and changed the ADS from comfort to dynamic, etc, I couldn't tell you if my life depended on it (it was so subtle, that is).

The dynamic steering was pretty cool in that at low speeds it was about one turn lock to lock, the thing was like a go-cart it was so steerable. But, you cant' get one without the bundle (makes no sense to me).

I'm a dying breed (hell I might already be dead and I just don't know it), I always order my cars exactly as I want them and wait. I think a dealer that has a lot of inventory is one that will charge me more since they have floor planning (and holding) costs -- dealers should have cars to be test driven. Period.

Of course, most of them that would even try this would go broke, so I know that is not a practical way to sell cars (so far). I just think there should be an A4 or S4 "shell" in the colors that you want and that you order the options and they either plug them in or program the software to activate them, Done.

Upgrading, too, (within limits) should be done by taking out the old "avionics" and putting in new ones with new software. Call THAT approach the .5 update. Charge us enough to make it a real thing, but don't make us buy a new car that looks 98% like the old car and has a few new features (and colors, woo woo).

Car manufacturers and dealers really are sitting ducks. I'm thinking they're going to be picked off or die off (like the dinosaurs) if something doesn't change. I saw that Samsung now has a program to always have current TV technology (and this notion is exactly what some computer companies do) -- you agree to a more or less "permanent" monthly payment (that is "reasonable") then, every 24 months you get a new state of the art TV, You start out with a great SD TV, upgrade to a new HDTV, then a markedly better HDTV, then a UHDTV, then a UHDTV with HDR, and in the wings? An 8K UHDTV -- you'll get it first and when it is upgraded two years later, you get that one.

Cars -- could be-- are currently disposable "things" yet they could be upgraded to current tech (within limits) every 36 months and we -- the customers -- could just make a payment of $X FOREVER. When we stopped the payments, we would get to keep the last car we had in the line until we wanted to re-up for the "always new" program.

Just a thought.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-11-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Upgrading, too, (within limits) should be done by taking out the old "avionics" and putting in new ones with new software. Call THAT approach the .5 update. Charge us enough to make it a real thing, but don't make us buy a new car that looks 98% like the old car and has a few new features (and colors, woo woo).

Car manufacturers and dealers really are sitting ducks. I'm thinking they're going to be picked off or die off (like the dinosaurs) if something doesn't change. I saw that Samsung now has a program to always have current TV technology (and this notion is exactly what some computer companies do) -- you agree to a more or less "permanent" monthly payment (that is "reasonable") then, every 24 months you get a new state of the art TV, You start out with a great SD TV, upgrade to a new HDTV, then a markedly better HDTV, then a UHDTV, then a UHDTV with HDR, and in the wings? An 8K UHDTV -- you'll get it first and when it is upgraded two years later, you get that one.

Cars -- could be-- are currently disposable "things" yet they could be upgraded to current tech (within limits) every 36 months and we -- the customers -- could just make a payment of $X FOREVER. When we stopped the payments, we would get to keep the last car we had in the line until we wanted to re-up for the "always new" program.

Just a thought.
It's definitely going in that direction. The car ownership model is changing. BMW, Daimler, Porsche and Cadillac and I might be missing one more are currently testing subscription models. For a fixed monthly payment that includes all maintenance and insurance you can drive any of their cars and change as many times as you want. You could technically be driving a different model every week. If it's broken, you drop it off and take another one. I believe they are all testing their program in Nashville at the moment. The subscriptions are a bit pricey for now. For example if you want access to all the BMW M models you gonna have to fork over $3700/month, but the idea is interesting if the costs come down. As it stands it's not competitive with leasing even given the all included maintenance and the ability the switch cars more often. Audi is experimenting with a different program here in the San Francisco Bay Area called Audi on Demand. It's more of a car sharing/rental model and a cool way to have a virtual fleet of Audis for different occasions. It keeps me from having to own something like an R8, but still be able to drive it on a day in the canyons. They currently have an R8 Coupe, Spyder and V10 Plus Coupe in their fleet. It's not cheap, but for me way cheaper than owning an R8 as a third car considering how often I actually have time and opportunity to drive it.

I'm definitely taking a hard look at whether I wanna continue to own cars. Manufacturers are less and less making exciting cars IMO. The current crop of RS vehicles isn't really exciting me, so that's why I'm still hanging on to my 2013 RS5. The R8 is fun once in a while, but not daily driver material for me. AMG at the moment still makes emotional performance cars, so that's why I'm looking at the 2019 C63 S as a potential next car. Thanks to Audi on Demand, I can still drive Audis when I feel like and see if there is something in their offerings that sways me back eventually. Maybe an RS5 Plus/Performance.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-11-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Subscriptions services are the rage these days, from phones, software, content, to (now) cars. Companies are excited to be the recipient of an annuity from their customers. Customers get pretty "sticky" when that payment is set to auto-pay
I deal with a lot of EA renewals and software vendors are pushing hard to move perpetual licences to a subscription model. Looks like the rest of the world is quickly following suit.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Volvo is the newest addition to the all-inclusive subscription model, first rolled out with the new (smallish) XC40, and now with the new S60, including the Polestar model.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I live in NYC so I have very ****ty uneven roads and I would say comfort vs Dynamic is pretty discernable. In comfort, I def feel the uneveness being absorbed and in dynamic, it isnt like my '15 WRX but it's def a bit rougher.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I thought I'd update this thread: I bought the car anyway.

I decided that even though I really wanted the S Sport package (mainly the adaptive dampers), the reality is that I was getting TOO good of a deal on this car, and to find one with the S Sport package would have meant a car that wasn't the same deal. You know what? I have ZERO regret. The car is phenomenal. I like it even more than I thought it would. It's 99% of the car with the S Sport package, and my experience with adaptive dampers on my BMW proved that 95% of the time, the effects are minimal, if imperceptible.

In fact, my only regrets are the standard 18" wheels (which can be changed) and the lack of adaptive cruise (I wasn't about to spend another $8-10K on a Prestige with DAP). This is a feature that is standard on a Corolla for goodness sakes; the car should come with DAP standard in lieu of massaging seats (I mean, seriously...). I love the Glacier White/Magma Red interior combo, and the car is otherwise equipped with more than anyone needs. It's a great time to be a performance car owner!

p.s. One week into ownership, I had a meeting out of town that necessitated a 3 hour drive through the Ozarks...superb, driver-oriented serpentine roads through the mountains - I was really pushing it, and never felt like I needed or missed the adaptive suspension or performance differential (though I realize they may provide measurable improvements a 9/10s).

Last edited by Wesley Walls; 07-26-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Turns out the S Sport Package is NOT included on the S4 I'm purchasing. Deal breaker?