S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

First five hardware mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default First five hardware mods

At tender age of one day, Pot VI already underwent five hardware modifications (well, between three and six, depending on how one's counting).

He got a left aspherical mirror, and a right wide angle one (both standard European equipment).
He got stripped of badges (99% standard European appearance, per my eyeball estimate based on my visit last month)
He got a custom iPhone holder, one that's specifically built for the iPhone 6s and the B9 platform.

So depending on how you count, that's 3-6 hardware changes, as well as some OBD11 changes to go along.
Attached Thumbnails First five hardware mods-rx500146.jpg   First five hardware mods-rx500147.jpg   First five hardware mods-rx500150.jpg   First five hardware mods-rx500151.jpg   First five hardware mods-rx500153.jpg  

Old 09-13-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
At tender age of one day, Pot VI already underwent five hardware modifications (well, between three and six, depending on how one's counting).

He got a left aspherical mirror, and a right wide angle one (both standard European equipment).
He got stripped of badges (99% standard European appearance, per my eyeball estimate based on my visit last month)
He got a custom iPhone holder, one that's specifically built for the iPhone 6s and the B9 platform.

So depending on how you count, that's 3-6 hardware changes, as well as some OBD11 changes to go along.
PM'ing you with some questions on badges.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No badges?! You should wrap your mirrors then everyone will for sure think it's an A4 . What phone mount is that, btw?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DillonM
No badges?! You should wrap your mirrors then everyone will for sure think it's an A4 . What phone mount is that, btw?
Back in the days, we could get the mirrors in body color as an option, and you can bet that's what I did

It's the ProClipUSA mount (ironically made in Sweden). Best. Mount. Ever.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Took the badges off my B9 S4 same as my old B8. It's a cleaner, less fussy look to me and I could care less whether anyone knows it's an S4.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the mount? I'm afraid to have a phone sitting in front of my vent. In the summer it would be fine, as the A/C would cool it, but in the winter won't the heat cause the phone to overheat? My phone gets very warm and starts dimming the display sitting in my windshield mount; I can't imagine what having the heat blasting on it would do.

Last edited by kstrike155; 09-15-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kstrike155
How is the mount? I'm afraid to have a phone sitting in front of my vent. In the summer it would be fine, as the A/C would cool it, but in the winter won't the heat cause the phone to overheat? My phone gets very warm and starts dimming the display sitting in my windshield mount; I can't imagine what having the heat blasting on it would do.
Good question, I have used a vent-mount in the past and my phone has shut down when the heat is on due to overheating. You would likely have to close the vent it is mounted to. I use a cupholder mount which seems to work well:

Amazon Amazon

Though with only 2 cupholders up front it's kind of limiting for the passenger.

This all brings up the question of why modern vehicle manufacturers have not provided some sort of built-in phone mounting system. They could have a base mount that attaches to various holders that you could buy depending on the model of phone you have. It seems obvious, but none of the major manufacturers seem to have implemented it. (Maybe with a few exceptions on certain models.)

Last edited by Johndefiore; 09-18-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Johndefiore
This all brings up the question of why modern vehicle manufacturers have not provided some sort of built-in phone mounting system.

Liability.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Talbot
Liability.
Yeah, maybe, though it's perfectly legal to mount a phone in the car, and if you have an accident because you were looking at your mounted phone is there any more liability than having an accident because you were looking at the big tablet thing Audi mounted to the dash? And if you were texting the liability is really on you, not the automaker.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Johndefiore
And if you were texting the liability is really on you, not the automaker.
Do you think that stops people from filing suit against the automaker in a wrongful death type scenario? I'm talking about USA here.

Quick Reply: First five hardware mods