S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

What "understeer mitigation" do you get if you don't get the Sport Differential

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Yup, superswiss nailed it re: what I was implying. Try out the "normal load" pressures, Mark, and then go rip through your secret curve. You will be absolutely amazed how much this car changes for the better.

On the subject of tire pressures... if you guys don't have a quality analog tire gauge, the best one I have ever used (and having once upon a time raced sportbikes, I have used many) is this one:
Amazon Amazon

I simply cannot recommend that specific gauge enough.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
It's actually the DOT that realizes 'merkins can't be trusted with too many numbers.

I figured it was down to the DOT.

In addition to: ugly amber reflectors on the front of my car. Lack of REALLY advanced headlight systems... I bet there's a ton of crap they're making me miss out on.

Maybe I could get Trump into getting rid of them.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Talbot
I figured it was down to the DOT.

In addition to: ugly amber reflectors on the front of my car. Lack of REALLY advanced headlight systems... I bet there's a ton of crap they're making me miss out on.

Maybe I could get Trump into getting rid of them.
Good luck with that... Mr. Trump is about going backwards not forward.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by James Cole
Good luck with that... Mr. Trump is about going backwards not forward.
I'm not sure how to differentiate those two things with what we have for a Federal Government.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok. Holy @#$@. When I was leaving work today (and in the rain, no less), I dropped SIX POUNDS of pressure from the back tires and 3.5 from the front tires (GO DEALERSHIP).

WOW, what a huge difference.

Mark, you gotta do it.

A big shout out to mplsbrian and superswiss for this info.

I really want a yurpean sticker for my car, now too.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok. Holy @#$@. When I was leaving work today (and in the rain, no less), I dropped SIX POUNDS of pressure from the back tires and 3.5 from the front tires (GO DEALERSHIP).

WOW, what a huge difference.

Mark, you gotta do it.

A big shout out to mplsbrian and superswiss for this info.

I really want a yurpean sticker for my car, now too.
So where did you set them at?

And in what exactly did you feel the difference?
Old 07-28-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

36psi front, 33psi rear.
Less push fro rear on turns (much less)
Ride quality much better. I don't feel like I'm on hard balloons now. I think the tirers are quieter, too.
Before this, I was thinking... these Bridgestones kinda blow, but now im seeing redemption.
Admittedly, this could be the power of suggestion, and my trip home is only about 7 miles. I'll have more opportunity to drive over the weekend.

Last edited by Talbot; 07-29-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

36psi front, 33psi rear.
Ride quality much better. I don't feel like I'm on hard balloons now. I think the tirers are quieter, too.
Before this, I was thinking... these Contis kinda blow, but now im seeing redemption.
Admittedly, this could be the power of suggestion, and my trip home is only about 7 miles. I'll have more opportunity to drive over the weekend.

Less push from rear on turns? I thought more push from the rear is better?
Old 07-29-2017, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

You don't think there can be too much push?
Old 07-29-2017, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

36psi front, 33psi rear.
Before this, I was thinking... these Contis kinda blow, but now im seeing redemption.
I will be out of town until next Wednesday, so I won't have my car or a chance to try your suggestion.

I apologize for not remembering, but those of you who are trying this lower inflation (albeit with the fronts pressurized higher than the rears), how many of you have 18" summer only ultra high performance tires with an aspect ratio of 40?

As an observation, if you have the 19" optional wheels with 35 series tires, you have noticeably stiffer sidewalls than my 40 series tires.

One of the features of the 35 series tires is that they can be made to ride better (and be quieter) with a few pounds lower air-pressure.

With 40 series tires with a couple of pounds more air, there can be more compliance (based on "how much" more pressure) than a lower profile tire considering that the additional stiffness of the air pressure in the 40 series comes from, uh, AIR rather than a stiffer sidewall.

So, my question regarding the 35 series v the 40 series makes me want to have two sets of wheels/tires one 18, one 19 with the same tire type, etc.

The thought process I have tried to convey, largely unsuccessfully, is that a tire with an aspect ratio less than 50 is "very" low profile, and if the car will not be tracked (that is driven on public roads, streets, etc.), there is really not much of any practical value to be gained by going to ultra low profile -- such as 40 or 35.

My wife has UHP summer only Continentals on her new SQ5 -- they are on 20" wheels and the tires are 45 series.

We set the sport adjustable "shocks" to dynamic and the car (OK, CUV) rides and handles great.

I never track my car, I rarely even get a chance (on my favorite curve) to be able to even touch the capabilities of my S4.

I love the idea you/we have discussed about altering the handling and ride characteristics of the car via air pressure, but I am really wondering about the contrast that we might feel should we try this with the 35 series and the 40 series.

One of the complaints about the 35 series is that they impart some ride harshness due, presumably, to the stiffness of the sidewall. The 18"s, although hardly cushy, are a bit less harsh from the get go.

So, the question stands, what is the wheel/tire size and what is the tire type you all are talking about when you suggest lowering the pressure to 36f/33r?

I will be trying this when I get back from San Antonio next week.

Quick Reply: What "understeer mitigation" do you get if you don't get the Sport Differential