S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

What's so wonderful about the 2018 S4 !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The dealer I bought from offered the full good discount on a custom order if I didn't like what they could get.

Yes, it is way better with Honda or Mazda and their trim levels vs tons of options - wants a Miata - simple - get the Clubsport and pick color. Porsche being the worst where everything is an option - leather trimmed AC vent - $2000, key fob painted body color - $600.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Audi, BMW and Volvo (here in Cincinnati), seem to almost prefer customers order cars. I have not asked how many of the 80+ cars they sell per month are spec'd and ordered, but I will and report back.

My rep sales bundling raises the MSRP because folks will want "this" which comes with "that" (and they are not really wanting "that") so they take THAT to get THIS. No one seems too put off by it. Other than me.

I don't see any connection between the sport diff and the adjustable struts and red calipers. I, therefore, voted with my dollars. Probably meant nothing, but I did it anyway.

I had hoped for rear sunscreens -- they are not offered in the US market. Park assist -- also not offered and no one seems to know why.

Audi's wheel choices are fairly limited, another lost opportunity, I think anyway.

Your preference for bundling apparently is what the US market wants -- but at least here in Cincinnati, ordering a car and waiting is pretty much SOP at the Euro car dealers. My wife and I start planning for the NEXT car pretty much when we pick up the current car -- about 13 months in, we start test driving.

We've ordered 30 of the 33 Audis we have had and all 3 of the BMWs we've had, too.

We may be purple squirrels.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I was really excited about the HUD but now I don't really think it is useful. I would not mind turning it off. Top view camera is a must have. Too bad they bundle it. And too bad it doesn't remember to never use graphic mode.
Felt the same way about the HUD which is another reason I didn't go with prestige. Lots of tech that is just not really needed/useful. It's just a luxury I didnt really need.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, but here is the issue.

With Premium plus, I would want Driver Assistance (need ACC and Pre-sense). Cold Weather. Warm Weather. Vision (need top-view camera). Ventilation. By the time you add those, Prestige is very little additional money, and comes with soft-close doors. I have posted the exact amount before, but can't remember it now. But it was not much at all.

I learned my lesson in the past - I bought a 4-Runner SR5 but loaded it to be like a Limited and it cost about as much. When I went to sell it, the Kelly BB price was for an SR5, not a Limited - so I lost more than had I got a Limited.

So only get lower trim levels if you are not going to add packages. It works out well with Honda and Mazda as they don't have options within trim levels.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 09-16-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, but here is the issue.

With Premium plus, I would want Driver Assistance (need ACC and Pre-sense). Cold Weather. Warm Weather. Vision (need top-view camera). Ventilation. By the time you add those, Prestige is very little additional money, and comes with soft-close doors. I have posted the exact amount before, but can't remember it now. But it was not much at all.

I learned my lesson in the past - I bought a 4-Runner SR5 but loaded it to be like a Limited and it cost about as much. When I went to sell it, the Kelly BB price was for an SR5, not a Limited - so I lost more than had I got a Limited.

So only get lower trim levels if you are not going to add packages.
Premium+ comes with pre-sense
  • Audi side assist and Audi pre sense® rear with Rear cross traffic assist with Vehicle exit assist 12
  • Audi pre sense® basic 12
  • Audi pre sense® city 12

The DAP is
  • Adaptive cruise control with Traffic Jam assist
  • Audi active lane assist
  • High beam assistant
  • Traffic sign recognition
The Cold and Warm you have to add independent of the Prestige.

The Prestige is just the Premium+ and It's just the cost of the added features of the Nav package, HUD, Acoustic front side glass. Almost all the stuff I didn't want (didn't want the HUD, VC, etc) so it made no sense to me.

And yes, that's what I did...got the P+ because I wasn't adding anything other then the Warm weather package.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, the Audi build page lists Pre-sense under DAP.

On the build page, if you take a Premium+ and add 20" wheels, CW, DA, VP, Vision, Tow and it comes to $69,650.

Prestige with CW, DA, TOW comes to $69,000 and includes soft-close doors.

I am not sure why the build is not mentioning Nav. Maybe the website is broken.
Where are you seeing that? I'm on the USA build site and DAP shows what I listed....wait are you on the Canada site? I see that on there page but not ours. USA is below.

Last edited by Spartan-S4; 09-16-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I assume he's referring to the Audi of Canada pricing.

Of course, getting what YOU want is what should be done.

From my perspective -- which, as far as I know, may only apply to ME -- Prestige is a bargain assuming you would go with the Technology package on a P+.

My first experience with a "top view" camera was during our brief departure from being an all Audi household when we leased an Infiniti FX in 2011. IT came with an "around view" monitor which made parking and other tight spot driving both safer and easier. We wanted "top view" on our next Audis, but in 2013 when we came back to Audi (big time) by going with '14 S4 and SQ5 cars, top view was not yet offered.

Now, in 2017, we both have new '18 S's and being Prestige means they came with top view. It seems -- to my wife and me, your opinion may differ and is equally valuable -- top view is essential tech. I do agree, somewhat, that the HUD is not as fully featured as it ought to be, but even it is a potential safety feature of no small importance. Again, you may disagree and since you're spending your money, you are correct.

What I believe is true from a content perspective is that Prestige versions are "high value" -- of course is you don't have any "use" for the additional content, regardless of its virtues relative to "bargain status", well you may see no reason to spend extra for features you wouldn't use no matter how up the value chain (cost of the features) the bundling takes you.

If you see $0 value in dual pane glass, then $1.00 is too much cost even if it could be demonstrated that its inclusion represents a "bargain."

My "fear" is that Audi is moving to a three model configuration. P, P+ and Prestige where the only choices customers will be offered are exterior and interior colors and summer only or Grand Touring tires.

Others are concerned that the Porsche model, if adopted, would mean much higher prices (nickeled and dimed to death as they say). Dealer reps want -- so it seems -- the good, better, best approach. Acura, Hyundai and a few others are already very close to being "free of choice" -- just go for the top tier and get the kitchen sink.

I guess what I want is the ability to buy a package for a bit of a discount OR cherry pick for a bit more money "per" -- I lament the lack of choice, bargain or no.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was on the wrong page.

I would like to see a move to no options within tiers. More like Honda and less like Porsche.

Pick a tier, color, and manual vs automatic (yes I know that is not happening due to lack of demand and cars going autonomous).
Old 09-17-2017, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

And, the other view: I'd like to see more and more choice -- even within P, P+ and Prestige.

Putting "everything" in a package may sell more cars. I'd find it very frustrating to want a couple of features in the "convenience" package and a couple in the "performance" and "premium" packages, but the only way to get them is to get the packages in toto.

Porsche may carry it to the extreme (I think they do), but you can fine tune your purchase -- you CAN have it "Your Way!"

"I like a Whopper with cheese please -- but I want it without mayonnaise but with mustard."

"Pull forward to the first slot -- we'll bring it out to you."

At least -- these days -- you can get it "your way."

Audi is slowly but surely limiting choice, by adding "in packages" more stuff -- which is good (first and foremost for Audi), for folks who don't mind getting something they don't want in order to get something they do want.

You folks who want DAP, but don't want HUD and dual pane glass can't get what you want unless you take stuff you don't want.

We ordered mine with DAP and my wife who thinks any kind of cruise control is a bad idea, elected not to order it -- but she did want heated rear seas and a heated steering wheel, Matador Red and Rotor Gray. She also WANTED UHP A/S tires, but Audi won't provide them, so she went with the Summer only tires (which are great), knowing that within 6 months she would have to cough up another $1,000 for four UHP A/S tires.

We are living in a time where "mass customization" is not only preferable but easier to implement. Yet even the Euro Mfgrs are going with low, medium and high contented versions.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Great post!

Some notes from another 2018 S4 Prestige owner.

While I realize/recognize there is a cost factor in my comments, it seems that this car should only come as "Prestige" and that there ought to be several options, packages and accessories that could be used by customers to personalize the finished product. The color pallet too (and the seat materials and colors) are part of the "options" that I'm speaking about.

Your comment:

"3.) Heads up display in the prestige is a must and a drive-changer. You no longer need to take eyes away from the road to see how fast you're going. This is what swayed us to order the prestige package. Should be a standard option on ALL cars now (especially the sportier ones)."

I completely agree, the HU display should be (and I predict WILL be) standard in all cars, regardless of MSRP); additionally the "Top-view monitor," too should be standard -- I was, frankly, blown away to check up on the NEWEST ($80,000+) member of the Porsche Cayenne family to find out that at that price there is no back-up camera even. The Audi back-up, front and/or rear corner view, top view and alerts (the red directional arrows with the braking help should you ignore the warnings) should be considered "standard" as they will surely reduce low speed body injuries (the car's body, of course) and ought to be "encouraged" by the insurance companies as a huge claim-saving device.

With respect to the HU display, I would think the turn signal indication should be added to the HU display as should the Audi Side-assist notification and probably even the radio station info -- and the information (well, most of it) should be configurable in the MMI. I wish, for instance, that the cruise control speed would remain on the screen and that if you're using the paddles, the gear your in should be displayed "M4" etc.

Your comment:

"4.) By far the most IMPRESSIVE feat in this car is the sport adaptive suspension, thats part of the s sport package. I have not driven this car without that package - but all I can say is this is the best out of the box daily-driveable suspension I have been in.

I would call it supple firm - where it is smooth going down the road, without the 'floating' feel that usually accomplishes such a feat. You still have GREAT road feel - without the ride being jagged. In dynamic mode - it stiffens it up a bit, but definitely not unbearably so. To me - THIS is the appeal of the s sport package, that you have instant feedback to (unlike rear diff which you have to get the car over 9/10s to start noticing potential differences)."

With respect to the "adjustable shocks" (dynamic, comfort, auto) vs. the "fixed shocks" (I've driven both) on the non SAS equipped version, the only difference (and it is minor) that I could discern is with the "comfort" setting. The fixed system seems to me to be about the same as the dynamic selection on the adaptive suspension (which would make sense). The comfort setting on the SAS system seems to have a tiny bit less damping (as it should) but I have to assume most folks who would opt for an S4 in the first place would not find "comfort" as a much used setting. As usual, I could be wrong, there may be folks who buy an S4 and long for the ability to "loosen it up a bit."

On the matter of the torque-vectoring differential, I hate to agree with you -- and as a standalone option I would have gone for it -- but the '18 S4 actually improved upon the "under-steering proclivities" of the 2014 S4 substantially PLUS the '18 S4 comes with brake-based (front and rear) torque management that uses the electronic stability program's sensors to determine the potential for under-steer and brakes the inside front and rear (if needed) wheel to provide a "pivot" capability to the car, thus mitigating under-steer. Although this system is inferior to the differential based system provided in the Sport Package offering, you correctly identified that you need to get over 9/10ths to actually get noticeable improvements attributable to the sport-diff. The vast majority of buyers of S4's will not track them -- ever. Most S4 buyers live in urban centers (meaning lots of traffic circumstances that make "appreciating" even the brake based "torque management" a rare event.)

The hell of it is -- speaking personally -- I wanted the sport diff (which up until the 2018 S4 was available as a stand-alone $1,100 option.) I will, in private, still complain (bitterly) that I couldn't get one -- but I will, also in private, know that it is highly improbable that I will ever even come close to driving in such a manner that I would even notice the sport-diff in action. I also believe I would make these exact same remarks if I had the sport-diff, but I would like someone at Audi to know they lost a sale by bundling. Apparently, Audi marketing determined that both their top and bottom lines improve when options that used to be sold separately are bundled -- actually this "bundling" is exactly what is done when one ticks the "Prestige" "package" on the order form.

Also, I would've given my left . . . uh, ear, to be able to order the red calipers, but alas, no dice. I showed them, huh?!?

As of today I am at about 5,400 miles -- best Audi EVER! Previously, my "best Audi ever" was a Teal-green pearl with brilliant white leather S6 (20v 5-cylinder), manual transmission -- with a STANDARD "Car Phone" (built into the leather covered arm-rest) -- the thing must've weighed many pounds, but it was, after all, voice controlled (after EXTENSIVE training).

Oddly (somewhat in response to your remark about NOT getting this particular option) I did have the dynamic steering on my 2009 A4 Prestige -- and in dynamic mode, it seemed like I could do a U-turn with about a quarter of a turn of the steering wheel. Not exactly sure what made it so expensive since it's main salient feature was its ability to allow huge changes in the angle of the steered wheels with tiny movements of the steering wheel. I actually think the dynamic steering and the red calipers are the most noticeable options you can buy (for different reasons, of course).

Speaking of quiet -- you're right, with the dual pane glass muffling the sounds of the outside world to the fullest, this S4 is one of the quietest cars I've ever driven or ridden in (at ANY price point). I have NOT been in a new A8, but I was provided an A8L as a loaner car last year and this S4 is remarkably quiet -- I remember thinking (about the A8) this isn't really much different than my 2014 S4 in terms of isolation from the outside world.

I had a new S6 for an "overnight" test drive -- it too wasn't as stealthy as the S4 and the Bose sound system in the S6 was, truth be told, HORRIBLE. The S4's B&O system is very impressive.

Knowing what I know now, I'd advise someone looking at one of these to go with:

Prestige
Fine Napa Leather
Driver Assistance
Dynamic Steering
and -- possibly -- a non-free paint color.

Period.

Also, I would advise NOT going with the Audi chosen "all/season" tire option -- which ends up being H-rated Grand Touring tires that completely fork-up the handling. Go ahead and take the summer only tires and know they will Live Fast and Die Young (about 12,000-14,000 miles). Then, if you need year 'round rubber, go with an Ultra-high Performance A/S set of tires from Continental, Michelin or Pirelli. Audi's choice of "all season" tires is something I would expect on, hmm, a Honda Accord or Chrysler 200.

Also, if you go with a dark or very dark leather interior, consider passing on the carbon fiber trim since the dash will be black and with the black carbon fiber trim, you will lose some of the contrast that makes the interior pop. Of course, if you love black seats, black dash, black headliner, etc, by all means consider the black gloss carbon fiber. To me, too monochromatic, not enough contrast. But, once again, I could be wrong.

The black optics package is pretty good looking too, but I was disappointed that it takes the "S"-ness of the S4 (which is the aluminum-look mirrors) away, opting instead to have the mirrors present themselves in body color (like the lesser A4).

Overall, though, after 33 of these great cars, our current '18 Prestige S4 and SQ5 are "The king and queen of the world!" (for the money).
I have the opposite opinion and wouldn't pay extra money for the HU display again. I had it in my BMW 335 and it was useless. A pair of good polarized sunglasses make it invisible. I use my cruise control to be sure that my speed is under control. The display in the S4 is so beautiful Id rather look at that.