S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

wheel alignment costs--$700 ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 AM
God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wheel alignment costs--$700 ??

Hey guys.
I'm looking to get my wheels aligned but dealer told me it usually requires more than just a wheel alignment since i have the DAP because adaptive cruise control needs to be adjusted, lane assist needs to be calibrated again and various other things. This is the first i've heard of it and they tried to sell me a $700 alignment while another audi dealership and a regular mom &said it doesn't all need to be adjusted and will do the alignment for $190 plus tax. Seems like 2 very different things from different dealerships and shops.
Have you guys had alignments done and if so did you have to have everything calibrated or just alignment was good enough?
While i can pay the $700 for the alignment, just seems like they are trying to sell me something i may not need, hoping you guys can help me with this.
It's a 2018 with DAP, S Sport, dynamic steering, Black optics
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Luis Decicco (12-27-2021)
Old 11-07-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer quoted me $499 for an alignment with DAP. I had a maintenance agreement which covered one alignment when I replaced my PZeros with another set of PZeros so the first one was free.

There are some good videos from other auto-makers around the safety system alignment.

I am about 1/2 through my second set of PZeros and will be going for the Michelin A/S's to last the rest of the life
of the car.

Not sure how about the tolerances are but most likely I am going to bite the bullet and do the $499 one once more
when changing the tires.

Service advisor stated that folks who even replace the windshield get surprised sometimes. Makes sense as one of the cameras are on
the windshield.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

IMHO, get the standard wheel alignment. The other things would need to be aligned if they actually moved and were in some sort of collision or damage. But since they were initially aligned based upon the wheels being true and aligned. Having the wheels aligned to such a state, should only make the ACC and such back to their initial design specs. Essentially having driven in a state where your wheels needed alignment would have caused the calibration of the other systems to take place, to degrade in the same manner/extent as the wheels.

I just called my SA and he verified what I've just written, that he wouldn't recommend the alignment on the other systems.
vkamnyev (02-12-2022)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
IMHO, get the standard wheel alignment. The other things would need to be aligned if they actually moved and were in some sort of collision or damage. But since they were initially aligned based upon the wheels being true and aligned. Having the wheels aligned to such a state, should only make the ACC and such back to their initial design specs. Essentially having driven in a state where your wheels needed alignment would have caused the calibration of the other systems to take place, to degrade in the same manner/extent as the wheels.

I just called my SA and he verified what I've just written, that he wouldn't recommend the alignment on the other systems.
+1. My dealer said an alignment for my car would cost around $600 or so because they had to “align the cameras”. My car doesn’t have ACC or surround cameras or whatever and the dealer knew that and still said he’d charge that much (I’m assuming he meant the camera for presense). I took it to an FNG which is popular in the local jap tuner scene who did it for $100 and my car has been working perfectly ever since.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@colladacool you do not need this alignment like @raj99 said you need this after things are moved. I personally changed my setup from summer to winter tires and I do use the use AUDI keep lane thingy works as good as it was before.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:34 PM
God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks @GTSX @raj99 @VipinLJ @manuS4 for your help!
I'm going to get the regular alignment done on monday from a mechanic friend who works at hyundai. It'll end up being $50 instead of $190 because of an employee discount, yayy!! lol
Only reason i'm getting it done is because i hit a big pothole earlier this week and it threw the alignment off. Luckily there seems to be no damage to anything else when i took the wheels off to look but i'll have my mechanic friend take a look just in case, i'm hoping nothing comes up. The autosteer still seems to be working just fine. Only slight problems i'm getting now is that it's pulling to the right on the straights and when doing a left handed corner, car doesn't seems to understeer, hoping the alignment will help fix this. I currently have on General G-max AS-05 18's on the car for winter, such a big difference from the continental sport contact 6 19' summers but the generals do seem to have pretty good grip overall. If there's anything i should be worried about regarding this understeer, please let me know, it's seems to understeer only when doing a left handed corner.
Thanks!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Let me get this straight... you own a ~$60,000 current model year Audi S car, that is equipped with Driver Assistance package, that is actively pulling to the right and exhibiting noticeable undesired handling characteristics in corners following a pothole hit...

...and you are getting it aligned at a Hyundai dealership for $50 using the employee discount?

GoinAudiMyMind (05-15-2021)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh ouch! Didn’t know about the pot hole.

Yeah I would take the alignment to a speciality place or just back to Audi.

Potentially a lot to reset with the steering sensor, etc. Espcially if something goes wrong Audi will correct.

Does seem like a tall order for $700 might call a few places?

Best of luck!
Old 11-12-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I have found the competence of Audi techs to be no better than those of much cheaper brands, and actually worse in quite a few cases. Spending $700 on an alignment at an Audi dealer is ridiculous.
The following 2 users liked this post by JD15:
Luis Decicco (12-27-2021), Thunder Beef (01-12-2022)
Old 11-12-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I have found the competence of Audi techs to be no better than those of much cheaper brands, and actually worse in quite a few cases. Spending $700 on an alignment at an Audi dealer is ridiculous.
I agree but I also thank the universe for giving me seven mostly trouble free Audi's since 2004.

Quick Reply: wheel alignment costs--$700 ??