S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement

New Mexico is a great place in terms of weather and the low risk of natural disasters. The roads aren't great but they sound like they are much better than a lot of other areas. The one thing we do have though is wind and rocks on the highway, or at least a lot of trucks that can throw them up. I replaced the windshield at least 5 times in the 12 years I had my allroad. And damn it wouldn't you know I just got a nice insta-star chip in my windshield of my relatively new S4. Called my windshield guy (yeah I know the guy who does all the glass for most of the premium dealers including Audi) and the first thing he said was, "Yeah, Audi is pretty proud of those windshields". Translation: It's gonna be expensive! He called me back and said he's bought cars for less money. Bottom line - $1100 installed. Insurance deductible - $1000. Now it's just a star chip less than the size of a US quarter coin so hopefully I can have the rock chip guy (different than the glass guy) get some adhesive in there to keep it from getting bigger, but at some point I will have to bite the bullet and replace it if it starts to grow. FYI, yes I do have a HUD which makes a difference. Apparently there is some special plastic embeded which makes the display look more crisp.

PS, the rock chip guy told me to put a piece of scotch tape over the chip until it can be sealed to keep moisture and contamination out. That way the adhesive will stick a lot better. I thought that was a good tip to pass along.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry about the windshield.
I didn't know about the more expensive glass for the HUD, that's news to me. I wonder what the difference is between non-hud equipped models?

My understanding of chip repair, is they apply some kind of UV activated epoxy to the glass to keep the chip from expanding out ward. In your case, probably worth not having to pay for a $1k screen.

Anybody notice that the Audi glass is REALLY susceptible to nicks and starring?? I've driven alot of newer Audis in the past few years, and to me they ALL do it.
Starring and light chips from road abrasion REALLy show up on the front screen, and can be seen at all times of the day and night.

Surprises and bothers me. You'd think Ze Germans manufactured their glass like they do their cars = bombproof.

gr
Old 04-22-2018, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I have 14,000 miles on my S4 and the windshield is pockmarked with sand-sized chips that you can feel. It's extremely frustrating, my Honda had more durable glass than this.

I too have heard that replacing the windshield on these puppies is a multi-thousand dollar ordeal, and it also requires a new gel pad for the rain sensor and potentially calibration of the front facing camera used for Presense and lane keep assist. Translation: don't follow semi trucks, and *definitely* carry full glass w/ $0 deductible coverage.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger That!

Not to Hijack this tread but, how are the headlight lens holding up? Anything proactive we can do to prevent pitting?
Old 04-22-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

OEM replacement for my 2013 Civic cost me $800, but my insurance paid for it all without any deductible, didn't have specific glass coverage as mentioned in mplsbiran's post. Not sure if it's the same across all states, but I didn't have to pay deductible for windshield replacement.

@mplsbrian I 100% agree with you on durability of the glass. My wiper took a piece of sand and created a nice streak from bottom of the windshield to the top left corner, directly in my view. :/
Old 04-23-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And not to beat a dead horse, but WORST OEM wipers I've had on any car ive EVER owned. Period.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CUBA142
Not to Hijack this tread but, how are the headlight lens holding up? Anything proactive we can do to prevent pitting?
I had a 3M clear bra installed within 24 hours of buying my car. I did full front (all painted forward-facing surfaces of the front bumper plus the headlights) and partial hood. It was quite expensive (even at an independent installer) but worth it: within the first week it saved from a nasty rock chip on the protected area of the hood; the chip sliced right through the film but stopped before hitting clearcoat/paint. I've had the car almost a year now and noticed another good slice missing from the film on my left headlight when I washed my car the first time this spring so it must have saved me there at some point too.
The film is self healing; there are zero signs of pitting or wear anywhere that it covers aside from the aforementioned rock strike areas. It hasn't yellowed or faded yet whatsoever; I'm sure it will not last 10 years but I'm banking on it lasting at least 4-6.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I got my ding on windshield on 15 miles . There is nothing to protect the windshield as per my dealer.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Got a small chip at the top of the windshield where it attaches to the roof panel. Barely 10 miles into a 2500 mile trip. Expanded all the way across the windshield to the center by the time my trip was done. Was quoted 1500 for new windshield and calibration (all the safety jazz) but only paid the 500 insurance deductible. Picked up the car today and what do you know? Wife calls telling me her TT has a crack that is expanding across. Fun times!