S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Winter wheel & tire options

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
Of course they will say that. And of course the S5 and S4 have the same wheel fitment. You will be fine. The critical thing is brake clearance. If the wheel clears the S5 brake, it will clear the S4 brake.

The OEM rim is ET40, so the ET35 will be fine. But don't go too much farther away from the stock offset.
Is that confirmed for the OEM rim of ET40 and is that the 19 or 18 inch wheel?
Old 09-16-2017, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan-S4
Is that confirmed for the OEM rim of ET40 and is that the 19 or 18 inch wheel?
Was in some reference UK literature for the 19" wheel.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan-S4
That's another reason I went with 18's on my ordered S4. When we finally get fitments I'll be ordering a set of the Hartmann replica 18's that match the 19's that you can option on the S4 and will be selling my 18's that came with the car...want to have these Hartmann's hopefully by October before my car comes in late Oct/early Nov.

https://www.hartmannwheels.com/audi-wheels#uid-3
I'm in the same boat as you. My S4 will arrive in early November, and I'm thinking of buying the same Hartmann wheels for my winter set. Based on this thread, it seems like the 18" ET32s Hartmann should fit. But I don't want to spend that kind of money without knowing for sure.

Having said that, I actually really like the OEM Audi 18" wheels. If you decide to sell yours, I may be interested in buying them.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
Was in some reference UK literature for the 19" wheel.
Any clue what the 18" is?
Old 09-18-2017, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
Yeah, tirerack's website is incomplete on the s4 18" winter tire/wheel situation. I'm in a similar situ- picking up an S {something} w/ 19"s in dead of winter my when lease is up. And I was considering the same 18" aftermarket /Alpins.

And you ain't kidding- I saw the front brakes on the s4/5 today for the first time in person, and they are ridiculously huge! They dwarf the rears. I think it was because the red calipers definitely called attention to that for me.
I was just on tirerack's website, and the S4 isn't listed, but if you choose S5, there are tire and wheel packages in a 17" wheel, I was shocked to see that a 17 would fit over these brakes. I'm still skeptical.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by zamboni27
I was just on tirerack's website, and the S4 isn't listed, but if you choose S5, there are tire and wheel packages in a 17" wheel, I was shocked to see that a 17 would fit over these brakes. I'm still skeptical.
Likewise. This oddity alone has me waiting for official S4 results on tirerack, or at minimum some confirmed, detailed fitment info w/ photos here on the forums.

FWIW, my first B9 experience was renting a 2017 A4 Premium via SilverCar, which had the base 17" wheels. I very clearly remember how crammed-in-there its front brakes looked and I can't fathom a way fitment would work with S4 calipers.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi guys-
I know many of us are chomping at the bit for fitment information, like me. I will spare you guys the lengthy recap of all the different reasons a wheel might not fit, and instead simply post this picture I thieved from TireRack to illustrate the many potential fitment challenges that must be considered when selecting an aftermarket wheel. Hopefully that suffices to illustrate why I'm hesitant to be a guinea pig.

I contacted TireRack today in hopes of getting an update from them. Here's what I learned.
  • TireRack has no ETA for publishing 2018 S4 fitment info.
  • The latest possible date they expect to have it for this car is "March/April 2018" (...sigh)
  • They have 1 engineer who measures about 300 cars a year, and the guy I talked to claims they don't have a way to contact that person and let them know that there's a forum full of people anxiously looking to pull the trigger on wheels over here on AW who would appreciate even the tiniest morsel of an update or more refined ETA. (I don't actually believe they have "no way" to contact this individual, but that's the line I was told...)
  • They are apparently going to forward my inquiry to their forum moderator and that person will maybe pop in here to say hi. (I sure would appreciate that!)
Old 09-29-2017, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Hi guys-
I know many of us are chomping at the bit for fitment information, like me. I will spare you guys the lengthy recap of all the different reasons a wheel might not fit, and instead simply post this picture I thieved from TireRack to illustrate the many potential fitment challenges that must be considered when selecting an aftermarket wheel. Hopefully that suffices to illustrate why I'm hesitant to be a guinea pig.

I contacted TireRack today in hopes of getting an update from them. Here's what I learned.
  • TireRack has no ETA for publishing 2018 S4 fitment info.
  • The latest possible date they expect to have it for this car is "March/April 2018" (...sigh)
  • They have 1 engineer who measures about 300 cars a year, and the guy I talked to claims they don't have a way to contact that person and let them know that there's a forum full of people anxiously looking to pull the trigger on wheels over here on AW who would appreciate even the tiniest morsel of an update or more refined ETA. (I don't actually believe they have "no way" to contact this individual, but that's the line I was told...)
  • They are apparently going to forward my inquiry to their forum moderator and that person will maybe pop in here to say hi. (I sure would appreciate that!)
So our only option is to buy a piece of **** for the winter and garage it or put snows on the 19"s...
Old 09-29-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ShawnM789
So our only option is to buy a piece of **** for the winter and garage it or put snows on the 19"s...
I plan on calling my dealer over lunch to explain the situation. My hope, at this point, is to get confirmation from Audi's service technicians on whether the stuff shown in the diagram I posted is the same for the 2018 S4 as it is for the 2018 S5 (which TireRack does have fitment info for).
With that information, I may just decide to be a guinea pig/take the risk and rely on a return policy to hopefully cover me if they are wrong.

But yeah, the answers I got from TireRack where extremely disappointing. There have got to be at least 50 people monitoring this and other threads (including many who lurk/don't post) who are ready to pull the trigger on a wheel and tire package; you would think it would be worth the tens of thousands of dollars in sales they stand to gain to get off the damn live chat for 30 seconds to pick up the phone and call their damn fitment engineer for an update.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
I plan on calling my dealer over lunch to explain the situation. My hope, at this point, is to get confirmation from Audi's service technicians on whether the stuff shown in the diagram I posted is the same for the 2018 S4 as it is for the 2018 S5 (which TireRack does have fitment info for).
With that information, I may just decide to be a guinea pig/take the risk and rely on a return policy to hopefully cover me if they are wrong.

But yeah, the answers I got from TireRack where extremely disappointing. There have got to be at least 50 people monitoring this and other threads (including many who lurk/don't post) who are ready to pull the trigger on a wheel and tire package; you would think it would be worth the tens of thousands of dollars in sales they stand to gain to get off the damn live chat for 30 seconds to pick up the phone and call their damn fitment engineer for an update.
I did get a price from my local dealer for a set with rim and tires, snow/18", round figures $3200+/- without finding the email. Then just 18" OEM rims I was able to get them down to $450 each.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel & tire options